Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Moved: Violent Britain

Moved: Violent Britain

Old Aug 25th 2007, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

Boulder is a name known to allBoulder is a name known to allBoulder is a name known to allBoulder is a name known to allBoulder is a name known to allBoulder is a name known to allBoulder is a name known to allBoulder is a name known to allBoulder is a name known to allBoulder is a name known to allBoulder is a name known to all
Default Re: Moved: Violent Britain

Originally Posted by rlogan
Move as far West as you can. Its all Peace and Love here
We have one cop on duty at any one time in our community of 11,000 and he/she usually spend the night sittng outside the bar making sure people dont drive home.

I want to live where you live!

Even in my town which is a nice area but it is not safe espcially at night. Things are changing and not for the better.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Violent Britain

Originally Posted by dbd33
Much as it pains me to say it, I think the emigrants have a point.
I'm viewing your posts in a different light from now on.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 11:39 pm

Mrs Miggins is an unknown quantity at this point

Steve do you think that a similar thread may have helped mellow dbd out to how we a lot of leaving and who have recently left the UK feel ????

Mrs Miggins x
Old Aug 26th 2007, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

stoobee1 is an unknown quantity at this point

When you have to watch a mother on tv crying over the death of her gunned down 11-year old you have to wonder what exactly the media are thinking. The answer sadly seems they're only after viewing ratings. The result is that people are more and more scared. Not to trivialise the crime, it is terrible but in a lot of ways we'd all be a lot better off without the tv.

The Netherlands where I'm now has seen several recent incidents of people being shot in towns but my impression is the media tries to not spread panic or sensationalise it so much. This is what happens when you have a 24 hour "news" channel.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

Boulder is a name known to allBoulder is a name known to allBoulder is a name known to allBoulder is a name known to allBoulder is a name known to allBoulder is a name known to allBoulder is a name known to allBoulder is a name known to allBoulder is a name known to allBoulder is a name known to allBoulder is a name known to all

I think you make a good point about the media. It really is all doom and gloom. Is it any wonder that people feel pretty down about where they live and the world in general. You hardly ever hear good news.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Violent Britain

Originally Posted by dbd33
Much as it pains me to say it, I think the emigrants have a point. The rate of youth crime in urban Canada and urban England is, I think, about the same but in both countries it's localised. People emigrating from the UK carry equity with them, they sell houses in dodgy areas and have enough to buy into better areas in Canada, they see less crime and it is better for them. The fact that, if they had more money in the UK they could buy the same lack of crime is irrelevant to them, Canada's better because they are relatively better off.
This is one of those moments where I can well relate to what you are saying. I can not be sure the rate of youth crime in urban Canada and urban England is about the same. I can however be sure that the area one lives in is key. All I need do is visit the areas in Montreal where I used to live for a couple of years after I came here. Run down, poor, somewhat squalid, even dangeous back then.

No different really now.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

This topic has been discussed at great length in the OZ forum

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=476339