British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   next doors rubbish (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/next-doors-rubbish-527531/)

canbritdenise Apr 7th 2008 3:11 pm

next doors rubbish

Need help with a delicate matter.
We have great neighbors where we live, and we all get on really well, but, one side is in training for rubbish of the month award. His job is an oddjob man and any rubbish that anyone else gets rid of, ends up in his yard. Now, im not talking about abit of mess, but 10 old fridges 1 old car, lots of old wood, old shingles, old tyres, washing machines, and lots more, too many to mention.We have tried the route of, Well Dan what ya gona do with ya yard, but we were told that it was his pension and it will be worth alot in years to come, but I dont think I can go through another summer sat outside looking at it, not to mention danger to kids, theirs and mine.
What would you do in the circumstances? let me know

destinationnovascotia Apr 7th 2008 3:14 pm

Re: next doors rubbish

Have you checked if there are any restrictive covenants on properties in your area which detail how rubbish has to be stored?

Almost Canadian Apr 7th 2008 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by canbritdenise (Post 6173220)
We have great neighbors where we live, and we all get on really well, but, one side is in training for rubbish of the month award. His job is an oddjob man and any rubbish that anyone else gets rid of, ends up in his yard. Now, im not talking about abit of mess, but 10 old fridges 1 old car, lots of old wood, old shingles, old tyres, washing machines, and lots more, too many to mention.We have tried the route of, Well Dan what ya gona do with ya yard, but we were told that it was his pension and it will be worth alot in years to come, but I dont think I can go through another summer sat outside looking at it, not to mention danger to kids, theirs and mine.

Consult your local by-laws, many of these items may be prohibited. If they are, a quick call to the by-law officer may do the trick:o

Jay Bird Apr 7th 2008 3:15 pm

Seeing as you've tried the Friendly Neighbour approach, I would have a quiet, gentle, non-aggressive word with the people at your local town hall; they may be able to persuade him to deal with it. :)

iaink Apr 7th 2008 3:17 pm

So this isnt a thread about the USA then....:unsure::rofl:

Souvenir Apr 7th 2008 3:36 pm

Your neighbour is breaking the town's Garbage Collection By-Law. Look it up in the Municipal Info bit of the town's website.

Steve_P Apr 7th 2008 3:42 pm

Part two of the "Property Standards By-Law" for the Town of Kingsville states.

YARDS

2.02 Every yard, including vacant lots shall be kept clean and free from:

1) rubbish or debris and objects or conditions that may create a health, fire, or
accident hazard;
2) wrecked, dismantled, discarded or abandoned machinery, vehicles, trailers
or boats unless it is necessary for the operation of a business enterprise
lawfully situated on the property;
3) long grass, brush, undergrowth and noxious weeds as defined by the Weed
Control Act;
4) dilapidated, collapsed or partially constructed structures which are not
currently under construction;
5) injurious insects, termites, rodents, vermin or other pests; and
6) dead, decayed or damaged trees or other natural growth.
I suggest you contact someone at the town hall. http://www.town.kingsville.on.ca/index.php

Cheers
Steve

Edit: Also as Souvenir states he is breaking the Garbage Collection By-Law.

canbritdenise Apr 7th 2008 3:58 pm

thanks for all replys,
tried the township last month and still nothing has happened. Dont want to appear, bloody english, come over here and moan, but cant stand looking at it no more.
Is it just us though, we are out in the county abit and there does seem to be a lot of houses with rubbish in.
Husband has now said he will hold back taxes, as house is worth nothing with that next door.

Bill_S Apr 7th 2008 4:04 pm

Others have given you the proper, legal answer. I'm going to tell you something you probably don't want to hear. The neighbour sounds like a chronic hoarder. If that's so, no amount of complaints to him or city hall will help. If the city comes in and hauls away all the junk, he'll just get more junk and fill the yard back up. Sorry to say it, but to truly escape you might have to move. If he can be persuaded to clean up, you'll be extraordinarily lucky.

hot wasabi peas Apr 7th 2008 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by canbritdenise (Post 6173444)
as house is worth nothing with that next door.

I wouldn't say that. As you point out, there are a lot of houses that have 'rubbish' in their yards. This can appeal to a lot of people. There are people who prefer the freedom to have appliance cemetaries instead of flower beds... that's why some people in Canada live out in the sticks.

Coffeepot Apr 7th 2008 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas (Post 6173518)
I wouldn't say that. As you point out, there are a lot of houses that have 'rubbish' in their yards. This can appeal to a lot of people. There are people who prefer the freedom to have appliance cemetaries instead of flower beds... that's why some people in Canada live out in the sticks.

Have you seen whats at the bottom of the page :blink:

canbritdenise Apr 7th 2008 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by Coffeepot (Post 6173674)

well thats cheered me up, too scared to click on it though just incase its a really big rubbish dump with me sat on top of it, with my neighbour laughing at me.
I then woke up.
update, just had planning department on phone, they said they will come and speak with him next week. horray. will keep you informed.

G77 Apr 7th 2008 6:07 pm

Perhaps this thread should be deleted now in case he googles and finds it :sneaky:

destinationnovascotia Apr 7th 2008 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by Coffeepot (Post 6173674)

I didn't get that at first as there were ads for cruises when I looked. They have changed now and I see the point:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Coffeepot Apr 7th 2008 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia (Post 6174369)
I didn't get that at first as there were ads for cruises when I looked. They have changed now and I see the point:rofl::rofl::rofl:

i have noticed quite a few times the bottom of the page that it has add sense :ohmy: better watch what you talk about ;)

Good news on the rubbish front hope they sort it out for you :thumbsup: