Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Moved: HIPs is it affecting your property sale

Wikiposts

Moved: HIPs is it affecting your property sale

Old May 13th 2007, 3:11 am
BE Enthusiast

woodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to all
Default Moved: HIPs is it affecting your property sale

I just wondered if HIPs has affected anyone else's property sale. We have just put our house on the market but the agent seems to think that the market is now becoming flooded with properties as people are marketing before the 1 June to avoid HIPs. He told me that they are taking on more properties in the lead up than ever before.

Just wonder if anyone else has had this and what your thoughts might be .

Sandra
Old May 13th 2007, 3:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Robski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud of
Default Re: HIPs is it affecting your property sale

I had a surveyor here on Wednesday (my buyers surveyor that is) and he and i were tlaking about it. He said that is what they were expecting to see, but that it just has not happened and they are suprised it hasn't.

He also had quite strong opinions on the use/purpose of it as it does not need to include a survey anyway.
Old May 13th 2007, 4:09 am
BE Enthusiast

woodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to all
Default Re: HIPs is it affecting your property sale

In my area agents say they have had a mad rush to put properties on at least one a day is going on with each agent roughly about nine in our town and thats a lot of houses.
Old May 13th 2007, 4:49 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moved: HIPs is it affecting your property sale

What's HIPs?
Old May 13th 2007, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
What's HIPs?
http://www.clickhips.co.uk/pages/what.php

Although it's the energy efficiency bit which is the most imortant aspect as far as the seller's concerned.
Old May 13th 2007, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it has affected my sale (i.e. I'm rushing to get it on this month).

The agent I spoke to last week said he'd not noticed any particular increase in listings, mind.
Old May 13th 2007, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Ours went on the market last week. There are a lot of new properties on the market and this could be pre-hips but it is also the rush time of year anyway.

Downside- competition
Upside- more buyers

Gryphea
Old May 13th 2007, 9:54 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gryphea
Upside- more buyers
Wouldn't there be less buyers?

If I understand this HIP thing correctly.

If I were in the market for buying a home I would be waiting until the HIPs became effective. It would cost me nothing and give me more information about a property.

Am I missing something.
Old May 13th 2007, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Wouldn't there be less buyers?

If I understand this HIP thing correctly.

If I were in the market for buying a home I would be waiting until the HIPs became effective. It would cost me nothing and give me more information about a property.

Am I missing something.

Well its just anyone who has sold or is about to sell is also a potential buyer. Very few properties will come onto the market in June due to Hipps. and I suspect due to the influx in pre-June it may cascade into July as well Those that came on before June have until Jan.

Gryphea
Old May 13th 2007, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

We have been on the market for 2 weeks now with out a viewing. The agent says that their are so many properties to choose from that buyers are spoilt for choice. So its harder to sell. Just at a time when we least need it. I want to just sell up and go.
Old May 13th 2007, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: The Vancouver Suburbs... for the next few years anyway!
The TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud of

I think it depends on the area. Most agents I had round on Tuesday said they're paying for it but they're not seeing a mad rush for people to put properties on the market - as long as you sell by Dec 31st you don't need one.

They also said that most buyers don't know anything about them and some of the agents said they wouldn't be surprised if it was all pulled at the last minute!
Old May 13th 2007, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

God I hope so.
I want lots and lots of buyers not sellers.
So that we can sell our house get lots and lots of money and go.

Old May 13th 2007, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

Had another agent round this morning, said they were taking 7-8 instructions a day at the moment compared to a norm of 5-6 so it's up a bit, but nothing spectacular (we're in Bournemouth).

And it'll be balanced out by a lack of property coming onto the market next month as the HIP farce limps into force and stuffs everything up for sellers.

So overall, for May/June, it's liable to even out.
Old May 13th 2007, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

fedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nice

Originally Posted by woodywoodside
I just wondered if HIPs has affected anyone else's property sale. We have just put our house on the market but the agent seems to think that the market is now becoming flooded with properties as people are marketing before the 1 June to avoid HIPs. He told me that they are taking on more properties in the lead up than ever before.

Just wonder if anyone else has had this and what your thoughts might be .

Sandra
funnily enough I used to work in local estate agents so when OH got job offer in November last year tied up I got them round to put on market asap. I got loads of viewings and on first weekend got 3 offers. Went with full asking price and managed to drag the process out (they were in rented) to May 3rd. Now I had the dilemma of selling quickly (priced just under £250,000 to avoid 3% stamp duty) but everyone who looked said it was priced to sell and no other competition on at the time as Christmas. I then saw reports on house prices still racing up and by the time we completed the house would have been worth easily £6-7,000 more. However, I knew this would be the case with HIPs and the fact that most people like to move in Spring and also avoid the HIPs so took the hit. I think I did the right thing as now in rented holiday accommodation and waiting for PPR to come through any week now and then we're off! But its not easy, I've lost more sleep over the blooming British housing market than anything else in life. Its a scary thought coming off that ladder and being "homeless" as such but took the view that a dip in accommodation now is inevitable and just means the dip is in this country and not Canada.
Old May 14th 2007, 2:09 am
frothing loon mk 2

hamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fedupwithwaiting
funnily enough I used to work in local estate agents so when OH got job offer in November last year tied up I got them round to put on market asap. I got loads of viewings and on first weekend got 3 offers. Went with full asking price and managed to drag the process out (they were in rented) to May 3rd. Now I had the dilemma of selling quickly (priced just under £250,000 to avoid 3% stamp duty) but everyone who looked said it was priced to sell and no other competition on at the time as Christmas. I then saw reports on house prices still racing up and by the time we completed the house would have been worth easily £6-7,000 more. However, I knew this would be the case with HIPs and the fact that most people like to move in Spring and also avoid the HIPs so took the hit. I think I did the right thing as now in rented holiday accommodation and waiting for PPR to come through any week now and then we're off! But its not easy, I've lost more sleep over the blooming British housing market than anything else in life. Its a scary thought coming off that ladder and being "homeless" as such but took the view that a dip in accommodation now is inevitable and just means the dip is in this country and not Canada.
we had 3 estate agents to our house and all of them said that they had their own peopleto provide an hips cetificate at a cost of £300 ,so we decided to wait awhileto see how things pan out.as we have not yet had our medicals and we are not sure if we may get the knock back

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.