No one is iliegal

Old Nov 22nd 2014, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No one is iliegal

Originally Posted by Gozit
Sounds good to me. It works for Qatar so why couldn't it work here?
Lack of unlimited amounts of oil easily shippable to China and America.
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 12:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
Unless I misinterpreted what you just said ...

yet you'd be OK if the local cops in your neighbourhood who stopped someone that was speaking in a foreign language, asking for identity, likely because the paraoid think there is a bunch of terrorists walking around?

or, in Malta a drunk Brit (speaking gibberish) gets shoved & pushed around by the local police, beaten & locked up, without never asking the individual for their identity?

Policing is just that ... 'serve & protect'
Err yeah you did misinterpret. I'm very sceptical of the police and always know my rights. I would most definitely not be OK if a cop stopped someone on the street and asked them for ID. We don't live in the US for christ sake.

The latter one, no I wouldn't be ok with that either as he's walking down the street, he has no obligation to carry ID. As for being beaten up and put in the drunk tank, that's up to his behaviour. If he was resisting arrest and otherwise (legitimately !) endangering the well being of the cop or others around him then the standard procedure would be to put them in the drunk tank would it not?
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds good to me. It works for Qatar so why couldn't it work here?

Re: the OP. I think its totally wrong to stop traffic like they did. I agree with Oakvillian's original posts. At a traffic stop you are only obliged to show your driving license. That doesn't prove if you are an immigrant or not. Its just a driving license. I don't carry my passport or immigration docs in my car and neither does anyone else unless they go to the border a lot.
You have a car?

That's planning ahead

I think if the police suddenly require people to carry specific documentation, it should be made public and obvious so that people carry it. As for the motives behind asking, they may be questionable.
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 2:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dashie
You have a car?

That's planning ahead

I think if the police suddenly require people to carry specific documentation, it should be made public and obvious so that people carry it. As for the motives behind asking, they may be questionable.
Oops grammar error. I wouldn't carry my passport in my car if I had one. But when I start driving in 2 months I won't carry it either.

The police would have to cut through a whole lot of federal red tape to make it legal so i'm not too worried about that happening.
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 3:04 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
I would call it targeted entrapment. And it worked a treat.

How many illegal worker do you think will be working tax free today?
I know of one in this area. Working cash in hand not paying taxes. They were here for 7 years but the marriage broke down, no money coming in, and had to leave. The local feeling was that this white American should be allowed to stay as they have Canadian children, they said they weren't here illegally even though they had no work permit as they weren't working. They are now back and working while a spousal application is in process.

Double standards operating .
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

Steveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to all

Oops grammar error. I wouldn't carry my passport in my car if I had one. But when I start driving in 2 months I won't carry it either.

The police would have to cut through a whole lot of federal red tape to make it legal so i'm not too worried about that happening.
Wait a minute, though. Having your drivers licence with you when driving is pretty much mandatory ....... however ..... to obtain a drivers licence you are required to provide at least two acceptable forms of ID. I wonder just how many " illegals" can do this. I suspect a large percentage have no licence; thus no insurance.
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 6:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Steveh27wp
Wait a minute, though. Having your drivers licence with you when driving is pretty much mandatory ....... however ..... to obtain a drivers licence you are required to provide at least two acceptable forms of ID. I wonder just how many " illegals" can do this. I suspect a large percentage have no licence; thus no insurance.
This is a good point.
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 6:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bats
I know of one in this area. Working cash in hand not paying taxes. They were here for 7 years but the marriage broke down, no money coming in, and had to leave. The local feeling was that this white American should be allowed to stay as they have Canadian children, they said they weren't here illegally even though they had no work permit as they weren't working. They are now back and working while a spousal application is in process.

Even if they WERENT working they would be illegal because American citizens only have 6 months out of every 12 as a "visitor". Double standards indeed.
Old Nov 25th 2014, 12:10 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Lot of generalization in this thread, we don't know who CBSA picked up and sent to detention, they could be hardened criminals on the lamb for all we know.

Also illegality is something that can only be determined in court, perhaps some of these people have a legitimate claim to asylum for example.

And employers exploit them, e.g. by paying less than the prevailing wage.

Anyway, my personal view is this is going to get worse because of the new restrictions on TFWs, but the number of people unlawfully present in Canada is very low compared to most developed countries. The estimates I've seen are somewhere around a little over 100,000. Which is tiny. And my understanding is that a lot of those are failed asylum seekers, so the comments earlier in this thread about people visiting and staying illegally - well it definitely does happen, but it's not some gigantic problem.

I always remember those Mexicans who were stopped and waiting at primary inspection on Highway 6 I think it was, anyway this was before visa requirements were imposed. Three of them I think jumped out the truck and ran into the woods and two were later found dead of exposure. Comment from CBSA superintendent in the paper: "Er... they're not illegal here."
Old Nov 25th 2014, 12:18 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats

Well no not really because this happens with Canadians in the US all the time, they get married to Americans and never get the paperwork done. I've seen situations where they didn't even realize there was paperwork until their spouse died. Or, a Canadian will get married to an American but already has kids and doesn't realize there is any paperwork until they grow up and need to get SSNs.

Also, loads of people go down to NYC from Québec at Christmas to sell trees, which is blatantly illegal but CBP seem to turn a blind eye to it.

Regardless of colour, I just think the whole Canadian/US immigration thing is totally mad. The one thing that really wound me up was when the city of Calgary hired a bunch of people from the UK to be C-train drivers, when the US was in recession and they could easily have hired them from the US. Then when they all got laid off there would have been no scandal as there eventually was.

The problem is that Canada fears a "brain drain" to the US and the US is just generally paranoid so all these stupid immigration restrictions remain. (Even though nurses and doctors can work in the US quite easily under NAFTA, so I never get how this "brain drain" is supposed to happen).
Old Nov 25th 2014, 12:21 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Well no not really because this happens with Canadians in the US all the time, they get married to Americans and never get the paperwork done. I've seen situations where they didn't even realize there was paperwork until their spouse died. Or, a Canadian will get married to an American but already has kids and doesn't realize there is any paperwork until they grow up and need to get SSNs.

Also, loads of people go down to NYC from Québec at Christmas to sell trees, which is blatantly illegal but CBP seem to turn a blind eye to it.

Regardless of colour, I just think the whole Canadian/US immigration thing is totally mad. The one thing that really wound me up was when the city of Calgary hired a bunch of people from the UK to be C-train drivers, when the US was in recession and they could easily have hired them from the US. Then when they all got laid off there would have been no scandal as there eventually was.

The problem is that Canada fears a "brain drain" to the US and the US is just generally paranoid so all these stupid immigration restrictions remain. (Even though nurses and doctors can work in the US quite easily under NAFTA, so I never get how this "brain drain" is supposed to happen).
Couldn't they hire Canadians?
Old Nov 25th 2014, 12:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The one thing that really wound me up was when the city of Calgary hired a bunch of people from the UK to be C-train drivers, when the US was in recession and they could easily have hired them from the US. Then when they all got laid off there would have been no scandal as there eventually was.
What, so US nationals/the US in general is better than the UK? US citizens should have more priority in Canada then British citizens? Why would that be? We have more historical ties to the United Kingdom than we do to the US.
Old Nov 25th 2014, 12:33 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by Shard
Couldn't they hire Canadians?
What Calgary? No they tried apparently and then decided they had to go to Leeds. I asked my alderman many times why, they just wouldn't say why in any detail, I got the impression they just wanted to go to Leeds and have the city pay for a trip abroad. It just seemed bizarre to me to go to Leeds. Someone on here did have an explanation as to why they needed them so badly, I forget why but I still can't understand why they couldn't go to Chicago and hire them.
Old Nov 25th 2014, 12:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What Calgary? No they tried apparently and then decided they had to go to Leeds. I asked my alderman many times why, they just wouldn't say why in any detail, I got the impression they just wanted to go to Leeds and have the city pay for a trip abroad. It just seemed bizarre to me to go to Leeds. Someone on here did have an explanation as to why they needed them so badly, I forget why but I still can't understand why they couldn't go to Chicago and hire them.
What is the difference between Chicago and Leeds? Why is the US so special? I for one applaud them for going somewhere other than the US for once
Old Nov 25th 2014, 12:39 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

What, so US nationals/the US in general is better than the UK? US citizens should have more priority in Canada then British citizens? Why would that be? We have more historical ties to the United Kingdom than we do to the US.
Yes they should imo. Especially given that the cost of finding them and moving them here is much less. Plus if you have to lay them off (which they did) it's nowhere near as big of a deal for them to drive back to the US, is it?

It just seems obvious you should try the next nearest country before you start poking around on another continent. And clearly someone from say, Chicago or Detroit would adapt more quickly to the weather, etc. Less of an upheaval for them, all they've got to do is put their stuff in a U-Haul.

Another example is the boom in house building, I knew someone who was from Missouri and he was a TFW and his employer just couldn't be bothered to do the paperwork for his PR application so he ended up going home. Well how stupid is that? All of these Americans out of work when the housing market collapsed and companies are bringing in people from Brazil?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.