Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

My plan to tell the parents we are staying worked

My plan to tell the parents we are staying worked

Old May 13th 2008, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute
Default My plan to tell the parents we are staying worked

So we had the Royal visit last week.

Horrendous - my blood pressure is sky high. They started drinking at 10.30am. Barely listened to more than one sentance of anything I've said. And just repeated the 3 same stories from 'home' the whole time.

My mother has pickled herself in so much Gin that she forgot to tell me that she had had her eyes lasered (I have wondered why she wasn't wear reading glasses), and forgot that she told us at least 10 times a day that the dog has artherisits which she had before we left!

Anyway, last year I decided not to tell them that we were staying until the end of their holiday for fear that they would hate Vancouver, and it would ruin their holiday. But then I chickened out at the end.

This year I decided to say at the start. First night usual questions about how well work is going. I said that they are very impressed with me but want me to either committ to Canada and become a 'landed immigrant' (not using the word permanent as in 'PR') because work visas are too hard to get renewed every year. or move to their other emerging area Australia because that is where my strength lie. (My boss had been pre-warned about this just in case she charged his office)

My parents know nothing about WP or PR so I blinded them with a bit of science so to speak.

Well my mother thinks that Canada is the other side of the world and the flight nearly kills her (we hear this often enough), so she really would die on a flight to Oz. She also hates the heat and of course all of Oz is hot all the time.

Well her selfishness is so predictable that she totally played straight into this. All she went on about was how she hates the heat and how she nearly dies on long flights etc. She made this last for about 30 minutes, but ultimately she thinks it is best that we stay in Canada!!!!!!!!!!

I am very sad that not once during all this did she ask anything about how the work in each of these companies would differ, what the immigration processes are like, what the career oportunties are like, or which country WE would like to live in. No it was all about her.

Mr L2S has been my total rock this past week, although he does wonder why I have been fretting about telling them that we are staying and worried that I will hurt them or upset them, when all my mother does is worry about herself and certainly doesn't care what is best for me.

So other than this news which she seemed to forgot by the end of the week, she had a good time and went home with lots of shopping. I'm looking forward to my life returning to 'normal' and I am sure the hobo who collected all her bottles has booked his first class ticket over to the east for the summer.

Next challenge - Mr L2S's 19 year old sister is being sent to stay with us next week for 2 weeks to try and get her on the straight and narrow cos his parents are disparing of her, and apparently she thinks I am a good role model. Let's hope that my emotional breakdown that is well-over due doesn't hit whilst she is here!

L2S

PS - please don't write and tell me that I am a bad daughter, because I know I am, but I am so drained of engery that I couldn't even start to explain to anyone why I will never feel like I am a good daughter - I just try to be the best daughter I can without compromising my own life too much.

Last edited by live to ski; May 13th 2008 at 10:05 pm. Reason: adding about Mr L2S's sister
Old May 13th 2008, 10:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My plan to tell the parents we are staying worked

Well karma to you for your royal visit. If you stayed sane, did not murder anyone and waved goodbye with a smile, then well done you. Now then, get on with living the rest of your life in Canada - oh, and bottoms up
Old May 13th 2008, 10:07 pm

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by live to ski
So we had the Royal visit last week.

Horrendous - my blood pressure is sky high. They started drinking at 10.30am. Barely listened to more than one sentance of anything I've said. And just repeated the 3 same stories from 'home' the whole time.

My mother has pickled herself in so much Gin that she forgot to tell me that she had had her eyes lasered (I have wondered why she wasn't wear reading glasses), and forgot that she told us at least 10 times a day that the dog has artherisits which she had before we left!

Anyway, last year I decided not to tell them that we were staying until the end of their holiday for fear that they would hate Vancouver, and it would ruin their holiday. But then I chickened out at the end.

This year I decided to say at the start. First night usual questions about how well work is going. I said that they are very impressed with me but want me to either committ to Canada and become a 'landed immigrant' (not using the word permanent as in 'PR') because work visas are too hard to get renewed every year. or move to their other emerging area Australia because that is where my strength lie. (My boss had been pre-warned about this just in case she charged his office)

My parents know nothing about WP or PR so I blinded them with a bit of science so to speak.

Well my mother thinks that Canada is the other side of the world and the flight nearly kills her (we hear this often enough), so she really would die on a flight to Oz. She also hates the heat and of course all of Oz is hot all the time.

Well her selfishness is so predictable that she totally played straight into this. All she went on about was how she hates the heat and how she nearly dies on long flights etc. She made this last for about 30 minutes, but ultimately she thinks it is best that we stay in Canada!!!!!!!!!!

I am very sad that not once during all this did she ask anything about how the work in each of these companies would differ, what the immigration processes are like, what the career oportunties are like, or which country WE would like to live in. No it was all about her.

Mr L2S has been my total rock this past week, although he does wonder why I have been fretting about telling them that we are staying and worried that I will hurt them or upset them, when all my mother does is worry about herself and certainly doesn't care what is best for me.

So other than this news which she seemed to forgot by the end of the week, she had a good time and went home with lots of shopping. I'm looking forward to my life returning to 'normal' and I am sure the hobo who collected all her bottles has booked his first class ticket over to the east for the summer.

Next challenge - Mr L2S's 19 year old sister is being sent to stay with us next week for 2 weeks to try and get her on the straight and narrow cos his parents are disparing of her, and apparently she thinks I am a good role model. Let's hope that my emotional breakdown that is well-over due doesn't hit whilst she is here!

L2S

PS - please don't write and tell me that I am a bad daughter, because I know I am, but I am so drained of engery that I couldn't even start to explain to anyone why I will never feel like I am a good daughter - I just try to be the best daughter I can without compromising my own life too much.
Good for you, glad you survived...

Charlie
Old May 13th 2008, 10:10 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

You sound like an angel to me...I can cope with 1 or 2 days before I feel the need to throw my Mum back from whence she came! Karma sent.
Old May 13th 2008, 10:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

High numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond repute

First of all you are not a bad daughter as you would not have had them to stay in the first place.

I think that she is unhappy in her self and jealous of you and how well you are doing.

My Mum is the same and when I left home all those years ago I had all sorts of nasty things said to me and it was all about her not me growing up and making something of myself.

I feel for you both as I can relate to your tale so enjoy BC and the peace you have in you home now.
Old May 13th 2008, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Wooooowwwww sounds like you can now breath a sigh of relief, especially as it worked out so well.

Good for you!
Old May 13th 2008, 10:31 pm

Mrs Miggins is an unknown quantity at this point

Feeling like a bad daughter - pah, you are living for yourself, this is your life and its for the taking, you don't owe anyone anything!

Mrs M X
Old May 13th 2008, 10:32 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

L2S
Has nobody else noticed this paragraph???

Bad daughter???? I believe you are a saint!!!
Old May 13th 2008, 10:54 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Has nobody else noticed this paragraph???

Bad daughter???? I believe you are a saint!!!
Maybe they are hoping L2S can persuade the errant sister to move to new continent?
Old May 13th 2008, 11:48 pm
Fluffy Dippindoodle

pinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations for surviving the visit and the breaking of the news!

My parents are due in 3 weeks for a fortnight - hoping I survive their visit, they've never stayed with us for more than 3 nights before!!
Old May 13th 2008, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

I can't imagine why you think you are a bad daughter I think you played the whole scenario brilliantly.

Your mother is happy thinking she has decided you are staying in Canada for her convenience althought you really, really wanted to go to OZ

You can relax now and be a good "role model" for Mr LTS's sister

Karma sent.

Jo

Last edited by fuschiagirl; May 13th 2008 at 11:52 pm.
Old May 14th 2008, 12:04 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fuschiagirl
I can't imagine why you think you are a bad daughter
Maybe she bought her mother the cheap gin.
Old May 14th 2008, 12:44 am
BE Enthusiast

mc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bazzz
Maybe she bought her mother the cheap gin.
Then I'm sure her father thinks the world of her!
Old May 14th 2008, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

joelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to behold

Well done you for handling it so well. I'm sure you'll look back one day and wonder why you got yourself in such a stew over telling them.
Old May 14th 2008, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

ah you are not a bad daughter at all..if anything quite the opposite!!

i wish my mother would come for a visit!...or any of my family for that matter..i miss them all soooo much!!!

good luck with everything!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.