Wikiposts

New duty-free limits

Old Jun 5th 2012, 2:18 am
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New duty-free limits

Originally Posted by Cdnshaz
Yes actually I am a runner, hence I need proper running shoes. I get mizuno's and they are not cheap any where, but more expensive in Canada. I went to 3 stores in Canada to buy them and they wanted waaaaay to much..so if I can save 50+ dollars then I will. I get all my running gear stateside.
I luv runners :-) The clinic I help run, 7 folks qualified for Boston next year, ages range from mid 40s to mid 50s. Mizunos Ronins are my choice for 5 and 10k, ASICs for the half, full and my ultras

Another smoking time at around the bay in Hamilton back in March
Old Jun 5th 2012, 2:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

I am near 50 so a marathon isn't happening for me lol

I have just done my first 10k last weekend, and doing another this weekend (against my better judgement, am doing it with a friend) I love my mizuno's I have asics as well and find they are heavy and not as good for my feet as the mizuno's. So I am a Mizuno girl, have had numerous pairs of both, and have my preference.

I run for enjoyment, but if I can save money on shoes, then it is stateside for me. Even sports bras, shirts, shorts, all cheaper south of border.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 2:39 am
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

I am near 50 so a marathon isn't happening for me lol

I have just done my first 10k last weekend, and doing another this weekend (against my better judgement, am doing it with a friend) I love my mizuno's I have asics as well and find they are heavy and not as good for my feet as the mizuno's. So I am a Mizuno girl, have had numerous pairs of both, and have my preference.

I run for enjoyment, but if I can save money on shoes, then it is stateside for me. Even sports bras, shirts, shorts, all cheaper south of border.
Good for you...I run for fun as well, no point if you are not enjoying it. I have done everything there is from 100m sprint to beyong 50k runs. I am hoping to complete my 100th marathon this year. I have nothing to prove anymore with my races, and just help others just getting into it, or people looking for strategies. I ahve a few lined up and then then the US Marine Corps in Oct

Keep at it girl, perhaps we will bump into each other in a race soon
Old Jun 5th 2012, 2:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

WOW 100? well done, you have more stamina then I do

Friends of mine have a son in military and they have a run in Ottawa (which I am sure you prob do) they want me to go this year. I am a very nervous type of person and last weekend almost stressed me to max lol just the thought of competition....I am not very competative....just didn't want to finish last. I didn't, so some stress lifted lol

I have to admit my eating habits are not so good some days, so I run a bit farther to ummmm well.....burn off extra chocolate intake lol

any tips? I am all ears..
Old Jun 5th 2012, 2:53 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

You can't really know the lines then unless you have tried, we rarely wait longer then 5 or 10 mins on either side of the border. We crossed Friday AM, we had 5 min wait then he had to go get his visa....this took another 5 mins. Coming home maybe 10 mins and that inc going into customs to pay the tax. We took our SUV, a bit of gas sucker agreed...but the running shoes I bought for 92 bucks that cost 154 here, plus the other items we purchased saved us alot more then what the gas cost. Others have mentioned the different selections of foods you can get there as well. Many things I cannot get here, I have certain medical conditions and there is a particular herbal med I cannot get in Canada but can get in US and makes my life alot easier to say the least.
So for us it is worth the border crossing,
Exactly. It's a crapshoot and we live too far away from the border to make it worth it. Anyway, you're in Ontario which is different.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 3:02 am
BE Enthusiast

we use this website to tell us how long the lines are:

http://apps.cbp.gov/bwt/index.asp

it is quite helpful, and we do not go on long weekends or major holidays

it still takes us 4 hrs for a round trip, so we are not just across the road by any means, but for us we find it more feasible to go south as we do save money.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 3:41 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

well, each to their own. I'd rather spend 4 hours doing something else.

edited to add: I really don't care what other people do re: cross border shopping. I just can't be bothered doing it myself.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Jun 5th 2012 at 3:46 am.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 4:39 am
Banned

WOW 100? well done, you have more stamina then I do

Friends of mine have a son in military and they have a run in Ottawa (which I am sure you prob do) they want me to go this year. I am a very nervous type of person and last weekend almost stressed me to max lol just the thought of competition....I am not very competative....just didn't want to finish last. I didn't, so some stress lifted lol

I have to admit my eating habits are not so good some days, so I run a bit farther to ummmm well.....burn off extra chocolate intake lol

any tips? I am all ears..
Well...the military run here in Ottawa ( Sept ) is called the army run. There is a 5k as well as a half mary. It's not a competition....you have to clear that off your mind and just see it as a fun activity with like-minded people.

I have told many people not to try and follow people during a race, do your own race, pace yourself accordingly, breathe in through the nose and out thru the mouth, grab a cup at every station and do a quick sip, while still moving. The key is not to become stationary, body will shutdown and that is when the mind kicks in, you are still in control. When you are tired, shuffle and keep moving.

You will be surprised how us the slightly older folks, leave the young ones behind I have two 1st finishes in my age group so far this year, as well as 2 top 10 finishes so far.

There is a thread on here with my Disney Goofy challenge 2011 with pics of medals. I recommend that to anyone that runs and plans to go to Disney
Old Jun 5th 2012, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

I had some friends that did the Disney run this year and had a wonderful time.

I follow lol because they are alot faster then I am and I will not kill myself or get my self so winded to catch them. I am to old to compete with 20 or 30 something runners, so I just keep my pace and breath as you say, in nose out mouth.

Do you run by yourself or try to keep pace with someone when you compete?
Old Jun 5th 2012, 9:48 am
Banned

I had some friends that did the Disney run this year and had a wonderful time.

I follow lol because they are alot faster then I am and I will not kill myself or get my self so winded to catch them. I am to old to compete with 20 or 30 something runners, so I just keep my pace and breath as you say, in nose out mouth.

Do you run by yourself or try to keep pace with someone when you compete?
Listen dear....you are close to 50, not 80 so stop saying you are old People normally try to keep up with me, and I sometimes pace for people trying to do a personal best. I run 2 or 3 times a week by myself, it's never been a problem for me

It's not a competition, it's a running group that goes out 3-4 times a week rain, snow or shine
Old Jun 5th 2012, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

LOL Bless you...you sweet talking man you lol

some days I feel closer to 80! I like to run with others as it does keep me motivated but there are times I like to be alone....I also go rain, snow or heat.

Wish I had someone this area who I could run with like you!
Old Jun 6th 2012, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

beautiful050278 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am just jealous of all of you folks who live close enough to the US border. I am a Shopoholic who has nowhere to shop (in Calgary anyway)
Old Jun 6th 2012, 9:43 am
Banned

Originally Posted by beautiful050278
I am just jealous of all of you folks who live close enough to the US border. I am a Shopoholic who has nowhere to shop (in Calgary anyway)

I guess Alberta can't have it all eh? There is however the mall in Edmonton if that is any compensation and with no provincial tax

Oh...and here is some crazy talk, move to Ontario .LOL