Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Near death experiences

Wikiposts

Near death experiences

Old Jul 13th 2009, 4:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute
Default Near death experiences

Ever had one of those moments when you thought 'this is it'?

Mine was a few years ago when hubby and I were white water rafting in Australia. Went through some rapids and tipped up and over. Hubby got tangled up under water with a load of other people and had a hard time getting back up, and I was spinning around and came up under the upturned raft and had to manoeuvre out. One of the other passengers got bashed up when she was squished between the raft and a rock.

Found out afterwards that an Olympic kayaker had drowned 6 months earlier on the same stretch of river when she got tangled in the weeds.

What I was surprised about was how clearly I remember every detail of the incident (like a slow motion replay) and how calm I was with my decision making about what I needed to do to save myself.

Also my contact lenses stayed in even though I had my eyes open underwater the whole time

That was enough of an 'experience' for me, so I'm never going rafting again

Anyone else had a close call? (I may regret asking this with all those pilots that frequent the forum )
Old Jul 13th 2009, 4:38 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Near death experiences

Originally Posted by Tuppence
Anyone else had a close call? (I may regret asking this with all those pilots that frequent the forum )
I drove under the trailer of an articulated lorry which was travelling at high speed. The rear wheels of the trailer went through the passenger door of my car and advanced across the passenger seat toward me. The process seemed unhurried, indeed as the wheels neared me I thought "I hope the driver slows down soon, otherwise he'll squash me".
Old Jul 13th 2009, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I drove under the trailer of an articulated lorry which was travelling at high speed. The rear wheels of the trailer went through the passenger door of my car and advanced across the passenger seat toward me. The process seemed unhurried, indeed as the wheels neared me I thought "I hope the driver slows down soon, otherwise he'll squash me".
I witnessed an accident on the M1 a few years ago, and again I can clearly recall in detail every stage of it. Perhaps the adrenaline kicks in and we pay more attention when we need to?

Any particular reason you drove under the the lorry?!
Old Jul 13th 2009, 4:46 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Ever had one of those moments when you thought 'this is it'?

Mine was a few years ago when hubby and I were white water rafting in Australia. Went through some rapids and tipped up and over. Hubby got tangled up under water with a load of other people and had a hard time getting back up, and I was spinning around and came up under the upturned raft and had to manoeuvre out. One of the other passengers got bashed up when she was squished between the raft and a rock.

Found out afterwards that an Olympic kayaker had drowned 6 months earlier on the same stretch of river when she got tangled in the weeds.

What I was surprised about was how clearly I remember every detail of the incident (like a slow motion replay) and how calm I was with my decision making about what I needed to do to save myself.

Also my contact lenses stayed in even though I had my eyes open underwater the whole time

That was enough of an 'experience' for me, so I'm never going rafting again

Fortunately, and knock on wood, I have never had anything that I couldn't handle in 40 years of flying, eight years of hot air ballooning or fifteen years of white water rafting including several trips on the Colorado through The Grand canyon and other major rivers. I have had "situations" but none that I could term a near death experience. I do, however, have those every time I ride in a car with SWMBO and she's driving!!
Old Jul 13th 2009, 4:48 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I witnessed an accident on the M1 a few years ago, and again I can clearly recall in detail every stage of it. Perhaps the adrenaline kicks in and we pay more attention when we need to?

Any particular reason you drove under the the lorry?!
I was passing it, a tyre blew, I skidded then overcorrected and bounced off the central barrier under the trailer.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 5:36 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

My most likely near death experience would have been a classic Canadian way to go - collision with a Moose, or more accurately two Moose. I was returning to St John's from a business trip. The Mrs picked me up around midnight and we headed back down the highway like we have done umpteen times before. A car comes the other way so she dips the headlights and then there, in an instant are two moose, one standing in the lane we are in and one in the over taking lane. The Mrs, with reactions that I probably wouldn't have had, flicked the wheel and we shaved between them, probably on two wheels at the time. It was over in the blink of an eye and it felt like an eternity until the 'WTF almost just happened' conversation started!

Aside from that, I used to do a lot of offshore powerboating in open, Rigid Inflatables. I have, upon occasion, almost been ejected from the boat and gone through some fairly rough seas. One famous occasion going around Lands End, I had to invite the Mrs to move from the seat at the aft of the boat closer to me because I was worried she was going to be washed overboard. None of this was near death but there have been some, shall we say, brown trousers, moments.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 5:54 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

I once watched an entire episode of Home and Away .
Old Jul 13th 2009, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

I drove through a wall. Can clearly remember every second of it. I remember seeing it come towards the car kind of at slow motion, thinking "oh shit I am going to die", then saw a blinding flash (as the airbag went off?) and I think I must have blanked out for a few seconds because the next thing I knew the car was in the middle of a field. I had a few seconds of panic thinking "gotta get out, gotta get out" and then I calmed down. It was probably a good thing that the doors were locked and I couldn't unlock them though because I had injured my back pretty badly, and if I had got out I would have probably done myself a worse injury than I did by staying put until I was rescued.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fledermaus
And you survived to tell the tale? Now that's an achievement
Old Jul 13th 2009, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

This seems to be anecdotally proving the point that you are far more likely to have a problem driving about in a car, than you are to fall out of the sky in a plane accident.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 7:17 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
I can top that. Watched an episode of Escape to the Country. Now stick that in your pipe and smoke it.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 7:32 am
Account Closed

And you survived to tell the tale? Now that's an achievement
It was very traumatic. As well as having to watch the programme I had to listen to my mum telling me all about the characters. Still, it's the hard stuff that makes you the person you are today.

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
I can top that. Watched an episode of Escape to the Country. Now stick that in your pipe and smoke it.
Smoking it now. But no, mine was worse.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 7:33 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

I did walk into the wrong place once

I stepped out of a Hotel elevator right into an agitated and upset Italian policeman who promptly pointed his gun at my face

All I can remember is thinking how dark the barrel was
And then just slowly talked to him until he calmed down and let me go
It seems like the world went slow almost like slow-motion whilst my mind raced through it

I needed a stiff drink after that
Old Jul 13th 2009, 7:34 am
Account Closed

This seems to be anecdotally proving the point that you are far more likely to have a problem driving about in a car, than you are to fall out of the sky in a plane accident.
I do know someone who crashed a glider, breaking her back, pelvis, legs. Air ambulance job. PTSD, the lot. Not good.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 9:47 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I thought I was a goner on a water slide at Raging Waters in San Dimas California. Scary stuff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.