Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Movies - 2018 Strikes Back

Movies - 2018 Strikes Back

Old Jan 17th 2018, 1:55 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Movies - 2018 Strikes Back

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
Star Wars for me was a 4/10.

I walked out of the cinema not really caring about what would happen next, which is the first time this has happened in any Star Wars. Even with the prequels being so terrible, I had intrigue in where the plot would move and hope that the next film would be of better quality.

My main issue with The Last Jedi is that like The Force Awakens, it isn't original at all. The Force Awakens was a rip off of the original Star Wars with a planet destroying weapon.. This film was a rip off of elements from all three of the original films.

Make it a 2/10.
It's just Star Wars, it's not meant to be serious ground breaking film. They're all fairly similar when it comes right down to it. There was good tension between Kylo and Rey, especially when they could telepathically speak to each other. Luke's withdrawal and where he ended up was interesting. As was his projection in the final battle scene. Can't believe you would walk out on it, it certainly wasn't that bad.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 6:36 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
I read the plot synopsis as for Jedi as soon as I could. I'm slightly odd in that I don't care about written spoilers
Those are usually written, like reviews, without giving important things away though.
, as I feel what I read vs what I see can be quite different.
If you read the butler did it, when you see the movie the butler still did it.
I also equate it to reading the book before seeing the film, you already know what is going to happen (well, if they follow the plot as closely as they should / can), but seeing how it's done is different, and you have in your mind how things might look,
Similar with watching it again...although these days I sometimes watch a movie that 5 minutes in I realise I've seen it before but I can't remember a damn thing that happened, so watch it again and still enjoy it.
so it can be interesting to see how others interpret things.
I'd prefer that to happen after I saw it though.

Originally Posted by Shard
It's just Star Wars...
If I was a fan I might be spitting feathers.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

llysmabley is an unknown quantity at this point

Recommend "The Post" for lovers of good stories.
Well acted .
The first 5 minutes in Vietnam set the scene.
Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep's wigs were amazing.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 8:57 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Ok. Yes, I can see the Silence of the Lambs similarity.

First time I've seen a Subaru in France. You live there at times so you may have seen them. As well, one episode has a Dacia which is a car you don't see very often.

The scenery is nice but at times the dubbing into english seems a bit out of synch and devoid of emotion. If I could understand french fluently I'd watch it that way.

I've watched 5 out of 6 episodes so there is a lot to wrap up still.
Ok, we've just finished episode 6 and I thank you for the tip.

Very enjoyable if you like the genre as we do. Also set uo for a new season, which I look forward to (although they'll need a bunch of new characters )

As to Dacias in France, they're very common, Subarus less so but far from unknown.

Merci.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 10:49 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Ok, we've just finished episode 6 and I thank you for the tip.

Very enjoyable if you like the genre as we do....
Maybe take a look at these, mentioned in the TV thread.

I enjoyed The Frozen Dead (Glace), two seasons of Witnesses (Les témoins), Trapped, La Mante, Midnight Sun, The Lava Field etc and they were all highly enjoyable.

But Spiral (Engrenages) is the real deal.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 6:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

It's just Star Wars, it's not meant to be serious ground breaking film. They're all fairly similar when it comes right down to it. There was good tension between Kylo and Rey, especially when they could telepathically speak to each other. Luke's withdrawal and where he ended up was interesting. As was his projection in the final battle scene. Can't believe you would walk out on it, it certainly wasn't that bad.

No I didn't walk out in the film, I watched the film but I meant I walked out after the film not really caring about the next film.

Hopefully the Solo film will be good. a Boba Fett one would be too.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 1:30 am
Oscar nominated

Seeing as how number two has been out some time, I thought it was about time I saw Paddington.

Triffic movie. Another one of those "they do make them like that anymore" movies.
Old Jan 21st 2018, 1:15 am
Oscar nominated

The Hitman's Bodyguard.
Preposterous of course but not bad, if you're looking for escapism in an Olympus/London Has Fallen sort of way.

Samuel L. good fun as ever.
Old Jan 25th 2018, 3:08 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I have a problem with Will Ferrell. I can't abide him. As funny as that childish so called comedian in a tight suit (not Alexei Sayle) who somehow managed to become popular and whose name escapes me.
Pee-wee Herman.

I enjoyed The Post. I saw All The President's Men a couple of weeks ago, in readiness, and it wasn't difficult seeing Tom Hanks instead of Jason Robards (who also played the 'Nixon' role in the excellent Washington Behind Closed Doors series).

Nice touch at the end to segue into the opening scene from ATPM
Old Jan 26th 2018, 12:48 am
Oscar nominated

Mark Felt: The Man Who Brought Down the White House - 2017
This was a nice companion piece to All The President's Men.

Great scene where Liam Neeson, as Deep Throat, reveals plenty to a journalist without revealing a thing.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 7:27 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone else seen The Circle

Social media to the nth degree, the shape of things to come?

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/the-circle-2017

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 31st 2018 at 7:29 am.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 12:46 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie

Social media to the nth degree, the shape of things to come?

The Circle (2017) Reviews - Metacritic
My wife watched it and said it was ok. I don't like the main actress (Harry Potter girl) so couldn't watch, even though the subject matter interests me. Any good?
Old Jan 31st 2018, 12:52 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Siouxie
It's been on my to watch list for a few weeks.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 2:09 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by BristolUK
It's been on my to watch list for a few weeks.
I guess you haven't got round to watching it yet...
Old Jan 31st 2018, 2:22 pm
Oscar nominated

I guess you haven't got round to watching it yet...
I've been catching up on the current series of Spiral on iPlayer and also decided it was about time I caught up on The Simpsons so I've been binge watching those the last two evenings. Going through from as near as I can identify to when I last saw "new" ones.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.