Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

No good deed goes unpunished

No good deed goes unpunished

Old Aug 17th 2016, 1:33 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No good deed goes unpunished

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Unless your case gets selected for Judge Judy!

Or the Not Judge Judy
Old Aug 17th 2016, 1:37 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Hah!
Old Aug 17th 2016, 1:37 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry this crap happened to you Bristol. You seem like a genuinely kind person and this is the thanks you get.
Old Aug 17th 2016, 2:06 pm
Back in US & happy!

becks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond repute

I have rented a few places, both in UK and we are renting now in US. Each time I left the place cleaner than when I moved in. But this place was a nightmare, we were promised it would be cleaned before we moved in, but it wasn't. We still can't get the sharpie scribbles off the fireplace, there was food on the ceiling of the dining room. The closet in our bedroom had some weird sticky stuff that would not wash off - I ended up painting over it.

But the fridge was the worst, it took me a week to clean it, it was full of blue goo mixed with black hair. It really looked like a bruised smurf had exploded in it!!

I really don't know how people can live like it. The previous tenants was a single woman with kids, her husband had moved for a job and they finally joined him. I recently found out that they told the landlord that if he didn't give them a good reference, they would refuse to move out. Some people are just so horrible, god knows what those kids will be like as adults!! But it certainly puts me off the idea of buying a place to rent out.
Old Aug 17th 2016, 3:25 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by becks_r

But the fridge was the worst, it took me a week to clean it, it was full of blue goo mixed with black hair. It really looked like a bruised smurf had exploded in it!!
Ewww...I cant stand hair near or in food - I would be gagging every 30 seconds if I would have to clean that.

I remember moving into my current place and I could not pull out the plug properly in the bath so it meant when the shower was on, the water built up. Finally after a lot of strength i pulled it out and found out it was because of a built up of hair - I must of held my breath whilst dealing with it!
Old Aug 17th 2016, 3:47 pm
Back in US & happy!

becks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond repute

The most annoying thing about it was that the fridge packed up completely about 2 months after I cleaned, seemed such a waste of effort. I joke about the dirt in the fridge was keeping it working! But with hindsight, I should insisted on it being removed and new one put in it's place. Hopefully when we move next year we will be buying....
Old Aug 17th 2016, 7:03 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

The most annoying thing about it was that the fridge packed up completely about 2 months after I cleaned, seemed such a waste of effort. I joke about the dirt in the fridge was keeping it working! But with hindsight, I should insisted on it being removed and new one put in it's place. Hopefully when we move next year we will be buying....
Yep next place I will be in will be my own as well
Old Aug 17th 2016, 7:16 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

I have rented a few places, both in UK and we are renting now in US. Each time I left the place cleaner than when I moved in. But this place was a nightmare, we were promised it would be cleaned before we moved in, but it wasn't. We still can't get the sharpie scribbles off the fireplace, there was food on the ceiling of the dining room. The closet in our bedroom had some weird sticky stuff that would not wash off - I ended up painting over it.

I really don't know how people can live like it. The previous tenants was a single woman with kids, her husband had moved for a job and they finally joined him. I recently found out that they told the landlord that if he didn't give them a good reference, they would refuse to move out. Some people are just so horrible, god knows what those kids will be like as adults!! But it certainly puts me off the idea of buying a place to rent out.
Lone female with kids, again, anyone else see a pattern here !!!
Old Aug 17th 2016, 7:33 pm
Back in US & happy!

It certainly struck me as a pattern!!

A few days after we moved in the neighbours told us of a day they had to look after the kids. The wife said - those kids needed to be medicated!!! They drew on everything with felt pen, another thing they did was run the tumble dryer without the lint filter. My hubby pulled the thing apart and found the outlet pipe wedged with lint and more black hair. It filled 3 wastepaper bins. Such a fire hazard - especially as it was a gas tumble dryer. To this day I have no idea what the black hair was from - makes me shudder!!
Old Aug 17th 2016, 7:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

In my rental experience in Canada, landlords do a poor job of cleaning between tenants and rely too heavily on the previous tenant to do it and when they don't the new tenant ends up having to do it. Suppose landlords see it as free cleaning labor.

Can't say I have rented an apartment yet that would be considered move in ready and clean and always requires quite a lot of cleaning.

Last place we moved from, I spent a lot of time cleaning it once empty, it was so clean the landlord sent a card to the new place thanking us and gave us a $25 gift card.

Next time we move, I am going to hire a cleaner. After placing and loading a truck having to go back and clean sucks.

Owning would be ideal, but not possible in BC so have to wait on that until we leave Canada.
Old Aug 17th 2016, 7:42 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
In my rental experience in Canada, landlords do a poor job of cleaning between tenants and rely too heavily on the previous tenant to do it and when they don't the new tenant ends up having to do it. Suppose landlords see it as free cleaning labor.

Can't say I have rented an apartment yet that would be considered move in ready and clean and always requires quite a lot of cleaning.

Last place we moved from, I spent a lot of time cleaning it once empty, it was so clean the landlord sent a card to the new place thanking us and gave us a $25 gift card.

Next time we move, I am going to hire a cleaner. After placing and loading a truck having to go back and clean sucks.

Owning would be ideal, but not possible in BC so have to wait on that until we leave Canada.
I realise it's in your experience, but sometimes it happens the other way 'round. I did lots of work for landlords renovating after destructive tenants.
Old Aug 17th 2016, 7:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I know there is no set experience and I am sure many landlords are fine, but I cannot comment on clean apartments since it's never happened and based on the condition of places at move in, I do know how people leave places.

I also realize we rent in lower rent places due to our budget, so they tend to not be kept in the best condition and higher rent places are likely kept in better condition.

Originally Posted by caretaker
Rash generalisation, sometimes it happens th other way 'round.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Aug 17th 2016 at 8:02 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2016, 7:50 pm
Back in US & happy!

Our landlord lives in France, so he relies on a property manager. I am sure the original property manager was on the take, he would charge the landlord for employing contractors to do work, but come and do the work himself and did it badly.

I emailed the landlord saying I didn't trust him. Then the property manager replied to my phone call asking why he hadn't replied to my text with the following comment: oh yes, I saw your text but decided to ignore it!!

After that I refused to have him in the house and finally the landlord got another, much better property manager.

But I am with you, if I rent again I will get a cleaner in. And if I can, I will take the amount they cost off the rent
Old Aug 18th 2016, 7:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
This is a counter to the "kindness of strangers" thread...
Damn that is bad! The things landlords have to put up with from tenants is disgusting especially when you've been a good landlord to her!

What gets me is how the people who struggle with rent always seem to amass so much crap and random items which they then leave in the property! (My step dad had property and it was always those that struggled with rent that left the place full of the most random things often acquired in a very short time).
Old Aug 18th 2016, 11:41 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
What gets me is how the people who struggle with rent always seem to amass so much crap and random items which they then leave in the property!
There's truth in that.

It's probably a desire to make use of things. I mean all those cabinet doors would come in handy if one day you find some cabinets.

Imagine the frustration of throwing some out or not salvaging them from a 'spring clean-up' pile in the street and then one day coming across some matching part that together would have made a complete item. Like throwing away a right handed glove and then finding a left handed one.

Then, when you move, you leave it behind or else there's no room to collect stuff at the new place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.