Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Moving to Canada is like.......(insert here)

Moving to Canada is like.......(insert here)

Old Jun 8th 2019, 11:18 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Canada is like.......(insert here)

We had issue after issue with unusable xplornet until they put the new tower and system in its been far better. Not always great but better.
Old Jun 9th 2019, 5:41 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

. . . having a liver transplant and then thinking, naff it, I might as well carry on drinking.
Old Jun 10th 2019, 2:15 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by no good name
Except house prices in Oakville
We moved here from west London in 2006. Our house cost less than the 750 sq ft flat we sold. I'll accept that house prices have since risen much faster than wages, but then so have house prices in affluent areas of the UK capital. I wouldn't be able to afford to live where I do if I were moving today - but that's largely because we wouldn't be able to buy so many dollars for our pounds, not because the relative increase in house prices (pound for pound vs dollar for dollar) is significantly out of whack.
Old Jun 10th 2019, 2:36 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
The one criticism I have is that the service is a bit "weathery". In ferocious storms it doesn't work at all. At such times I switch to using Bluetooth to the phone (Bell), that's agonisingly slow by comparison and costs about $300 per day to use. I'm less keen on Bell than xplornet.
Is your flavour of Xplornet, Satellite or some sort of cellular/wifi? Satellite is subject to rain degradation - all those rain drops get in the way of the RF signal. Higher end mobile satellite terminals have clever software and sometimes a back up different band satcom system as back up/mitigation. Cheaper fixed terminals likely do not. Still, if you choose to live in the middle of bloody nowhere.... If you can wait a bit Xplornet's parent company - Hughes, is launching a higher capacity satellite (Jupiter 3) in 2021 which should improve connectivity. Then of course there is that nice Mr Musk, who is planning to launch 12000 or so Starlink Satellites to bring broadband to the masses. As is Telesat (a Canadian company) and Elon's duelling space billionaire nemesis that Bezos fella. However these are some years away from commercial service introduction. Far enough to be reasonably considered to be vapourware at this point.
Old Jun 10th 2019, 2:51 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Is your flavour of Xplornet, Satellite or some sort of cellular/wifi? Satellite is subject to rain degradation - all those rain drops get in the way of the RF signal. Higher end mobile satellite terminals have clever software and sometimes a back up different band satcom system as back up/mitigation. Cheaper fixed terminals likely do not. Still, if you choose to live in the middle of bloody nowhere.... If you can wait a bit Xplornet's parent company - Hughes, is launching a higher capacity satellite (Jupiter 3) in 2021 which should improve connectivity. Then of course there is that nice Mr Musk, who is planning to launch 12000 or so Starlink Satellites to bring broadband to the masses. As is Telesat (a Canadian company) and Elon's duelling space billionaire nemesis that Bezos fella. However these are some years away from commercial service introduction. Far enough to be reasonably considered to be vapourware at this point.
The current xplornet set up is line-of-sight to a small dish on the roof. The weather degradation is, I think, due to the dish wobbling in high winds. In that circumstance I switch to using the cell phone.

At a previous house we had a Hughes big dish satellite set up which was more stable but slow (xplornet is fast enough for two people to watch streamed displays at once). The Hughes arrangement had the novel feature of a Chicago ip address; we could see things offered in the US but not Canada specific items. It was, iirc, about $800/month for Hughes service, another of those unexpected costs of rural living.
Old Jul 14th 2019, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

no good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond repute

Is like :
Going to a theme park.

You see the TV adverts. See the smiley happy people in the pictures with the cheesy jingle tune. Hear about all the cool rides. Sun shining, water splashes. It's all supposed to be thrill a minute awesomeness.. You are assured this is not to be missed!

So you go.

You spend over an hour travelling to get there - In traffic of course. The CAR PARK is rammed full on arrival. The admission fee is rather high.. Once inside you have to pay over the odds for tokens to get on the rides. The queues to any decent ride worth waiting for are humungous! You wait, hot and bothered for way too long. rubbing shoulders with fellow hot and bothered, sweaty people for a 30 second mediocre adrenaline rush.. You pay an extortionate price for a rank hot dog.. You are obliged to pay for a photo of said 30 second mediocre ride to capture the moment...
Yay

All looks perfection in the adverts. In reality though...……..

Old Jul 14th 2019, 1:18 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...mediocre adrenaline rush..
That sounds like a contradiction.

Old Jul 20th 2020, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

no good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond reputeno good name has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macadian
Not at all. Fished all over the UK but much more costly and access to many waters outrageously expensive and access (legally) often.
Can fish for pike for free in most Lochs in Scotland can you not?
And can fish for mackerel or other types FREE in many sea lochs?....
The permits to fish in countless lochs or rivers in absolutely stunning scenery/proper countryside (which s#it all over any lake in flat land Ontario) in my experience were perfectly affordable..

Old Jul 20th 2020, 2:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Oakvillian

I'll accept that house prices have since risen much faster than wages

I wouldn't be able to afford to live where I do if I were moving today
So try take a momentary glimpse into the mindset of someone who has moved here bang smack in the 'time' that you state above....
Old Jul 20th 2020, 8:55 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of tourists from the UK come to Canada for the fishing, despite the beauty of the Scottish lochs. I mod on a UK fishing forum, and I fish with people who moved here from the UK. They all say there is no comparison, and this is in the flattest province.
Old Jul 20th 2020, 2:35 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Can fish for pike for free in most Lochs in Scotland can you not?
And can fish for mackerel or other types FREE in many sea lochs?....
The permits to fish in countless lochs or rivers in absolutely stunning scenery/proper countryside (which s#it all over any lake in flat land Ontario) in my experience were perfectly affordable..
Perhaps you need to try some other lakes or areas in Ontario - there's the cambrian shield (Canadian Shield) that soars above flat lands..... not forgetting Georgian Bay, Manitoulin Island and plenty of other places that are good on the eye as well as having good fishing - Charleston Lake has Lake Trout, Large and Small Mouth Bass, Northern Pike, Black Crappie, Yellow Perch, for a start - and there are free fishing weekends / weeks 4 times a year if you can't afford the $15 annual fishing license fee

You can find fault in anything or everything if you are negative about the country in the first place... Absence makes the heart grow fonder, apparently!
Old Jul 20th 2020, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

...............is like being able to do things you only ever dreamed of doing in the UK.... enjoying the hot summers on the water in a boat and take in the stunning scenary.... then in the winter out on the snowmobile, skiing, snow shoeing..... again enjoying the scenary the outdoor air..... the climate of the UK wouldnt allow it, and Id never be able to afford such actiivties anyway. That said its not all roses, the cost of living in Canada compared to the UK and the US has rocketed, so that is a down side, and as I have probably mentioned I do miss the British pub and the fine ale..... ahh sigh...... but you cant have it all! I think sipping a mid strength average North American beer with this view kind of makes up for it.

Old Jul 20th 2020, 3:15 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

is like going to any other 1st world country

you work, you shop, you have your leisure activities....? I

it's different, but not by that much ….
Old Jul 20th 2020, 6:53 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Canada's a big place OP, if Oakville isn't working out there are other towns/provinces !
Old Jul 21st 2020, 1:31 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
is like going to any other 1st world country

you work, you shop, you have your leisure activities....? I

it's different, but not by that much ….
That sums it up pretty perfectly for me! But I don't like the winters! It's also very boring and not at all exciting if you have lived anywhere else on earth other than Canada or the UK...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.