Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Movies - 2018 Strikes Back

Movies - 2018 Strikes Back

Old Jan 31st 2018, 3:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Movies - 2018 Strikes Back

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Has anyone else seen The Circle

Social media to the nth degree, the shape of things to come?

The Circle (2017) Reviews - Metacritic
I watched this, I liked the subject matter and felt it had a lot of good points. I think the film was potentially targeted at teens though as that's how it felt in places. Some of the script was very cringe though. Its should open some teens eyes though which is good.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 5:26 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
My wife watched it and said it was ok. I don't like the main actress (Harry Potter girl) so couldn't watch, even though the subject matter interests me. Any good?
The concept was interesting (particularly in my line of work); Tom Hanks quite good in his part (but then I've always liked his films) and the potential was there.. the plot fell down in parts though. Still enjoyable, for me, though I found the ending somewhat abrupt and felt they could have taken it further.

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
I watched this, I liked the subject matter and felt it had a lot of good points. I think the film was potentially targeted at teens though as that's how it felt in places. Some of the script was very cringe though. Its should open some teens eyes though which is good.
Agreed!

Old Jan 31st 2018, 9:11 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
The concept was interesting (particularly in my line of work); Tom Hanks quite good in his part (but then I've always liked his films) and the potential was there.. the plot fell down in parts though. Still enjoyable, for me, though I found the ending somewhat abrupt and felt they could have taken it further.

Yes I think that's pretty consistent with what I heard. I also like Tom Hanks, and thought he was great in Captain Phillips. Looking forward to see his new one set in DC.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 10:09 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the end of circle was good, as was the rest of the film
Old Feb 1st 2018, 4:48 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

My wife watched it and said it was ok. I don't like the main actress (Harry Potter girl) so couldn't watch, even though the subject matter interests me. Any good?
I’m not particularly keen on her either. The plot looks good though
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

I watched Snowden last night, that was very good. I already knew the story as its one I've followed for years but it was a good eye opener for my girlfriend.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt is such a truly diverse actor.
Films like this to 500 days of summer to Don Jon.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 11:45 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Miss Sloane was quite good.
Watched tonight. Really enjoyed it and did not see that coming.

For anyone who likes something political with a small p. I actually preferred it to The Post.

Originally Posted by IMDB
In the high-stakes world of political power-brokers, Elizabeth Sloane is the most sought after and formidable lobbyist in D.C. But when taking on the most powerful opponent of her career, she finds winning may come at too high a price.
Remarkable screenplay for someone who's never written anything else.
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 5:19 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
I thought the end of circle was good, as was the rest of the film
This post reminds me of the old times when films in cinemas played on continuous loop and you could walk in at any random point of the film and watch the beginning after the end.
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 7:14 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
This post reminds me of the old times when films in cinemas played on continuous loop and you could walk in at any random point of the film and watch the beginning after the end.

Used to do that nearly every Saturday.

"right, this is where we came in..."
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 11:09 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

First two Star Trek re-makes (JJ Abrahms). Saw them a couple of years ago and re-watched this week. Totally awesome. Haven't seen the third one (2016?) yet...but looking forward to when I do.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 7:51 pm
Oscar nominated

First two Star Trek re-makes (JJ Abrahms). Saw them a couple of years ago and re-watched this week. Totally awesome. Haven't seen the third one (2016?) yet...but looking forward to when I do.
I liked them.

Coming soon

Old Feb 5th 2018, 3:59 am
BE Enthusiast

I really didn't like the third one.
It didn't have the tension and grit of the first two.
Old Feb 5th 2018, 8:37 am
Yo

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
I really didn't like the third one.
It didn't have the tension and grit of the first two.
Good to know - can lower my expectations. Considering how iconic the crew of the original Star Trek became, I thought the JJ Abram's films did an excellent job of recapturing that essence.

Have started watching Netflix Discovery Star Trek too. Not bad. Never got into TNG or any of the other off shoots. There are so many it seems.
Old Feb 5th 2018, 12:38 pm
Oscar nominated

Have started watching Netflix Discovery Star Trek too. Not bad. Never got into TNG or any of the other off shoots. There are so many it seems.
I liked TNG, except for that really annoying soppy git Wesley Crusher.

"Q" was good. I remember a line of his when he was no longer immortal. "I would be eternally grateful. Which doesn’t mean as much as it used to, I’ll admit…”
Old Feb 5th 2018, 12:47 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I liked TNG, except for that really annoying soppy git Wesley Crusher.

"Q" was good. I remember a line of his when he was no longer immortal. "I would be eternally grateful. Which doesn’t mean as much as it used to, I’ll admit…”
I hardly know it. Although there is photo of the cast, and Whoopi Goldberg is in it wearing some ridiculous headgear. I think that sums it up !

But Picard was good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.