New industry

Old May 1st 2015, 12:01 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New industry

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I ordered this book on Amazon to give it a read.

I also ordered a Kumon workbook for 6-8 grade pre-algebra to give it a go.

I am going to try and take some Adult Basic Ed at Capilano University next semester (either summer or fall) or the next depending on when the most appropriate classes are available.

Sounds like the ABE math is in class work at your own pace, if you don't finish in the 3 months, you can re-enrol and continue as needed.

No idea what level of math they would start me at, have to take a math assessment first.

Capilano is dependent on receiving student aid, not sure if loans will cover basic education, so will have to try and see what is available when the time comes.

Excellent. I wish you the very best of luck!

In terms of the Math assessment , don't be discouraged if it seems ridiculously hard. they need to push to figure out exactly what level you are at.

Personally I agree with some of the others on this thread , I suspect you know how to do far more than you realise, especially in a real life setting.

I wish you were closer in that I know some amazing math teachers at my work
Old May 3rd 2015, 4:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Back to square one. I am to the point where I am just going to give up.

Psychiatric nursing isn't a viable option, its now a very competitive points based entry, and I can't afford nor have the time to get a bachelors degree first to get enough points.

They apparently get several hundred applications per year for a total of 60 seats per year.

The maximum points possible is 20, and I can only score 9 at most.

The bulk of the points is for education, I would need an associates or bachelors to get enough points.

My friend who is already a nurse said her brother (has a bachelors degree) had 14 points out of 20, and didn't get in, so he is going to take a few classes to get to the 20, but he gets 1/2 of the 20 just from having a bachelors already.

It's so frustrating and impossible to get anywhere.

None of the business programs interest me, I don't have the personality to try and climb the corporate ladder and to be honest trying to start from the bottom at past 40 (when I'd have a degree) and get into a decent paying job probably isn't possible.

I just don't know what you do job wise with the admin and business degrees that would pay 25-30 per hour.

I'd try another school but the other one is a poly tech school and even harder to get into.

If I had the personality to be a manager, I would try for a hospitality degree but I don't want to be in management and it would be a long shot ever getting into a management position anyhow.

I guess I waited too long for everything and now there are just too many people to compete against for everything.
Old May 6th 2015, 9:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Has a 2 year wait list but is less competitive to get into, Medical Lab assistant, not much of a pay increase, but better then hotels potentially.

I am not strong enough academically so I am going to scratch off nursing, if people with more academic abilities can't get in, I have little chance.

I am trying to find the best return on the debt I have to incur without having to work up a corporate ladder for years, and healthcare seems to be one of the few professions where the starting pay is higher then norm.