New car suggestions

Old Mar 11th 2016, 9:47 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New car suggestions

Wow- from the ridiculous to the sublime!

Originally Posted by jamesb377
MINI reliability is one of the best in the market, the 'new stock' will be due to the ever increasing push on New Car Targets.
Unless they've really upped their QA Minis have been rooted to the bottom of the north american reliability charts like forever.

if your having a midlife crisis, why not get some cheap washing machine grey box like someone said and then get a motorbike to have some fun on
Why has nobody (I'm looking an me, PW) raised this yet???
Old Mar 11th 2016, 10:19 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
Why has nobody (I'm looking an me, PW) raised this yet???
Because, if you're going to spend a couple of hours a day in the car, you want it to be as much fun as possible. I don't see the merit in having a really fun car (or bike) in the garage while driving an appliance. I hope, of course, to move back to having a mildly fun car to commute and a really fun one in the garage. That depends on the mildly fun car still running whenever the tractor's paid for.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 10:40 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

You should know - minis are made in the old austin morris plant in oxford, whilst bmw own them now, the workers were notoriously bad. Bmw and mini themselves arent regarded as a reliable option by jd power and i personally wouldnt trust them toscrew a car together, ive seen maxi's and marinas made there, proper abortions.
Old Mar 12th 2016, 1:11 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
You should know - minis are made in the old austin morris plant in oxford, whilst bmw own them now, the workers were notoriously bad. Bmw and mini themselves arent regarded as a reliable option by jd power and i personally wouldnt trust them toscrew a car together, ive seen maxi's and marinas made there, proper abortions.
It's 36 years since Marinas were produced. The workers may have been 'notoriously bad' almost 2 generations ago, but how does that have relevance to modern production processes that minimise workers physically screwing anything together?

Mini's may not be the last word in reliability, but that's a result of poor engineering decisions/tolerances/materials, not necessarily production line workers being at fault. BMW have committed £1bn in the UK since 2000, and an additional £250m since 2012. You'd hope that was enough to produce a decent product.
Old Mar 12th 2016, 4:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Tootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
It's 36 years since Marinas were produced. The workers may have been 'notoriously bad' almost 2 generations ago, but how does that have relevance to modern production processes that minimise workers physically screwing anything together?

Mini's may not be the last word in reliability, but that's a result of poor engineering decisions/tolerances/materials, not necessarily production line workers being at fault. BMW have committed £1bn in the UK since 2000, and an additional £250m since 2012. You'd hope that was enough to produce a decent product.
I have a Mini Cooper at the moment as fellas the compulsory Toyota Sienna. WE had a few issues with oil consumption with the Mini but it seems to have settled down. I like the Mini, but need a little more oomph, perhaps the S would be enough. I love being able to park easily downtown, so that is a plus. I will take a few out for a drive after Easter/rain season!!
Old Mar 12th 2016, 9:38 am

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Thats a nope on the factory front, i have relatives in oxford who tell me they still sleep on the job, the staff turnover is very high, anyone can get a job, that parts quality is highly suspect as they regularly make hundreds of cars missing some part that failed, and have to leave them in a field for a few weeks then screw on a replacement fixed part, and more importantly they regularly see lines of dead minis on the oxford bypass. They take 1 in x for a roadtest and they die at the roadside... Given the reproducability of part failure usually at the same place :-]. Jd power dont lie, statistically bmw and mini are not a reliable bet. Compare it with nissan in sunderland where nissan say their quality record is the best in their entire company.
Old Mar 13th 2016, 8:58 am
Just Joined

jamesb377 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
Because, if you're going to spend a couple of hours a day in the car, you want it to be as much fun as possible. I don't see the merit in having a really fun car (or bike) in the garage while driving an appliance. I hope, of course, to move back to having a mildly fun car to commute and a really fun one in the garage. That depends on the mildly fun car still running whenever the tractor's paid for.
In my experience you don't have fun on the commute to work, although I have to travel on the M3 every day.

Also you could use the bike to commute weather permitting ! :-)

Hey Pootle, have you decided what the third mystery car will be yet?
Old Mar 13th 2016, 11:02 am

The m3 used to be very civilised, years ago, i used to drive london to bristol for work 3 times a week, at 6-7am very civilised out in the countryside, everyone giving way, doing a steady 80 in the slow lane and 90 in the fast. The fuzz kept themselves invisible, they knew not to slow it down, as there were never accidents. If the weather got bad or it was dark, sure, they became visible, but there really did seem to be an attitude of keep it moving.

There was the wiltshire stretch where they had static cameras for a while till the dot told them to remove them, the head of police there was apparently always keen to collect cash and punish wrongdoers [thats anyone with a car.]

Now they are introducing distance travelled speed cameras its probably all broken i suspect.

Here, drink driving isnt illegal, and the police have no speed measuring equipment, except possibly a tape measure, but then people who speed excessively die on these roads.

In my experience you don't have fun on the commute to work, although I have to travel on the M3 every day.

Hey Pootle, have you decided what the third mystery car will be yet?
Old Mar 13th 2016, 1:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

It's 30 miles and takes 30 minutes on country roads (except for the last two miles, they're urban and slow) and, yes, I do see bikes, they've suddenly reappeared this week. I'm pretty sure that one biker uses an early eighties Dodge Rampage in the winter. An admirably eccentric choice.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 10:21 am
Just Joined

jamesb377 is an unknown quantity at this point

The m3 used to be very civilised, years ago, i used to drive london to bristol for work 3 times a week, at 6-7am very civilised out in the countryside, everyone giving way, doing a steady 80 in the slow lane and 90 in the fast. The fuzz kept themselves invisible, they knew not to slow it down, as there were never accidents. If the weather got bad or it was dark, sure, they became visible, but there really did seem to be an attitude of keep it moving.

There was the wiltshire stretch where they had static cameras for a while till the dot told them to remove them, the head of police there was apparently always keen to collect cash and punish wrongdoers [thats anyone with a car.]

Now they are introducing distance travelled speed cameras its probably all broken i suspect.

Here, drink driving isnt illegal, and the police have no speed measuring equipment, except possibly a tape measure, but then people who speed excessively die on these roads.
I think you mean the M4...
Old Mar 14th 2016, 10:25 am

Quite right, see, just dont have to do motorways any more... ;-] i used the m3 more recently to portsmouth a lot, but it was the m4 that was civilised...
Old May 10th 2016, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

Wolseley is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
In VAG terms, skoda or seat every time. And VW last.
I would suggest that Audi would be last. Not that they aren't good cars but they are overpriced. VW is better value for money, and Skoda even better still. I'm not sure where SEAT sits in all this, as we don't get them here in Australia.
Old May 10th 2016, 3:00 pm

All VAG cars are made from the same pile of parts, and they all share the same sort of reliability, average really. You can also add lambourghini bugatti, bentley and some of porsche. In the eu vw costs more because it is made by ze germans who are paid more zan ze poles who make schkoda or ze greazeball spaniards who screw together seat.

I know soneone who works in an agency that does their branding 'make a big relatively cheap saloon but it mystnt look as attractive as the german one.' It can perform as well, just look boring... Skoda superb vs vw passat...
Old May 10th 2016, 3:01 pm

There is of course the clever wheeze that you cant get the best bits in a skoda. Want a 4x4 sports convertable saloon with a good v6 or 8, that will be german made sir...
Old May 10th 2016, 3:09 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

All VAG cars are made from the same pile of parts, and they all share the same sort of reliability, average really. You can also add lambourghini bugatti, bentley and some of porsche. In the eu vw costs more because it is made by ze germans who are paid more zan ze poles who make schkoda or ze greazeball spaniards who screw together seat.

I know soneone who works in an agency that does their branding 'make a big relatively cheap saloon but it mystnt look as attractive as the german one.' It can perform as well, just look boring... Skoda superb vs vw passat...
I'd say you're Jeremy Clarkson and I'd claim my five pounds but he gets paid for his racist diatribes, I suspect you're spouting them for unpleasant effect.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.