Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The most stressful move EVER - well so far...

The most stressful move EVER - well so far...

Old Jun 18th 2012, 3:13 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The most stressful move EVER - well so far...

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Ahh, but we haven't made it to Costco yet. As we have shag carpet - boy what a mistake already, it's only been down since Tuesday. I decided to check online (after my little cheapo vacuum nearly blew up hoovering my new carpet and I only did a sq ft or two) to see what type of cleaner worked well on shag (I wanted a roomba). Preferably I need a canister type where it either has no power brush thingy or one I can turn off, the store is Red Deer do not offer much choice. The 1st three stores we went to today sold ONLY Dyson and one type of Miele - Future Shop, The Bay, Sears carries the Kenmore brand but they all had bags, now I'm thinking I'll just get whatever one that is under $300, bag or no bag.

It's so frustrating shopping in this town, we need stair nosing, off to Home Depot - no we have to order it in. A 1.5 inch plug - sold out, window screens - can find the ones that you make yourselves, do they sell ready made? Who knows after two intercom pages and 20 mins later we gave up waiting for the expert of that section to come, unfortunately its the same for everything you try to buy here

Well I'm going to check out Bissell reviews now as I have seen one that might just be the ticket (I would prefer a Hoover or Electrolux but they are as rare as hens teeth around these parts).
My father in law has shag carpet. His roomba works great on it
Old Jun 18th 2012, 4:26 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Really? Ooh excited now
Old Jun 18th 2012, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

teacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really nice

hey, sorry to hear about your mom.
Just wanted to note, that if you are looking for a vaccum, you should check out electrolux vaccums...my mum always had one and it worked for like 20 years without any issue.
They are probably a bit expensive but are worth it.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

woodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
I had no clue what a roomba was... had to google it and came up with this cute little clip>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep80T...eature=related
Old Jun 18th 2012, 12:29 pm
Here for now

Skimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud of

Piff Poff, so sorry to read about your mum passing away. I think it would be a great idea to have some special place in your new garden where you could sit and remember her.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 12:55 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Sympathy Karma sent.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 12:58 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Oh PP just read this. So sorry bout your mum, however she will be keeping an eye on you from above - so make the memorial garden something special

Can't wait to come see the place sounds beautiful, although do remember that if nothing ever went wrong (re; house move) then it wouldn't be classed as one of the most stressful things we could do in our lives - so rest easy knowing you've got the lions share of the crap out of the way and it'll be plain sailing from here on in xxxxx
Old Jun 18th 2012, 2:07 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teacher1000
hey, sorry to hear about your mom.
Just wanted to note, that if you are looking for a vaccum, you should check out electrolux vaccums...my mum always had one and it worked for like 20 years without any issue.
They are probably a bit expensive but are worth it.
Thanks I would love to check them out but there doesn't seem to be a shop in Red Deer that sells anything much other than Dyson or Dirt Devils - High end and Crap
Old Jun 18th 2012, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by woodworm
I had no clue what a roomba was... had to google it and came up with this cute little clip>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep80T...eature=related
I've seen that cats like them, I just don't know what my crazy dog would think of one!
Old Jun 18th 2012, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by Tangram
Sympathy Karma sent.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by Skimom
Piff Poff, so sorry to read about your mum passing away. I think it would be a great idea to have some special place in your new garden where you could sit and remember her.
My Stepdad has come up with a lovely idea, Mum doesn't want us to waste money on flowers, her favourite color was plummy purple, we are all going to have a amethyst cala lily and he is going to make sure that everyone who attends gets a bulb in that colour to plant.

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Oh PP just read this. So sorry bout your mum, however she will be keeping an eye on you from above - so make the memorial garden something special

Can't wait to come see the place sounds beautiful, although do remember that if nothing ever went wrong (re; house move) then it wouldn't be classed as one of the most stressful things we could do in our lives - so rest easy knowing you've got the lions share of the crap out of the way and it'll be plain sailing from here on in xxxxx
I hope you are right Give us a couple of weeks to find a cup or more importantly a wine glass or two and we'll set something up
Old Jun 18th 2012, 2:46 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Also sorry to hear about your Mum. Even when expected it's hard.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

deltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond repute

Sears Kenmore appliances are a favourite brand and tend to last a long time. Being American I've had them all my life.
I'd buy one of those before any other brand except Miele.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 3:51 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Thanks I would love to check them out but there doesn't seem to be a shop in Red Deer that sells anything much other than Dyson or Dirt Devils - High end and Crap
On top of the Roomba, i'd not have any other main cleaner than a Dyson. They're pretty good for a deep clean once in a while. Not bloody cheap over here though
Old Jun 18th 2012, 5:10 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Our trusty Sears canister jobby finally carked a few months ago. Her indoors went out looking for a replacement. We don't need much because have no carpet.

She came back with a cheapo from Something Tire. "Shark" is an own-brand. Don't even go there! It lasted about a week before the motor packed up.

I should never have let her go looking for the replacement-replacement. She came back with a bleedin' Dyson. Small, violently expensive and can suck a golfball through a hosepipe (two of those terms also apply to the missus; it was three in the early days....).
Old Jun 18th 2012, 6:36 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
Our trusty Sears canister jobby finally carked a few months ago. Her indoors went out looking for a replacement. We don't need much because have no carpet.

She came back with a cheapo from Something Tire. "Shark" is an own-brand. Don't even go there! It lasted about a week before the motor packed up.

I should never have let her go looking for the replacement-replacement. She came back with a bleedin' Dyson. Small, violently expensive and can suck a golfball through a hosepipe (two of those terms also apply to the missus; it was three in the early days....).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.