Wikiposts

New job

Old Apr 20th 2012, 11:01 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New job

Originally Posted by victorfoxtrot
This is a quote from an article entitled 'Tips on starting a new job & fitting in at a new company' which I found in the online edition of Canadian Living:

Make a good impression.
Demonstrating polite behaviour and small courtesies in the workplace can help to put you in a positive light and set you apart. For instance, make sure you acknowledge people. Remember to say "Hello", "Good morning" and "How are you?" When leaving work, consider saying "Good night" or "See you tomorrow." You will also want to recognize anyone who has helped you. Sending a thank-you note to colleagues, staff or mentors is a thoughtful way to identify the contributions of others.

I especially like the tip to 'consider' saying good night or see you tomorrow. Should I simply gather my things and flounce out then without so much as a good-bye?
really - does anyone do that I'd have a thought a simple "hey cheers for XXXXXXX, i'll shout you a Timmies next time i'm going there" would suffice.

If someone sent me a note I'd think they were a little weird
Old Apr 20th 2012, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by victorfoxtrot
This is a quote from an article entitled 'Tips on starting a new job & fitting in at a new company' which I found in the online edition of Canadian Living:

Make a good impression.
Demonstrating polite behaviour and small courtesies in the workplace can help to put you in a positive light and set you apart. For instance, make sure you acknowledge people. Remember to say "Hello", "Good morning" and "How are you?" When leaving work, consider saying "Good night" or "See you tomorrow." You will also want to recognize anyone who has helped you. Sending a thank-you note to colleagues, staff or mentors is a thoughtful way to identify the contributions of others.

I especially like the tip to 'consider' saying good night or see you tomorrow. Should I simply gather my things and flounce out then without so much as a good-bye?
Too funny!!! I only have one colleague so would be very awkward not to say good bye to her, she might take it personally!!!!
How can that be etiquette, that's just basic manners!!!
Old Apr 20th 2012, 11:48 am
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

Put the key of despair into the lock of apathy. Turn the knob of mediocrity slowly and open the gates of despondency.....

Welcome to a day in the average office
Old Apr 20th 2012, 11:54 pm
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
People where I work do "Timmies Runs" and pick up whatever others want. There are also a couple of coffee makers, people make a pot to share.

I just bring a flask... too cheap to pay for timmies and too lazy to go upstairs for a hit.
Every office has a Keurig machine now. I haven't seen an old-fashioned drip maker for yonks. We're not in the 70's any more, you know.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 1:20 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pdarwin
Every office has a Keurig machine now. I haven't seen an old-fashioned drip maker for yonks. We're not in the 70's any more, you know.
And there's another thing to add to the "is Canada eco-friendly" debate.

Coffee machines out of Star Trek that generate so much needless packing and plastic waste...
Old Apr 21st 2012, 1:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty

Coffee machines out of Star Trek that generate so much needless packing and plastic waste...
Arent the Keurig type recyclable and employing people in that industry
Old Apr 21st 2012, 2:06 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Arent the Keurig type recyclable and employing people in that industry
Some things are worth recycling.

Some things shouldn't ever be produced in the first place.

Polishing a turd...
Old Apr 21st 2012, 2:38 am
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty

Bah. . .let the next generation worry about that eco stuff. I need my morning coffee and I need it fast !!