British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Movies - 2018 Strikes Back (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/movies-2018-strikes-back-907378/)

Shakyuk Jan 15th 2018 6:44 pm

Re: Movies - 2018 Strikes Back

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 12419485)
The Mrs has been watching Black Mirror, albeit with a certain amount of "WTF..?" over the first episode. (Something to do with David Cameron I think...). Since you've mentioned SciFi, it's my duty to plug "The Expanse" again. It's an immersive and clever universe & is highly recommended "real" scifi. (i.e. actual physics rather than magic space mcguffins). Not on Netflix I think so needs seeking out via your preferred streaming provider. Or purchase on itunes etc.

Expanse sounds interesting, I'll keep an eye out for that. I think it has been on UK Netflix, it may still be. I have definitely seen that name before.

Novocastrian Jan 15th 2018 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 12418852)
Is "The Frozen Dead" (aka 'Glace') on UK Netflix?. Murder mystery drama set in the Pyrenees. In english the dubbing can be off putting.

I'll have a look. La Mante was in the original french but with subtitles.

Shakyuk Jan 15th 2018 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 12418852)
Is "The Frozen Dead" (aka 'Glace') on UK Netflix?. Murder mystery drama set in the Pyrenees. In english the dubbing can be off putting.

Yes it is, just checked.

morpeth Jan 15th 2018 8:05 pm

The Mrs has been watching Black Mirror, albeit with a certain amount of "WTF..?" over the first episode. (Something to do with David Cameron I think...). Since you've mentioned SciFi, it's my duty to plug "The Expanse" again. It's an immersive and clever universe & is highly recommended "real" scifi. (i.e. actual physics rather than magic space mcguffins). Not on Netflix I think so needs seeking out via your preferred streaming provider. Or purchase on itunes etc.

I liked the Expanse, well done.

Here is why I like the Black Mirror- many Sci Fi movies seems to seem to have a few recurrent themes that pop up in many. or computer generated special effects that sometimes just aren't done as well as one might like, and plots that you can figure out easily. And detective " who did it" shows I rarely watch.

But Black Mirror has interesting, creative and unique story lines and plots and often one can't in 10 minutes in already know what the ending will be, and extremely thought provoking beyond the escapism of watching such shows, in what technology may bring in the future. I have watched about 8 episodes, plan to watch the rest this month.

beckiwoo Jan 15th 2018 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Shakyuk (Post 12419073)
Star Wars for me was a 4/10.

I walked out of the cinema not really caring about what would happen next, which is the first time this has happened in any Star Wars. Even with the prequels being so terrible, I had intrigue in where the plot would move and hope that the next film would be of better quality.

My main issue with The Last Jedi is that like The Force Awakens, it isn't original at all. The Force Awakens was a rip off of the original Star Wars with a planet destroying weapon.. This film was a rip off of elements from all three of the original films.

I can describe multiple scenes which are rip offs simply by replacing place/people names:

• The battle for Hoth (Empire strikes back)/The battle of Crait (The Last Jedi) - The rebels last base is a hardened position in the side of a cliff. The planet is white (Snow on Hoth, Salt on Crait) which provides a nice cinematic contrast. The base is being assaulted by Imperial AT-ATs who are slowly approaching from a distance. There's trenches at the front of the base with scenes at the start of the fight of rebels running into the trenches. The rebels use fast moving vehicles to attack the AT-ATs, taking heavy loses, but in Hoths case they manage to trip the AT-ATs up. In The Last Jedi - sparkly foxes...;) I'm sure some of the actual shots where exactly the same as Hoth.
  • Luke/Rey need to go find a jedi master called Yoda/Luke, on an isolated planet to seek training. Yoda/Luke initially refuce to train Luke/Rey due to the internal conflict they sense within them and their prior experience of approving/training someone with internal conflict (Yoda - Vader, Luke - Ren). On the isolated planet there is a darkened area (the interior of a tree in Luke's case, the cave in Rey's). Following training of Luke/Rey, Yoda/Luke die near the end of the film. Luke recieves a vision of his friends in danger and cuts his training short. This is actually a trap, leading to his capture. Rey recieves a vision of Ren reaching out to her and cuts her training short. which is actually a trap, leading to her capture. Both Luke/Rey's capture lead to the next scenes...
  • Final scenes - The Emperor/Snoke is in a large open throne room having captured Luke/Rey using the aforementioned vision. Vader/Ren face an internal conflict of wether to strike down The Emperor/Snoke or strike down Luke/Rey. In the end Vader/Ren kill The Emperor/Snoke in a shock change of mind.
Seriously, I can describe premise of scenes by only changing the character/place names!

Snoke, a sith so powerful he can project the images of two very powerful jedi/sith (Rey/Ren) across the galaxy and fool them into thinking they're somehow linked. Yet he doesn't notice Ren turning his own lightsabre right infront of him. Snoke was a massively wasted character.

Some 'little old lady' aliens tut at Rey damaging the house. Rey cuts a rock and it destroys a wheelbarrow pushed by these 'little old lady' aliens. Luke throws the light sabre over his shoulder at the start... The gags were so cheap.

The entire film chasing a ship because it's slightly faster than the Imperial Star Destroyer ships. Come on. Can't they just light speed ahead of them, surround them? Send tie fighters out which won't have the fuel to return... but they can go pick them up? Anything. That whole plot line was so weak.

Super Leah, suddenly using the force to save herself. Despite the actor being dead. That would have been the perfect death for her, dying in battle. But no, she survives? The only reason I can think is that they filmed her scenes for the next film already. I know you shouldn't speak ill of the dead, but she'd had so much botox and face lifts that its like watching the shed skin of a lizard trying to act.

Make it a 2/10.
:lol:

You must have been soooo angry lol

I agree with some of your points. I’ve preciously reviewed The Last Jedi and hate how much Disney have made it corny

beckiwoo Jan 15th 2018 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12419580)

But Black Mirror has interesting, creative and unique story lines and plots and often one can't in 10 minutes in already know what the ending will be, and extremely thought provoking beyond the escapism of watching such shows, in what technology may bring in the future. I have watched about 8 episodes, plan to watch the rest this month.

It’s a good series. Some episodes are better then others.

I personally think the one with the Prime Minister is for shock value and isn’t the strongest episode.

My favourite is ‘White Bear’

morpeth Jan 15th 2018 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by beckiwoo (Post 12419588)
It’s a good series. Some episodes are better then others.

I personally think the one with the Prime Minister is for shock value and isn’t the strongest episode.

My favourite is ‘White Bear’

I agree the one about the PM was one the weaker episodes, I liked White Bear but also Waldo,

Novocastrian Jan 15th 2018 9:02 pm

Thanks PD. It is on UK Netflix. We've just watched the first two episodes (in French, English subtitles).

Int-er-est-ing. But perhaps a whiff of Silence of the Lambs?

Partially discharged Jan 15th 2018 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12419617)
Thanks PD. It is on UK Netflix. We've just watched the first two episodes (in French, English subtitles).

Int-er-est-ing. But perhaps a whiff of Silence of the Lambs?

Ok. Yes, I can see the Silence of the Lambs similarity.

First time I've seen a Subaru in France. You live there at times so you may have seen them. As well, one episode has a Dacia which is a car you don't see very often.

The scenery is nice but at times the dubbing into english seems a bit out of synch and devoid of emotion. If I could understand french fluently I'd watch it that way.

I've watched 5 out of 6 episodes so there is a lot to wrap up still.

DandNHill Jan 15th 2018 9:16 pm

First episode of Black Mirror was ever so strange. Maybe it was a political satire that went right over my head?

Shakyuk Jan 16th 2018 7:16 am

Originally Posted by beckiwoo (Post 12419585)
You must have been soooo angry lol

I agree with some of your points. I’ve preciously reviewed The Last Jedi and hate how much Disney have made it corny

I was more annoyed about this film than a 32 year old should be! :lol:

Originally Posted by DandNHill (Post 12419630)
First episode of Black Mirror was ever so strange. Maybe it was a political satire that went right over my head?

Here is the explanation in all it's oinky glory:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piggate

Siouxie Jan 16th 2018 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Shakyuk (Post 12419073)
Star Wars for me was a 4/10.
Spoiler:

I walked out of the cinema not really caring about what would happen next, which is the first time this has happened in any Star Wars. Even with the prequels being so terrible, I had intrigue in where the plot would move and hope that the next film would be of better quality.

My main issue with The Last Jedi is that like The Force Awakens, it isn't original at all. The Force Awakens was a rip off of the original Star Wars with a planet destroying weapon.. This film was a rip off of elements from all three of the original films.

I can describe multiple scenes which are rip offs simply by replacing place/people names:

• The battle for Hoth (Empire strikes back)/The battle of Crait (The Last Jedi) - The rebels last base is a hardened position in the side of a cliff. The planet is white (Snow on Hoth, Salt on Crait) which provides a nice cinematic contrast. The base is being assaulted by Imperial AT-ATs who are slowly approaching from a distance. There's trenches at the front of the base with scenes at the start of the fight of rebels running into the trenches. The rebels use fast moving vehicles to attack the AT-ATs, taking heavy loses, but in Hoths case they manage to trip the AT-ATs up. In The Last Jedi - sparkly foxes...;) I'm sure some of the actual shots where exactly the same as Hoth.
  • Luke/Rey need to go find a jedi master called Yoda/Luke, on an isolated planet to seek training. Yoda/Luke initially refuce to train Luke/Rey due to the internal conflict they sense within them and their prior experience of approving/training someone with internal conflict (Yoda - Vader, Luke - Ren). On the isolated planet there is a darkened area (the interior of a tree in Luke's case, the cave in Rey's). Following training of Luke/Rey, Yoda/Luke die near the end of the film. Luke recieves a vision of his friends in danger and cuts his training short. This is actually a trap, leading to his capture. Rey recieves a vision of Ren reaching out to her and cuts her training short. which is actually a trap, leading to her capture. Both Luke/Rey's capture lead to the next scenes...
  • Final scenes - The Emperor/Snoke is in a large open throne room having captured Luke/Rey using the aforementioned vision. Vader/Ren face an internal conflict of wether to strike down The Emperor/Snoke or strike down Luke/Rey. In the end Vader/Ren kill The Emperor/Snoke in a shock change of mind.
Seriously, I can describe premise of scenes by only changing the character/place names!

Snoke, a sith so powerful he can project the images of two very powerful jedi/sith (Rey/Ren) across the galaxy and fool them into thinking they're somehow linked. Yet he doesn't notice Ren turning his own lightsabre right infront of him. Snoke was a massively wasted character.

Some 'little old lady' aliens tut at Rey damaging the house. Rey cuts a rock and it destroys a wheelbarrow pushed by these 'little old lady' aliens. Luke throws the light sabre over his shoulder at the start... The gags were so cheap.

The entire film chasing a ship because it's slightly faster than the Imperial Star Destroyer ships. Come on. Can't they just light speed ahead of them, surround them? Send tie fighters out which won't have the fuel to return... but they can go pick them up? Anything. That whole plot line was so weak.

Super Leah, suddenly using the force to save herself. Despite the actor being dead. That would have been the perfect death for her, dying in battle. But no, she survives? The only reason I can think is that they filmed her scenes for the next film already. I know you shouldn't speak ill of the dead, but she'd had so much botox and face lifts that its like watching the shed skin of a lizard trying to act.

Make it a 2/10.

:lol:

As you've revealed much of the storyline there doesn't seem much point in watching it now..

:p

Shakyuk Jan 16th 2018 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12420203)
As you've revealed much of the storyline there doesn't seem much point in watching it now..

:p

Oh damn sorry I should have put spoiler tags on. Arguably the film was spoiled during production so I've saved you time and money...

sharkus Jan 17th 2018 12:30 pm

I read the plot synopsis as for Jedi as soon as I could. I'm slightly odd in that I don't care about written spoilers, as I feel what I read vs what I see can be quite different. I also equate it to reading the book before seeing the film, you already know what is going to happen (well, if they follow the plot as closely as they should / can), but seeing how it's done is different, and you have in your mind how things might look, so it can be interesting to see how others interpret things.
Alternatively, there may be something in the book that you're not sure how it should look and the film will present it and you have an "ah, so *that* is what it really looks like" moment.

Verdant Jan 17th 2018 1:27 pm

I prefer The Last Jedi to The Force Awakens personally as the narrative was far more interesting and entertaining (bar a few clunky jokes) and felt like it stepped out of the shadows of its predecessors, which is why it has split critics. The use of puppetry was also fantastic and a great marriage between new and old technologies. The first movie was lip service to the original while this one is far more original.