Movie Thread: TNG

Old Feb 9th 2017, 10:26 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Movie Thread: TNG

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
No-one I mention it to ever remembers Bangkok Hilton! Was a series though, not a film.
You're right, a three parter. It's had all sorts of things done to it since. Made into a stand alone movie and shorter episodes to make more parts than the original three.

So, as you were old enough did you also see a younger Nicole in the Vietnam series? I've been re-watching lately...albeit I forgot to get back to it.
Old Feb 10th 2017, 12:10 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I just watched "Arrival" - what a strange film.. and it left you hanging somewhat at the end. I enjoyed it (well, I like sci-fi) but felt there was potential for a more satisfying ending..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFMo3UJ4B4g
If you don't like being left hanging at the end, do NOT watch Nocturnal Animals.

I almost threw my remote at the TV when it abruptly ended.
Old Feb 10th 2017, 1:53 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I just watched "Arrival" - what a strange film.. and it left you hanging somewhat at the end. I enjoyed it (well, I like sci-fi) but felt there was potential for a more satisfying ending..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFMo3UJ4B4g
I agree, enjoyable but confusing but I was watching it whilst charting patients on my other screen in the evening- probably not the best idea.
Old Feb 10th 2017, 6:43 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
If you don't like being left hanging at the end, do NOT watch Nocturnal Animals.

I almost threw my remote at the TV when it abruptly ended.
Thanks for the heads up, I hate films that do that
Old Feb 10th 2017, 6:46 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

I have Hacksaw Ridge, Manchester by the Sea and Noc Animals lined up for the weekend.

Shepherds and Butchers was ok, The Accountant was ok, Arrival was sloooooooow

Bleed For This was good, true story , A Monster Calls was alright, Masterminds was appalling ( a poor recommendation from a Canadian colleague )

Last edited by Tangram; Feb 10th 2017 at 6:52 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2017, 8:20 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
I have Hacksaw Ridge, Manchester by the Sea and Noc Animals lined up for the weekend.

Shepherds and Butchers was ok, The Accountant was ok, Arrival was sloooooooow

Bleed For This was good, true story , A Monster Calls was alright, Masterminds was appalling ( a poor recommendation from a Canadian colleague )
This is also worth watching Moonlight (2016) - IMDb

Hard to believe the main actress is a Brit, she was fantastic.
Old Feb 11th 2017, 12:31 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Originally Posted by Danny B
This is also worth watching Moonlight (2016) - IMDb

Hard to believe the main actress is a Brit, she was fantastic.
will give that a go thanks Danny
Old Feb 12th 2017, 6:03 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

I watched Lala land this evening...
I wanted to see what all the hype was about, why it had been nominated for so many awards. I was determined to hate the damn film but nope, I couldn't

It was very good- a reimagination of old musicals with modern day actors, just so different to anything else out there. The score was excellent as was the choreography. I'm not at all sure that Gosling and Stone should win best actor Oscars, they just lucked out being in such a great production but, they to were very good.... Shoot...there goes my male credibility score out the window...
Old Feb 12th 2017, 8:42 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
I watched Lala land this evening...
I wanted to see what all the hype was about, why it had been nominated for so many awards. I was determined to hate the damn film but nope, I couldn't

It was very good- a reimagination of old musicals with modern day actors, just so different to anything else out there. The score was excellent as was the choreography. I'm not at all sure that Gosling and Stone should win best actor Oscars, they just lucked out being in such a great production but, they to were very good.... Shoot...there goes my male credibility score out the window...
Old Feb 12th 2017, 1:10 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Ex Machina. Amazing.
Old Feb 12th 2017, 3:59 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Ex Machina. Amazing.
This is one of those films that I see highly praised everywhere and I just don't understand why.

It's central premise about an enigmatic and amoral AI and how it might behave is good. But the film takes itself far too seriously for the amount of suspension of disbelief required to enjoy it. Still, I could maybe have got past the secret hide out shit if the ending wasn't so eye-rolling bad. Had it just been "AI kills antagonist, leaves protagonist to die in a cell. The End", it would have been an OK film rather than a bad one. But no, they had to add an ending that made no sense at all if you think about it for more than 10 seconds.
Old Feb 12th 2017, 5:05 pm
I need a walk

Old Feb 12th 2017, 5:39 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
This is one of those films that I see highly praised everywhere and I just don't understand why.

It's central premise about an enigmatic and amoral AI and how it might behave is good. But the film takes itself far too seriously for the amount of suspension of disbelief required to enjoy it. Still, I could maybe have got past the secret hide out shit if the ending wasn't so eye-rolling bad. Had it just been "AI kills antagonist, leaves protagonist to die in a cell. The End", it would have been an OK film rather than a bad one. But no, they had to add an ending that made no sense at all if you think about it for more than 10 seconds.
What disbelief had to be suspended? Ok, the whole young tech-tycoon solving AGI by himself in a remote hideout was a bit fanciful, but that's peripheral to the story. It's the blurring of human and AI motivations that was fascinating. Half way into the film I had zero idea on which of the three (tycoon/geek/AI) was orchestrating events.

Not sure what part of the ending did not make sense. If it's the very last scene of the now gorgeous android standing on the city street corner, people-watching...yeah, that's a bit hokey. Not unlike Dekker & Rachel flying off into the sunset in original Blade Runner. But if it's the broader ending of the AI deceiving the geek and leaving him behind, that's entirely plausible.

Maybe my expectations were quite low prior to watching. I'd seen the clips of Ava in the trailers, and thought it looked a bit creepy and fake, but the story really worked for me.
Old Feb 12th 2017, 6:53 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I realize that I'm in the minority here, but...

What disbelief had to be suspended? Ok, the whole young tech-tycoon solving AGI by himself in a remote hideout was a bit fanciful, but that's peripheral to the story.
I thought it was a lazy plot device. I could have accepted it had it been an action packed bond film or something, but in this case I just kept thinking about how ridiculous and unbelievable it was. They may as well have said "the neutrinos are mutating" or something.

It's the blurring of human and AI motivations that was fascinating. Half way into the film I had zero idea on which of the three (tycoon/geek/AI) was orchestrating events.
As I said, I like the idea. Lots of potential for good storytelling here.

Not sure what part of the ending did not make sense. If it's the very last scene of the now gorgeous android standing on the city street corner, people-watching...yeah, that's a bit hokey.
A bit hokey?

But if it's the broader ending of the AI deceiving the geek and leaving him behind, that's entirely plausible.
And it should have ended right there instead of shitting the bed like it did.

I didn't have any expectations when watching as I'd never heard of it. Watched in a flight from the UK a while ago.
Old Feb 12th 2017, 7:11 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I enjoyed Ex Machina but I don't recall thinking too deeply.

As for Blade Runner, I'm constantly amazed at how often that gets mentioned in so many top movie lists.

The only thing I really liked about it was the commercial for a collection of ...was it watch tunes or something? Like all those K-Tel collections.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.