Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The nice Christmas music thread

The nice Christmas music thread

Old Nov 2nd 2019, 8:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The nice Christmas music thread

OK who is waiting for the 1st poster to point out that the title should be changed to the nice Holiday music thread after all it is 2019 and we should be inclusive of all?
Those of us who are old enough remember the time when it was Christmas and nobody was offended by the word Christmas.
Perhaps your parents got a Littlewoods catalogue for you to thumb through to choose your present well in advance as Amazon wasn't around. You would spend hours looking at it and not distracted by your best friends current status on Facebook or what somebody had made for supper or being a follower of the Kardashians.

Christmas Eve would be spent in front of the TV picking which of the 3 channels you were going to watch. Well you didn't really pick the channel as Dad decided what was going to be watched. You put out mince pies and a glass of Sherry (Vat 69) for Santa and you went to bed early in anticipation of the following morning.
You would get up bright and early without checking your cell phone or turning on the computer. There would be brightly wrapped boxes under the Christmas tree each with a label on indicating who it was for. This year was the special one as if all your wishes were going to come true the item you wanted wouldn't be in a box. You would look around knowing it was also too big to fit under the tree and there it was the bright yellow Raleigh Chopper.

But before you could take it out for a test ride you knew you had to take the dog out for a walk. So you put your winter coat on and if you were lucky in the present's stakes you might find a new flat cap or a pair of clogs. You would get a piece of tinsel from the tree and attach it to the dogs collar and then take your whippet for a walk. Later on in the day you might cycle over to your Aunties for more mince pies and to show off your new bike and as a sign of goodwill you would take the bucket out to the coal shed and fill it with coal so she wouldn't have to go out later herself.

But the best thing was in those days is that you could go around to the next door neighbours house and ask their 12 year old daughter if she wanted a ride on your chopper?
Old Nov 2nd 2019, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Men!

What about Mince Pies, Christmas Cake, Christmas Pudding, Quality Street, Roses...all the good stuff?
Maybe a brandy soaked mince pie on Christmas eve then....hang on I have just given myself an idea....a kraken soaked mince pie. and cream.....hmmm......now thats an idea..

Anyway back to food....the other good thing about Christmas..... cheese!! lots of it!! ahhh....fantastic!! Cheese is already the food of gods and Christmas is a good excuse to buy it all!! because we all know cheese is very expensive in Canada and no one knows why! so we can treat ourselves at Christmas.
Old Nov 2nd 2019, 7:59 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I heard Jingle Bells on the radio yesterday. It depressed me no end.
Old Nov 2nd 2019, 8:29 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
...your parents got a Littlewoods catalogue for you to thumb through to choose your present well in advance as Amazon wasn't around. You would spend hours looking at it ...
Be honest, it wasn't only the toys pages we were looking at though was it.

Old Nov 2nd 2019, 8:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

When I was a kid we would go to my dad's sisters house for dinner on Christmas Eve, all my cousins would be there, grandparents would be there, we did that every year until 1992, that point on we didn't do anything for Christmas Eve and I rarely saw my cousins.

On Christmas Day as a kid we would go to my great aunts house for lunch after we opened our gifts from Santa.

Originally Posted by Oink
This is not just a music thread, it's good to share Christmas the traditions that we've had and now have transitioned and combined from the UK to Canada. I like buy a pork pie, stilton cheese, pickled onions for Christmas eve.
Old Nov 3rd 2019, 1:50 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

The most magical thing about Christmas when I was eight, it was when my grandparents came over to our house, they would turn up around 11:00am (sherry time) and then instantly my parents stopped fighting with each other. That was Christmas, it was tranquility (watching a new film after Christmas dinner) up until they [grandparents] left around 6:30pm and then it all kicked off again. Luckily they had bought me an Atari game console which distracted me from the vitriol.
Sounds rather like the first parts of my life...Christmas between skirmishes...and vitriol all round...

I love the idea that we are all over here making our own ‘new’ traditions, and they are just as good for involving jars of pickled onions :thumb up

Christmas for us would be unthinkable without a Lindt advent calendar, a packet of bread sauce mix (I’m the only one who eats it) and eggs Benedict which my son calls French Eggs...as we always had them there on Christmas morn....and of course Brussel Sprouts!

I have have a secret grin when I imagine him in 20 years time, feeling he can’t possibly survive the holiday period without some insubstantial rubbish that we have done without trying, but has been there and has become part of ‘his’ tradition...how sweet is that!

For me...since coming to Canada, the season starts when some radio station or another plays...I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas...I’d never heard it before, but It became an instant flagpole for the period.
Old Nov 3rd 2019, 1:18 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF

Sounds rather like the first parts of my life...Christmas between skirmishes...and vitriol all round...

I love the idea that we are all over here making our own ‘new’ traditions, and they are just as good for involving jars of pickled onions :thumb up

Christmas for us would be unthinkable without a Lindt advent calendar, a packet of bread sauce mix (I’m the only one who eats it) and eggs Benedict which my son calls French Eggs...as we always had them there on Christmas morn....and of course Brussel Sprouts!

I have have a secret grin when I imagine him in 20 years time, feeling he can’t possibly survive the holiday period without some insubstantial rubbish that we have done without trying, but has been there and has become part of ‘his’ tradition...how sweet is that!

For me...since coming to Canada, the season starts when some radio station or another plays...I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas...I’d never heard it before, but It became an instant flagpole for the period.
I loved Christmas eve though. I could open one present then my parents would go out saying my grandfather would check up on me when he walked his dog. It was great, I just watched al the Christmas eve programmes and then went to bed when I heard one of parents car coming down the driveway. The highlight of Christmas was watching the deliveryman through up in the driveway as he'd been round to lots of houses to get tips and being an alcoholic he drank all the drinks people offered. Ours was the last house in his round so he rarely failed to deliver the goods.
Old Nov 3rd 2019, 4:48 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I just wanted to put it out there that it doesn't matter where you are in the world, whether you're in darkest Peru, deepest Africa, the Gobi desert, one of the plethora of Sunshine coasts around the world or the UK, everybody is welcome to share their Christmas or any other religious or secular holiday stories and traditions on this thread.

Thank you
Old Nov 3rd 2019, 5:03 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by MillieF

and eggs Benedict which my son calls French Eggs...as we always had them there on Christmas morn.

Gawd. I just so love those. Maybe with a large portobello mushroom and a little spinach. Fabulous.

But..but...but

Brussel sprouts for breakfast? Oh my. That's enthusiasm is that.
Old Nov 7th 2019, 11:32 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Old Nov 7th 2019, 11:52 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I wanted to post Cowboy Christmas by Connie Kaldor, but it isn't on youtube, so here's a lesser offering. I went to high-school with her.
Old Nov 8th 2019, 12:11 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
I wanted to post Cowboy Christmas by Connie Kaldor, but it isn't on youtube, so here's a lesser offering. I went to high-school with her.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb-uqBkRRns
Audio version
Old Nov 8th 2019, 12:16 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Thank you!
Old Nov 9th 2019, 12:02 pm
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qQAE794uvo
Old Nov 12th 2019, 12:14 am
Oscar nominated

Sainsburys xmas ad

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.