British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   New industry (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/new-industry-857317/)

scrubbedexpat091 Apr 29th 2015 7:35 am

New industry

I am trying to get out of the hotel world. I am completely burned out, and it's becoming more and a not pleasant industry to work in, and I am topped out as far as positions go since I am not interested in management.

I am if all goes well going to go to BCIT and do a short term course that Exkiwi suggested and hoping they can maybe give some insight into the type of jobs that I'd be looking at as I am not sure..lol

It's hard switching industries and I have a couple times, but hotels are the only places they really respond to my resume, so the trick is getting out of that circle.

Almost Canadian Apr 29th 2015 1:57 pm

Re: New industry

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 11632038)
I am trying to get out of the hotel world. I am completely burned out, and it's becoming more and a not pleasant industry to work in, and I am topped out as far as positions go since I am not interested in management.

I am if all goes well going to go to BCIT and do a short term course that Exkiwi suggested and hoping they can maybe give some insight into the type of jobs that I'd be looking at as I am not sure..lol

It's hard switching industries and I have a couple times, but hotels are the only places they really respond to my resume, so the trick is getting out of that circle.

What would you like to get paid to do?

I would start there. As you are a minimum wage worker, it's not like any occupation you choose is going to result in a wage decrease and, on that point alone, you are in a very good position.

plasticcanuck Apr 29th 2015 2:14 pm

And what are you burned out doing?

Your quote from other thread:-
I've just a lot of time on my hands.... Probably more then I need really.

scrubbedexpat091 Apr 29th 2015 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck (Post 11632362)
And what are you burned out doing?

Your quote from other thread:-
I've just a lot of time on my hands.... Probably more then I need really.

Working in hotels. I don't mind the actual work, filling in spread sheets, printing reports, emailing reports, putting together the paperwork.

I just don't like the hours which has to be overnight, no question there as its the only time of day a hotel can do their audit.

I'd prefer a job with more traditional hours.

My job gives me a lot of time as its overnight and only 3 days per week, well 2 overnight, 1 day shift covering front desk. Its a work at my own pace job, as long as the paperwork is done by the end of the night, everything is good.

Because its only 3 days a week, I have 4 days off in a week with virtually nothing to do which is where having too much time comes into play.

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 11632346)
What would you like to get paid to do

That is where I get stuck as what I would like to do, all requires more education then is attainable which is where I am stuck since I haven't a clue what else I would like to do.

Almost Canadian Apr 29th 2015 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 11632384)
That is where I get stuck as what I would like to do, all requires more education then is attainable which is where I am stuck since I haven't a clue what else I would like to do.

Stop putting limits upon yourself. :banghead:

What is it you would like to do? Once people on here know this, there is. likely an option that doesn't require you to go to school full time, or have to go to school at all, and you can then take it from there.

For example, I couldn't afford to attend law school full time, but I discovered that there were at least 2 other ways that I could use to become a lawyer. I chose one of them. I discovered this by speaking to people in the profession as every university that I contacted told me that full time attendance at law school was the only option

scrubbedexpat091 Apr 29th 2015 3:35 pm

Ideally psychiatric nursing. There are a couple hurdles the biggest being Math, I have severe trouble learning math, and I just finished a math course and didn't horribly, so now I am gonna try again. I have never been good at math, its the road block to a lot of further education.

I can do basics, but it's the algebra, fractions and so on I have trouble with.

I am so far behind math wise, its an uphill battle, I need to be able to pass at a grade 12 level, I am nowhere near that at the moment.

ExKiwilass Apr 29th 2015 3:41 pm

my advice is to just start. start taking math courses. thats the only way.

you could do LPN or HCA training first - that would get you into the medical field.

Oakvillian Apr 29th 2015 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 11632486)
Ideally psychiatric nursing. There are a couple hurdles the biggest being Math, I have severe trouble learning math, and I just finished a math course and didn't horribly, so now I am gonna try again. I have never been good at math, its the road block to a lot of further education.

I can do basics, but it's the algebra, fractions and so on I have trouble with.

I am so far behind math wise, its an uphill battle, I need to be able to pass at a grade 12 level, I am nowhere near that at the moment.

I had a part time gig many years ago (while I was an undergrad) helping a couple of school kids with their mathematics. It wasn't a formal tutoring role, but amounted to much the same thing. What I learned very quickly doing that, is that people who don't "get" maths likely have not had it explained in a way that makes sense to them, rather than because of any innate failure to grasp the concepts. As soon as you try to take the "real-world" stuff out, and abstract it a bit (which is pretty much exactly what algebra is all about, where you stop talking about actual numbers and start on about x and y and z) then being able to visualise what you are doing is often much harder, but simultaneously much more helpful. Therein lies the dilemma...

There are a number of really excellent books (not textbooks, but readable prose) that are designed to help adult learners get their heads around high school math concepts. Look up Ian Stewart in your local library - amongst his other accomplishments, he collaborated with Terry Pratchett in describing some of the math and science of the Discworld, but has written a couple of very accessible books on mathematics for non-mathematicians. I've also heard good things about (but not read myself) Barbara Oakley's "A Mind for Numbers" - this is subtitled "How to excel at math and science (even if you flunked algebra)" which sounds like it might be a good place for you to start! :)

Good luck.

Edited to add: I just saw this piece of advice on a forum while googling around the subject. Might be especially applicable if you want to work out how to move into psychiatric nursing...

The best way to teach yourself basic math through pre-algebra is to get a nursing student work book for calculating dosages. The workbooks are designed to start you at the beginning and give you examples, problems and answers that you can check yourself eventually leading to conversions and some basic algebra. I used one when I returned to college prior to entering elementary algebra, and it served me well, then and now

scrubbedexpat091 Apr 29th 2015 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass (Post 11632489)
my advice is to just start. start taking math courses. thats the only way.

you could do LPN or HCA training first - that would get you into the medical field.

I thought of other healthcare jobs, but the only one I actually have any interest in is working in mental health so I am aiming for that.

I did apply for this program last year Community Mental Health Worker - Programs - Douglas College as did my wife, but I wasn't accepted, she was however but she didn't want to drive to Coquitlam alone so she turned down the spot.

I don't see a whole lot of jobs posted for Mental Health community workers, but I hear there are jobs, so I will likely apply again and give it another go. The lack of job postings on the health authority website is a little concerning though.

I did find a few postings on the Island, looks like the pay is 19-20 per hour, so not bad.

Math, I need to find a way to get a tutor....lol. Its probably my best bet.

MillieF Apr 29th 2015 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 11632527)

Math, I need to find a way to get a tutor....lol. Its probably my best bet.

Well Oakvillian has just given you some good advice, so you could start there.

Do you know anyone who is good at Math and actually enjoys it, and who might be willing to help you?

A few years back I had the pleasure of knowing a Math teacher, who LOVED her subject, and the difference that she made to her students and all those around her was phenomenal.

What's the quote? If you think you can do something or you can't - you're probably right...

scrubbedexpat091 Apr 29th 2015 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by MillieF (Post 11632550)
Well Oakvillian has just given you some good advice, so you could start there.

Do you know anyone who is good at Math and actually enjoys it, and who might be willing to help you?

A few years back I had the pleasure of knowing a Math teacher, who LOVED her subject, and the difference that she made to her students and all those around her was phenomenal.

What's the quote? If you think you can do something or you can't - you're probably right...

Yes indeed, I agree its good advice. I didn't see that post before I posted, he posted it as I was writing/editing mine.

Everyone I know is just as bad at math. I'll admit, I've never had math properly explained or taught, my high school education was not what I would consider good.

I had a math teacher in 10th grade who didn't know algebra, he just told us to get the answers from the back of the book, but it showed no work on how to get said answer.

Oink Apr 29th 2015 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Oakvillian (Post 11632524)
I had a part time gig many years ago (while I was an undergrad) helping a couple of school kids with their mathematics. It wasn't a formal tutoring role, but amounted to much the same thing. What I learned very quickly doing that, is that people who don't "get" maths likely have not had it explained in a way that makes sense to them, rather than because of any innate failure to grasp the concepts . . .

Very good comment. Many teachers of maths, use the "hide-the-ball" method that I feel only rewards those learners who grasp concepts early and penalizes those who find the abstractness and the high pressure teaching methods frustrating. Many students, with the help of arrogant/insecure teachers, will internalize the difficulty of understanding the abstract concepts as personal failure, it then tends becomes a self-fullfilling prophecy of "maths-phobia" or the time honoured "bad-at-maths" bollocks. :(

paw339 Apr 29th 2015 5:42 pm

If maths is a major problem have you ever thought of Kumon maths? Whilst its usually done by children I have heard of adults doing it with good results especially when confidence is a major problem.

sharkus Apr 29th 2015 6:00 pm

Do you think the aforementioned dosage math book would be good in general usage to those who are mathematically challenged. ie; me :D (freely admit my math skills are poor, plus I failed English Language twice :D 'splains a lot I guess :D)

Oakvillian Apr 29th 2015 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by sharkus (Post 11632623)
Do you think the aforementioned dosage math book would be good in general usage to those who are mathematically challenged. ie; me :D (freely admit my math skills are poor, plus I failed English Language twice :D 'splains a lot I guess :D)

No idea - I don't know the book at all, just saw it referenced when searching for the name of the Barbara Oakley book that I'd heard good recommendations for. Struck me as an interesting idea, particularly if JS is looking for ways into mental health professions. In general, though, books like Oakley's or some of Stewart's - because they're structured as narrative prose rather than textbook-style worked examples - might be a more accessible first step back into the world of maths.