A new Coffee thread

Old Jan 2nd 2018, 5:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A new Coffee thread

Coffee machine ? You do not even need that. A pot to boil the coffee, water and some ground coffee. A source of heat - and you are in business.
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 6:24 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Coffee machine ? You do not even need that. A pot to boil the coffee, water and some ground coffee. A source of heat - and you are in business.
I'd agree. We went through two Keurigs. Not very good machines (water not hot enough) and the pods were hideously expensive. It is possible to get reusable pods and fill them with whatever you want. I once did a comparison shop on pods with Van Houtte coffee and tins of Van Houtte coffee. The difference in unit cost was enormous.

I'm quite happy with our Black & Decker drip thingy. The press is better but it's a bit of a faff and it doesn't keep the coffee hot.
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 8:00 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
I'd agree. We went through two Keurigs. Not very good machines (water not hot enough) and the pods were hideously expensive. It is possible to get reusable pods and fill them with whatever you want. I once did a comparison shop on pods with Van Houtte coffee and tins of Van Houtte coffee. The difference in unit cost was enormous.

I'm quite happy with our Black & Decker drip thingy. The press is better but it's a bit of a faff and it doesn't keep the coffee hot.
I had a little tea-cosy-like thing for my press that my mum gave me years ago as a joke, but worked remarkably well to keep the coffee warm enough to refill a cup. I use the past tense because, a week or so ago, I managed to switch on the wrong element on the stove when trying to boil the kettle: the one the cosy was resting on, rather than the one under the kettle. The insulating batting inside the cosy made a very nasty smell when it caught fire. Out the back door into a snowbank it went, thence to the garbage.

I have a Breville countertop espresso machine, which brews a perfectly decent espresso (though the steam wand annoys me as its range of movement isn't enough to get the jug of hot milk out without spilling some). A cheapo drip machine (mine may also be a Black & Decker, it's made of white plastic and cost less than $20, I think) does larger quantities of breakfast coffee when required. And the aforementioned cafetiere is good for a quick cup and takes barely more time than boiling the kettle for tea.
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 8:10 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
I had a little tea-cosy-like thing for my press that my mum gave me years ago as a joke, but worked remarkably well to keep the coffee warm enough to refill a cup. I use the past tense because, a week or so ago, I managed to switch on the wrong element on the stove when trying to boil the kettle: the one the cosy was resting on, rather than the one under the kettle. The insulating batting inside the cosy made a very nasty smell when it caught fire. Out the back door into a snowbank it went, thence to the garbage.

I have a Breville countertop espresso machine, which brews a perfectly decent espresso (though the steam wand annoys me as its range of movement isn't enough to get the jug of hot milk out without spilling some). A cheapo drip machine (mine may also be a Black & Decker, it's made of white plastic and cost less than $20, I think) does larger quantities of breakfast coffee when required. And the aforementioned cafetiere is good for a quick cup and takes barely more time than boiling the kettle for tea.
They are available online

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...rds=press+cozy
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

A bit like number one records.

Don't get me started there. That could be a good thread...Favourite and least favourite #1's of 'our era'. My era would be about 1971-1985. So many awful ones from that era but 'Start' and 'Town called Malice' by the Jam, the New Order England World Cup Squad song and the Roxy Music cover of Jealous Guy would be amongst the favourites
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 9:46 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Not sure if the Barista champions of Canada and the hipster 3rd wave of coffee shops would agree with you.

Granted, Tim Horton's is not going to win any awards other than volume sold but then again Carling is the most popular beer in the UK and that is basically just bland lager.

Quality coffee is easy to get in most urban centres in Canada...its when you get on the road and end up in a small town diner where the coffee isn't too flavourful.
Barista Champions of Canada? What a ridiculous concept. Quality coffee is the stuff I make at home, BTW.

I think you are a bit confused on the Carling thing, I've been back here for over two years and have never encountered it.

Nor would I want to.
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 10:17 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
I'd agree. We went through two Keurigs. Not very good machines (water not hot enough) and the pods were hideously expensive. ...
You might want to try that comparison again.

We're still on the same machine from what must be about 5 years ago.

Back then I didn't want anything to do with it as the pods worked out to about 85c. If you shopped around.

At least two of the branded 12-packs are on offer every week at Superstore for $6.99 with a near permanent bonus $1 per box off the next shop from using a PC/points card. That's 50c a pod. A lot more acceptable than 85c 5 years ago. I buy a few packs when they're $6 for the 12 cups and use them when my drip machine is empty and I don't want to make a new pot yet. It's vastly preferable to a stop gap cup of instant.

Until now my favourites have only come in that size, but a few weeks ago Giant Tiger had a dark roast (brand unknown) that was very good, 42 pods $14.99. That's 36c a pod.

I used to use the small measure on the Keurig but all the dark roasts make a strong middle measure.
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 10:20 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I gave up on Keurigs too. Then I dabbled with a drip coffee thing but after a while it starts to taste odd. Must be the water. Anyway now I have a Bodum insulated cafetière which looks pretty swanky and I use van Houtte coffee. Sometimes I make instant but don't tell.
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 10:31 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
...Sometimes I make instant but don't tell.
Do you do the noises?

Old Jan 2nd 2018, 10:33 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

My bodums aren't insulated but it doesn't matter. When the coffee's done I just pour it into an insulated carafe. The electric drip machine hasn't been used in over a year, maybe closer to 2 years.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 6:04 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I really don't understand the point of threads about coffee in the Canadian forum.

It's almost impossible to find acceptable coffee there.
Because Costa does such a great job of it in the UK lol

That aside. I have mixed views on Tim Hortons, it’s cheap and if I’m desperate I’ll go but it’s not the best.

Their apple fritters though...that’s a whole different story

Last edited by beckiwoo; Jan 3rd 2018 at 6:09 am. Reason: Added more
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 4:00 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Their apple fritters though...that’s a whole different story
Fruit explosion muffins.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Barista Champions of Canada? What a ridiculous concept. Quality coffee is the stuff I make at home, BTW.

I think you are a bit confused on the Carling thing, I've been back here for over two years and have never encountered it.

Nor would I want to.
Baristas and latte art is a thing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latte_art

but I think you need a man bun and a lumberjack shirt to cut it in that genre. Not my thing.

Hey the internet doesn't lie about Carling.

Just like studies show Coors Light and Blue and Bud Light are in the top 5 or so in Canada but I never drink them but it doesn't mean the vast majority of people drink them.

I imagine that Carling sells well in bulk at supermarkets for home consumption.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 4:19 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

The first whole bottle of beer I ever drank (at age 6) was a Carling Black Label. I can remember trying to act sober when I got home.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
I gave up on Keurigs too. Then I dabbled with a drip coffee thing but after a while it starts to taste odd. Must be the water. Anyway now I have a Bodum insulated cafetière which looks pretty swanky and I use van Houtte coffee. Sometimes I make instant but don't tell.
Our short-lived (well it's still under the stairs, but who can be bothered) drip machine needed such frequent vinegar rinses to taste normal, despite the water softener, that I quickly gave up on it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.