Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

in need of much advice !! please :)

Wikiposts

in need of much advice !! please :)

Old Jan 26th 2010, 11:25 am
Just Joined

zoinks82 is a jewel in the roughzoinks82 is a jewel in the roughzoinks82 is a jewel in the roughzoinks82 is a jewel in the rough
Default in need of much advice !! please :)

hi all
me and my husband and 14 month old son are currently looking into getting our visas sorted for canada ,, but as expected i am getting slightly unerved in reading certain posts ,, our main reasons to emmigrate are ,,a better life for our children , and ourselves,a chance to get away from a country on its knees ,,good job prospects a bigger house etc ,,,but we are undecided as to which side would be best vancouver or toronto ??? we have no family over there so it would be just us 3 at first but im sure more family would follow ,, any advice would be gratefully received ,, thanks louise ........
Old Jan 26th 2010, 11:29 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: in need of much advice !! please :)

Find job, move to it.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 11:33 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
Find job, move to it.
Succinct and to the point.

In addition while the above advise is wise and correct you should have a look at the WIKI links provided.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Quick_...an_Immigration

and the main page http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Category:Canada

Sit back with a cuppa and peruse at you leisure.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 11:33 am
Just Joined

zoinks82 is a jewel in the roughzoinks82 is a jewel in the roughzoinks82 is a jewel in the roughzoinks82 is a jewel in the rough

thanks for the reply but all we were thinking is which side is the better choice for us ,, it would help if we did have job offers but we have time to look for some hopefully , thanks again
Old Jan 26th 2010, 11:36 am
Just Joined

thankyou steve_p i will have a good look at this tomorrow with a cuppa in hand as its past my bedtime now and ive work in the morning ,, again thankyou ....
Old Jan 26th 2010, 11:37 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zoinks82
thanks for the reply but all we were thinking is which side is the better choice for us ,, it would help if we did have job offers but we have time to look for some hopefully , thanks again
There is a bit in the middle as well, but you are right to discount it. It's full of smelly rednecks who ride pigs for fun.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 11:37 am

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Zoinks

Have you visited either / both of those places?
Always worth a visit to see as it can feel very different once there - even in a small visit.

As dbd says - also look into the fields of work you are / hope to be in & have a search on those to see if one would give a better chance for you.

If you are not targetting a certain area for family, then proximity to leisure pursuits e.g. skiing, sailing can influence.

The wiki in the blue bar at the top is a good place to start, & google will help narrow things down a lot.

Have fun reading

Edit: oops - noticed this repeats much of other posts - those who type faster!

Last edited by Bali2010; Jan 26th 2010 at 11:41 am. Reason: re. repeating advice
Old Jan 26th 2010, 11:39 am

You've told us nothing to base any sort of advise on.

So how on earth do you expect an answer?
Old Jan 26th 2010, 11:42 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
There is a bit in the middle as well, but you are right to discount it. It's full of smelly rednecks who ride pigs for fun.
Ma pig broke so I huv tu ride ma sista/cuzzin

Originally Posted by Steve_P
You've told us nothing to base any sort of advise on.

So how on earth do you expect an answer?
Did yer pig ate yer cristul ball
Old Jan 26th 2010, 11:47 am
Just Joined

thanks bali for your reply ,, no we havent been to either side we are just being impulsive and wanting to give it a go we always said we would give it a go before it was to late and now is the time we are more swayed to vancouver side due to family going there and recommendations from friends etc we love the outdoors and live in the lake district in england so we are fairly acttive family
Old Jan 26th 2010, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

Deva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of light

If you can wait a few months jan the piglet might be able to pop by to give you some advice.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 11:52 am
Just Joined

sorry alan and steve p i didnt mean to offend ,, i meant either side by vancouver or toronto as initially we were looking at wasaga beach in ontario then we kinda thought banff ,, whisteler ,kamaloops the list is endless ,,,
basically my hubby is a self employed joiner over here and im a chef we have a 14 month old son and we would like to go somewhere were there is work and a good community ,,
Old Jan 26th 2010, 11:56 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

sorry alan and steve p i didnt mean to offend ,, i meant either side by vancouver or toronto as initially we were looking at wasaga beach in ontario then we kinda thought banff ,, whisteler ,kamaloops the list is endless ,,,
basically my hubby is a self employed joiner over here and im a chef we have a 14 month old son and we would like to go somewhere were there is work and a good community ,,
I'm not offended and I doubt that steve_p is either (he only gets offended if you say iced hockey is dull).

Seriously, you probably should pay a visit to a couple of these places you are thinking about.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 12:06 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks bali for your reply ,, no we havent been to either side we are just being impulsive and wanting to give it a go we always said we would give it a go before it was to late and now is the time we are more swayed to vancouver side due to family going there and recommendations from friends etc we love the outdoors and live in the lake district in england so we are fairly acttive family
Well I am aiming to BC (Kelowna), but that is as much to do with family as anything else, so didn't really look East. Even with visiting 4-5 times it has taken years for me to feel sure, although I know I am not very impulsive.

I love the lakes, UK & the scenery in BC is fantastic - I might even take up skiing of some sort. For that type of scenery though Alberta has a few 'hills' & lakes that are always worth a peak, as well as inland BC. Not so sure about sailing opportunities in the Rockies, but I've certainly been river rafting there (and my personal view is that that is much more fun in southern US where wet suits are not required, but each to their own)

Cost of living / housing seems to be a common theme on here & would need to be considered - even if it didn't change the choice, at least to get some realistic figures.
Again, as I am aiming to be near family I haven't bothered with a lot of comparing around Canada, but if you haven't already found it, there is a national real estate database that is good for a browse.
Common view on here is that BC - Vancouver in particular - housing is pricy, as Kelowna, where I am targeting

http://www.mls.ca/splash.aspx

Have fun planning, but I would definitely recommend a trip - lakes to city living in Vancouver might be a shock (this could just be me as I know I love to visit, but not so much live in big cities).

Old Jan 26th 2010, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I'm not offended and I doubt that steve_p is either (he only gets offended if you say iced hockey is dull).
Not dull.

Especially compared to soccer (football) and cricket (now that's dull).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.