Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The new winter thread - 2018-19

The new winter thread - 2018-19

Old Feb 25th 2019, 11:25 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The new winter thread - 2018-19

All the windows are covered in snow, we can't see what the weather is. The wind is audible though suggesting it's not balmy. The roads are closed and the ploughs stopped operating a day ago. Curiously there's both power and internet so we'll be glad of that while it lasts. Canada, of course, is used to snow. People on the board say everything's organized here and things just carry on. Those people are in England.

Only another 13 months of it.
Old Feb 25th 2019, 11:46 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Looking forward to Thursday!
Old Feb 25th 2019, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

This is bullshit! End of February nearly - extreme cold warning, windchill of -42 this morning
Couldn’t get out of our street yesterday due to the blowing snow creating snow drifts, that returned as fast as the plows cleared them (although kudos to them for trying on a Sunday!)
Ready for some average temps now please Manitoba.
Old Feb 25th 2019, 3:11 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

+15C today, very sunny on the South coast, not a single cloud in the sky, feels like spring though they say this is actually late May weather... I'll take it
Old Feb 25th 2019, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
All the windows are covered in snow, we can't see what the weather is. The wind is audible though suggesting it's not balmy. The roads are closed and the ploughs stopped operating a day ago. Curiously there's both power and internet so we'll be glad of that while it lasts. Canada, of course, is used to snow. People on the board say everything's organized here and things just carry on. Those people are in England.

Only another 13 months of it.
Unfortunately I did not see the road closed announcement until after I attempted to drive to a hospital appointment this morning. Driveway was ok and first 500m of road was and then I found where all the snow had gone. A 3 - 4 foot drift right across the road which I couldn't see until I hit it as everything was white. I got stuck, attempted to dig myself out (not easy while on crutches) and ended up having to call OH to rescue me. Car in driveway, I am on sofa and the appointment is cancelled. Stay safe out there.
Old Feb 25th 2019, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
+15C today, very sunny on the South coast, not a single cloud in the sky, feels like spring though they say this is actually late May weather... I'll take it
You can go right off some folk you know
On the plus side it is beautiful when the snow shines on the sparkling snow - and the south facing windows keep the heating bill down.
Old Feb 25th 2019, 3:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov

Unfortunately I did not see the road closed announcement until after I attempted to drive to a hospital appointment this morning. Driveway was ok and first 500m of road was and then I found where all the snow had gone. A 3 - 4 foot drift right across the road which I couldn't see until I hit it as everything was white. I got stuck, attempted to dig myself out (not easy while on crutches) and ended up having to call OH to rescue me. Car in driveway, I am on sofa and the appointment is cancelled. Stay safe out there.
Car stuck on the way to a hospital appointment for a broken bone. Perhaps you should have had someone drive you. Or maybe not.

Old Feb 25th 2019, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by HGerchikov

oh that’s not a fun time. Digging yourself out is hard enough with both legs functioning
Old Feb 25th 2019, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Car stuck on the way to a hospital appointment for a broken bone. Perhaps you should have had someone drive you. Or maybe not.
The bones aren't broken any more but mobility is still limited. I got clearance to drive from physio last Friday. Unfortunately the weather had other plans.
Old Feb 25th 2019, 6:17 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
https://youtu.be/7hb9lL7WDKg

Weird.. the youtube video of the ice breaking over the shoreline wouldn't autoload.. fixed it (3rd time lucky)
Woah.
That's spectacular.
Old Feb 25th 2019, 6:52 pm
Assimilated Pauper

In local news:

"Last evening several motorists were stranded on local roads due to blizzard conditions. County staff arranged for two shelters to be opened: Honeywood Fire Hall (County Road 21) and Community Living Dufferin (065371 County Road 3). No additional shelters have been opened at this time.
The County Emergency Operations Centre has been activated at the County municipal office in Orangeville.

The OPP has snowmobiles coming from the Bracebridge area to help with retrieving people from their vehicles.

Roads are deemed to be closed. Do not try to travel on any County of Dufferin Roads. Paramedics:
Paramedics are at full capacity and one ambulance has been stuck.

Waste Pick Up:
GFL (the County’s waste contractor) will not be collecting waste today"

Old Feb 26th 2019, 2:06 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

-17c, feels like -24c right now in Kamloops, BC. Hopefully this is the last cold snap of the season.
Old Feb 28th 2019, 4:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Was 25c in the desert today.

Back to the cold tomorrow.
Old Feb 28th 2019, 12:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

-33 this morning. And this is the driveway.

Old Feb 28th 2019, 12:29 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

-33 this morning. And this is the driveway.
Nice! -15 here and the high is -8. We'll take it while we can get it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.