Mothering Sunday

Old Feb 28th 2023, 11:15 am
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mothering Sunday

Any ideas where I could get a mother's day card to post back to blighty? First time I'm trying to do this.

Ideally East Toronto if its a shop.

cheers!
Old Feb 28th 2023, 11:34 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mothering Sunday

Canada has Mothers Day too, albeit in May.

I have never looked but I wouldn't think it hard to get one, unless they only put them out a week before or something. Of course there are always blank ones.

Have you got crayons to make your own?

Old Feb 28th 2023, 4:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
Any ideas where I could get a mother's day card to post back to blighty? First time I'm trying to do this. Ideally East Toronto if its a shop. cheers!
Thank you for reminding me. ... I am off to shop at moonpig.com - they have loads for Mothers Day, and 14 specifically for Mothering Sunday, if that's what you're looking for. There isn't a page for Mother's Day, but there is a filter on the left hand side.
Originally Posted by BristolUK
Canada has Mothers Day too, albeit in May. I have never looked but I wouldn't think it hard to get one, unless they only put them out a week before ....
The problem in the US, and I assume the same in Canada, which has the same Mother's Day, and of course the same Easter, is that shops have part of their card racks set aside for seasonal cards, that rotate Valentines Day, Easter, Mother's Day, etc, and as Mothering Sunday is necessarily before Easter (it is tied to the church calendar), Mother's Day cards in the US are not put out for sale until after Easter has been and gone.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 28th 2023 at 5:36 pm.
Old Feb 28th 2023, 10:59 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I wish countries would standardize these days. Fathers day in the UK is the same day as Canada but Mothers day here in Canada is two months later. Weird.
Old Feb 28th 2023, 11:05 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
I wish countries would standardize these days. Fathers day in the UK is the same day as Canada but Mothers day here in Canada is two months later. Weird.
Per my post above "Mothering Sunday" is a longstanding religious holiday tied to the Christian calendar, which has nothing to do with "Mothers Day", which I think is an American invention, and other countries latched on to. Maybe the UK will eventually drift to observing Mother's Day on the same day as the US and Canada, like Halloween has become quite a thing in the UK, and even Thanksgiving (US date), but there is no chance of the religious holiday, Mothering Sunday, being moved as is it locked into the rest of the Christian calendar.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 28th 2023 at 11:07 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2023, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Per my post above "Mothering Sunday" is a longstanding religious holiday tied to the Christian calendar, which has nothing to do with "Mothers Day", which I think is an American invention, and other countries latched on to. Maybe the UK will eventually drift to observing Mother's Day on the same day as the US and Canada, like Halloween has become quite a thing in the UK, and even Thanksgiving (US date), but there is no chance of the religious holiday, Mothering Sunday, being moved as is it locked into the rest of the Christian calendar.
True ................ this is the day on which servants were allowed to go home to see their mothers, often with a small gift of food or flowers, if they were able to get there and back in the one day.

It was very much a Religious event.

The US Mother's Day was the result of a campaign by a woman back in the early years of last century.

Father's Day came later after another lady campaign on the basis that fathers needed their own day of recognition.
Old Mar 1st 2023, 3:27 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
True ................ this is the day on which servants were allowed to go home to see their mothers, often with a small gift of food or flowers, if they were able to get there and back in the one day.

It was very much a Religious event.

The US Mother's Day was the result of a campaign by a woman back in the early years of last century.

Father's Day came later after another lady campaign on the basis that fathers needed their own day of recognition.
Yes, Mothering Sunday (UK) has a very different history to Mothers Day (US/Canada/Aus) and the two should never be merged.

Some shops in Aus used to do specific “Mothers Day UK” card selections, but in the last few years I have used sites like Snapfish.co.uk who post direct within the UK, and allow you to design your own card🙂
Old Mar 1st 2023, 8:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Oh what to do as my mother is British but now lives in Canada. Do I say "Oi mum would you be happy enough to celebrate Mothering Sunday in the UK on March 19th and I will pay for the flights or do you want to wait until 14th May and I can send you a card and flowers from within Canada?"
Old Mar 6th 2023, 3:57 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The fourth Sunday in Lent. I remember going to church with my mum when I was little and the children went up to the front and were given posies of primroses to give to their mother's. It was very sweet, one of the few things about church that I liked
Old Apr 2nd 2023, 1:40 am
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

A blank card was procured and posted.

Mum couldn't read it 🤣