Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

New home owners grant in BC

New home owners grant in BC

Old Jan 9th 2017, 10:09 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default New home owners grant in BC

Does anyone know much about this grant?

I understand it is only for property until $500k and in BC.

Also what's the deal if I'm eligible for it but my boyfriend has already had his new owners grant for his current apartment? Do both parties have to not have owned property before or is it ok for one person to get it?
Old Jan 9th 2017, 10:15 pm
Chips & Gravy

jennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: New home owners grant in BC

I think you have to have been a PR for 5 years and lived in BC for a minimum of 1 year.

I haven't looked in to it properly, that's just from memory. I remember reading it and thinking my fiance is eligible (He's Canadian) and I'm not because although I've been here 5 years I've only been PR for 2.5 years.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Do you mean this?
First Time Home Buyers' Program - Province of British Columbia
Old Jan 9th 2017, 10:24 pm
Chips & Gravy

jennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Shirtback
No that one's just property transfer tax. Not sure if the government have a page for this new one yet.

B.C. offers interest-free loans up to $37,500 to 1st-time homebuyers - British Columbia - CBC News

It's an "interest free" loan, a second mortgage.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 10:26 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Yeah this was it. Maybe the boyfriend got it mixed up then
Old Jan 9th 2017, 10:26 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by jennellapea
I think you have to have been a PR for 5 years and lived in BC for a minimum of 1 year.

I haven't looked in to it properly, that's just from memory. I remember reading it and thinking my fiance is eligible (He's Canadian) and I'm not because although I've been here 5 years I've only been PR for 2.5 years.
Yeah 5 years is a long time to wait to be eligible. I would hopefully have something by then
Old Jan 9th 2017, 11:22 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

The home owner's grant is to do with property taxes. Owner/occupiers get a discount of $570 from their property taxes. Seniors and the disables get a larger grant. There is one grant per household.

The grant is for properties with an assessed value of up to c. $1.2m. My guess is this will be raised in the provincial budget as the 2017 assessments have pushed many property prices over this. I don't think the government want to go into an election with their core supporters facing a property tax hike.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 11:34 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

There is relief from property transfer tax in BC for first-time buyers. To qualify you must:

* be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
* have lived in B.C. for 12 consecutive months immediately before the date you register the property or filed at least 2 income tax returns as a B.C. resident in the last 6 years
* have never owned an interest in a principal residence anywhere in the world at any time
* have never received a first time home buyers' exemption or refund

If you buy with someone who does not qualify but you do then you will get relief from 50 of the PTT.

There is also a federal program that gives a credit up to $750 for people who have not owned their own home for at least five years.

I don't think there is a first-time buyers tax credit in BC any more.

Last edited by JonboyE; Jan 9th 2017 at 11:37 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 11:42 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by JonboyE
There is relief from property transfer tax in BC for first-time buyers. To qualify you must:

* be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
* have lived in B.C. for 12 consecutive months immediately before the date you register the property or filed at least 2 income tax returns as a B.C. resident in the last 6 years
* have never owned an interest in a principal residence anywhere in the world at any time
* have never received a first time home buyers' exemption or refund

If you buy with someone who does not qualify but you do then you will get relief from 50 of the PTT.

There is also a federal program that gives a credit up to $750 for people who have not owned their own home for at least five years.

I don't think there is a first-time buyers tax credit in BC any more.
Great! Thanks for that. I'll look into it in more detail