Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Most expensive in the world: London's fares rise again

Most expensive in the world: London's fares rise again

Old Jan 3rd 2007, 2:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Most expensive in the world: London's fares rise again

Originally Posted by getoutofbritainquick
Wine is expensive in Canada and not so much choice as the UK. Can you import wine into Canada?
It depends on the province. In Ontario there's a grey market (just as there is for cigarettes, eggs, milk, pretty much everything else). I believe the way it works is that you buy a share in a theoretical restaurant which then imports the wine. We don't bother, we just brazenly drive it in by the car load on the assumption that we've saved enough by now to cover the duty on whichever load we get caught with.
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

Due you know I have never heard anyone swear in BC in all of the time I have visited the province but there again I have never been over to the eastern side of Canada. May just have been lucky on past visits. I did see a guy walk a Mink up Robson Street on a lead though.

You couldn't fight on a SE rush hour sardine train - no room. People don't shout at each other either - to busy on their mobiles. Not sure about the spitting, sounds like a Canadian thing?
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 3:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Due you know I have never heard anyone swear in BC in all of the time I have visited the province but there again I have never been over to the eastern side of Canada.
Hmmm. What about all those people on crystal meth? What about all those homeless people? Surely some of them swear.
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 3:03 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Wine is expensive in Canada and not so much choice as the UK. Can you import wine into Canada?
As a private individual alcoholic beverages are on the federal prohibited goods list for say mail order if that was what you had in mind. postal rules

As I recall as a new resident you have some provision to import a collection, but at a certain point you start to pay duty on them, so outside of a personal duty free alowance, the answer is "no, not really"

Domestic wines are not that expensive, and are all right for the non descerning I suppose, but international choice is restricted in Ontario for sure...took me years to even find a Rioja.

Last edited by iaink; Jan 3rd 2007 at 3:06 pm.
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

No, they were always passed out! We have always kept away from the Hastings area of Vancouver, did see quite a few in Kelowna though but they were being arrested!
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

That's a pig. Last time we bought wine in Bellingham which it was far cheaper and had much better choice. Maybe a business opportunity?
The wife drinks at least 2 bottles a night (well nearly all to herself).

We like Rioja as well.

Most people research cost of food etc, ours was wine, choice and cost!
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 3:13 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

That's a pig. Last time we bought wine in Bellingham which it was far cheaper and had much better choice. Maybe a business opportunity?
The wife drinks at least 2 bottles a night (well nearly all to herself).
You would have to check the provincial rules. Wouldnt work in Ontario due to LCBO monopoly.

Two bottles a night! I would be using the licensing rules as an excuse to reduce her consumption for her own good.

Wasnt that long ago in Ontario that you used to have to sign for your liquor at the LCBO...so my boss tells me anyway!

Last edited by iaink; Jan 3rd 2007 at 3:29 pm.
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 3:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

No, they were always passed out! We have always kept away from the Hastings area of Vancouver, did see quite a few in Kelowna though but they were being arrested!
Can't say I know BC, I've only ever heard of Kelowna in this forum, but I suspect you're not comparing like with like. I doubt there's much rowdiness or swearing in Virginia Water.
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 3:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by iaink
Wasnt that long ago in Ontario that you used to have to sign for your liquor at the LCBO...so my boss tells me anyway!
I remember having to write down what I wanted and pay upfront. The note was pushed through a slot and a wrapped package returned.
I also remember being charged for a meal I didn't eat (and which had been purchased multiple times) in order to be able to order a beer
in a pub on a Sunday. It's only mass immigration that's moved Ontario into the twentieth century.
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 7:39 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Vancouver has the Sky train which I thought was very efficient and relatively cheap to use. No graffiti and no vandalism in comparison yo all the new SE Trains were all vandalized and the language of many people is a disgrace especially with children around. Social responsibility appears to have gone out of the window in the UK.
This would be the same Skytrain that I use.....

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2005/...it-051205.html

It's worse than the tube after dark. Imagine the yobs on the Northern Line with guns. At least with all the ethnically based gangs in Vancouver you won't understand the foul language.....
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 9:00 pm

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

They are bringing back trams to Edinburgh they have a Canadian company supplying the trams, You'll all be able to tell me the name of the company, I can't quite remember right now. lol
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 9:02 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Bombardier?
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 9:30 pm

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
Bombardier?
Yes thats the one, dont know if they are definately going to use them

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4759496.stm

looks like this is what they are going to use

http://www.edinburgh-tram.co.uk/index.html

Last edited by or4ngecrush; Jan 3rd 2007 at 9:32 pm. Reason: adding
Old Jan 4th 2007, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future

I travel on the streetcar everyday and have never experienced the kind of behaviour you mention below! Are you sure you live in Toronto?

Originally Posted by dbd33
Every day on the street car I hear someone told to **** off. About once a week I'm treated to a screaming match between passengers phrased in the manner of Derek and Clive. About once a month there's a fist fight amid the packed passengers. Every day I see people spit on the floor, often they spit on each other. I have twice seen people piss in the tram. This is typically between five and six pm. If you want dignity you have to drive.

I can't imagine rush hour in the southeast of England is anything like as bad. It wasn't in 2006.
Old Jan 4th 2007, 11:56 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Interested
I travel on the streetcar everyday and have never experienced the kind of behaviour you mention below! Are you sure you live in Toronto?
Yes. I'm in Toronto. Nothing exciting in the car this morning, just some beggars working the passengers. Lots of people spitting on the sidewalk though, spit is to Toronto as dog shit is to Paris.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.