Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Nearly 6 years - miss England terribly

Nearly 6 years - miss England terribly

Old Jun 22nd 2021, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

Amra is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nearly 6 years - miss England terribly

I feel that the longer I've been here, the more I miss England. Time and space seem to enhance my memory towards the small details of things I miss. I find myself wanting to talk to someone from 'back home'. I have been lucky enough to travel back almost every year for my 'fix' of all things British. But since March 2020 and the dreaded 'Covid' I haven't been able to.

Does anyone else feel very homesick??
Old Jun 23rd 2021, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

DMajor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nearly 6 years - miss England terribly

Chubby Brown had a good remedy for home sickness..
He said, if you feel home sick, go home...you'll soon be sick of it.

Seriously, it's the ban on travel that affects me more. Just the feeling that you can't just get up and go somewhere, that's the worst feeling for me..
Old Jun 23rd 2021, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

Haha! Good one.
I wish I did have the option to go back. At least for a few years more.
Yes, the travel restrictions are depressing..
Old Jun 23rd 2021, 5:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DMajor
Chubby Brown had a good remedy for home sickness..
He said, if you feel home sick, go home...you'll soon be sick of it.

Seriously, it's the ban on travel that affects me more. Just the feeling that you can't just get up and go somewhere, that's the worst feeling for me..
Ban? There is no ban on leaving Canada. If fully vaccinated you can even return without quarantine as of 6 July.
Old Jun 24th 2021, 6:02 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amra
I feel that the longer I've been here, the more I miss England. Time and space seem to enhance my memory towards the small details of things I miss. I find myself wanting to talk to someone from 'back home'. I have been lucky enough to travel back almost every year for my 'fix' of all things British. But since March 2020 and the dreaded 'Covid' I haven't been able to.

Does anyone else feel very homesick??

Yes, desperately and I've lived all my adult life in North America. I miss UK stuff/food/experiences some of it I never actually experienced. I feel I've had massed cultural gaps in my life (especially around Christmas traditions and British boy bands for some weird reason) which are a little bit disconcerting. A year ago I discovered Shooting Stars (with Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer). How the naff did I miss that cultural wonderment?

Last edited by Oink; Jun 24th 2021 at 6:14 am.
Old Jun 24th 2021, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

'Shooting stars' never really appealed to me, although I love Bob Mortimer. I recently subscribed to 'Britbox' on Prime and started watching old tv serials like ' Inspector Morse' and 'Cracker' etc...
Old Jun 24th 2021, 1:49 pm
The Pixies still Rule.

John_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to behold

I was a big fan of Shooting Stars back in the 90's. It was brilliant at the time with some ingenious elements. My friends and I still Club Sing to this day.
Old Jun 24th 2021, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

DMajor is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gozit
Ban? There is no ban on leaving Canada. If fully vaccinated you can even return without quarantine as of 6 July.
I'm talking about the restrictions of the last year or so.
Haven't been able to go into the USA because our travel was considered non essential and visiting the UK was impossible for many months
Old Jun 24th 2021, 10:26 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Yes, desperately and I've lived all my adult life in North America. I miss UK stuff/food/experiences some of it I never actually experienced. I feel I've had massed cultural gaps in my life (especially around Christmas traditions and British boy bands for some weird reason) which are a little bit disconcerting. A year ago I discovered Shooting Stars (with Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer). How the naff did I miss that cultural wonderment?
ulriikkaakaaaa!

Not being able to visit my mum is getting to me now and making me quite depressed. Every six monthsbid stay with Mum for a week, catch up with friends, visit an art gallery. I'm pining
Old Jun 24th 2021, 11:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
ulriikkaakaaaa!

Not being able to visit my mum is getting to me now and making me quite depressed. Every six monthsbid stay with Mum for a week, catch up with friends, visit an art gallery. I'm pining
Britain doesn't have Fjords
Old Jun 25th 2021, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Britain doesn't have Fjords
Any Norwegian Blues ?
Old Jun 25th 2021, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

I feel I've had massed cultural gaps in my life (especially around Christmas traditions and British boy bands for some weird reason) which are a little bit disconcerting.
You miss assembly line pop. Are you Simon Cowell in disguise? For every 6 Music there is a Magic/Galaxy/Heart FM playing the same songs with the same 'wacky' phone ins.
Old Jun 25th 2021, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

I miss the wit and the self-deprecating humour. I miss cuttingly honest talk.
Old Jun 26th 2021, 7:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amra
I miss the wit and the self-deprecating humour. I miss cuttingly honest talk.
I was born and raised in Canada but I don't fit in well with the Canadian politically correct, "polite" personality.
Old Jun 27th 2021, 12:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Gozit
I was born and raised in Canada but I don't fit in well with the Canadian politically correct, "polite" personality.
I am the same. Lived in England too long to take to it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.