British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   need help on cooking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/need-help-cooking-453852/)

kate white May 28th 2007 4:15 pm

need help on cooking

came across a book I bought in Canada and what I need to know is what is liquid smoke its in a lot of the recipes.
kate

Souvenir May 28th 2007 4:21 pm

Re: need help on cooking

Originally Posted by kate white (Post 4842317)
came across a book I bought in Canada and what I need to know is what is liquid smoke its in a lot of the recipes.
kate

It's just what it says it is. It's a food ingredient that makes food taste like it was cooked over a wood fire. Essentially, it's hardwood (hickory) chips that are burned and the smoke is captured and turned into a liquid. You might find it in the BBQ section of your local DIY store.

kate white May 28th 2007 4:30 pm

:thumbsup: bless ya.now I feel like a right charlie:D but I knew it would be something silly. thanks for letting me know what it is Im sure I have something like that in my kitchen some where
kate

Souvenir May 28th 2007 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by kate white (Post 4842355)
:thumbsup: bless ya.now I feel like a right charlie:D but I knew it would be something silly. thanks for letting me know what it is Im sure I have something like that in my kitchen some where
kate

Scraping the bottom of the oven doesn't count.

kate white May 28th 2007 4:57 pm

:ROFL:HAY anything in this house counts.you should see what I dish up half the time:thumbsup:Katie's kitchen they call it :blink:have not managed to poison anyone yet but trying hard:thumbs up:

Purley May 28th 2007 10:41 pm

Dont worry about your cooking. I have been ruining food for donkey's years!

Not sure if I have told this story before but anyway there are new people on here. When we first were in Regina, people raved about Saskatoon pie. Saskatoons are little berries about the size of blueberries but they don't taste the same. The first year we were in our house we asked the neighbours and they told us a good place to go to pick Saskatoons. So off we went.

In due course we got enough berries for a pie so I came home and made some pastry - which is about the only thing I am really good at. After the pie was cooked my husband and I had a slice and there was something wrong! So I phoned my neighbour - "What do you do with the stones?" "What stones are you talking about?" "The stones in the berries!" "You have gone and picked choke cherries not Saskatoons - you can't make pies with choke cherries, they are much too sour!"

Anybody else got their "faux pas" stories from when they first came here??

kate white May 28th 2007 11:33 pm

:rofl:and I was worried about my cooking:rofl:ask me to cook you a curry or what ever BUT DONT ask me to cook a frash lobster:eek:did it once and I threw up in the pot the second time I made the bog.ever since then I have stayed clear of live lobster.and just for the record yes the pot went in the bin:rofl:now Im going to scrape souverir's oven.sounds yummy to me:rofl:

dbd33 May 29th 2007 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by kate white (Post 4842317)
kate

What kind of a recipe book calls for imitation smoke?

"Make your own baloney", "The Cheeze-Whiz Collection", "Ill Heath and Obesity in 90 Days" ?

Flossie and Jim May 29th 2007 2:37 pm

If its cooking disaster stories you want, when the OH was a wee young lad and his sister was looking after him so he decided to make some pancakes for when his mum got home. He beavered away and made the pancake mix.....but along the way the cookery book page must have blown over and he ended up baking them in the oven in large square oven trays.....they turned out quite huge!!!

I'll save my "tuna bleurgh" recipe for you another time!

Flossie

purple80 May 29th 2007 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by kate white (Post 4842355)
kate

Whats a right Charlie?????
:confused:Charlie:confused:

Souvenir May 29th 2007 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 4846335)
What kind of a recipe book calls for imitation smoke?

A North American one. Why do it yourself if you can get it from a jar? Consider lazy garlic.

Souvenir May 29th 2007 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by purple80 (Post 4846426)
Whats a right Charlie?????
:confused:Charlie:confused:

Twit. Prat. Dickhead. Idiot. Moron. Pillock, Berk.......

Etc.

dbd33 May 29th 2007 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Souvenir (Post 4846434)
A North American one. Why do it yourself if you can get it from a jar? Consider lazy garlic.

I've no idea what "lazy garlic" might be but, on Sunday, I watched a rack of ribs and a leg of lamb being smoked by an American in the manner usual in America. I see that most weeks, love of barbecue is quintessentially American and it's not something they ruin with imitation flavours or with propane.

There's even a lively discussion board about barbecue : http://www.barbecuebible.com/

Souvenir May 29th 2007 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 4846472)
I've no idea what "lazy garlic" might be but, on Sunday, I watched a rack of ribs and a leg of lamb being smoked by an American in the manner usual in America. I see that most weeks, love of barbecue is quintessentially American and it's not something they ruin with imitation flavours or with propane.

There's even a lively discussion board about barbecue : http://www.barbecuebible.com/

Garlic must be chopped. This can take literally seconds. If life is too frantic, or you are a lazy ba$tard, you can buy chopped garlic in a jar. It's only about ten times more expensive.

kate white May 29th 2007 3:55 pm

:blink: Disaster food my sister inlaw asked me to try her curry and she was so proud of it:eek:she put mince in a pot with onions chuck in curry powder and that was her curry:thumbdown:she still cant even boil a egg:blink:she wanted to cook a christmas dinner one year for the family when we asked what she was cooking she said mashed potatoes and gravy and we could have fried onions if we liked:blink: needless to say we all said no its okay and why dont we just all bring something so we did:thumbsup: moto never eat at my sister in laws