British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   More terrorism in UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/more-terrorism-uk-897585/)

BristolUK Jun 4th 2017 1:50 am

More terrorism in UK

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...-incident-live

Danny B Jun 4th 2017 2:51 am

Re: More terrorism in UK

3 terrorists shot dead within 8 minutes of the 1st call. Excellent response from the London Met.

http://news.met.police.uk/news/state...attacks-244605

scilly Jun 4th 2017 4:13 am

now 6 dead, plus the 3 terrorists, and about 30 in hospitals around London

bats Jun 4th 2017 4:29 am

Stop it. Just stop, what's the point of this thread? The news is out there for us to read.
Just, enough. Stop.

BristolUK Jun 4th 2017 11:58 am

Originally Posted by bats (Post 12265513)
...what's the point of this thread?...

For my part it was just to let people know if they didn't already.

I consider myself to be fairly aware of things but this happened just after 10.00pm UK time (6.00pm my time) and I didn't see anything until over four hours later despite being on my laptop with the Guardian as my home page.

Although I wasn't watching TV (not on the TV anyway, I was watching House of Cards on Netflix) but others in the house were and nobody saw anything about it.

We on BE are mostly from the UK. I don't see any harm in putting it out there for those who may also not have heard.

sharkus Jun 4th 2017 12:19 pm

First I heard about it was when my girlfriend asked "what's happened in London" at around 9:30 last night. I replied "huh?" and popped off for a quick look as I didn't have a clue.

Shard Jun 4th 2017 1:01 pm

Some horrific eyewitness accounts now being appearing on the news. The police certainly seemed to have done an excellent job in managing the situation and 'neutralising' the problem.

Pulaski Jun 4th 2017 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by bats (Post 12265513)
Stop it. Just stop, what's the point of this thread? The news is out there for us to read.
Just, enough. Stop.

Many threads on BE are arguably pointless. Just ignore them, don't participate in them.

Shard Jun 4th 2017 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12265747)
Many threads on BE are arguably pointless. Just ignore them, don't participate in them.

Yes. For example if there's no thread, where could we post a link such as this:

Shard's interesting link

Pulaski Jun 4th 2017 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12265748)
Yes. For example if there's no thread, where could we post a link such as this: ....

Link broken. :(

magnumpi Jun 4th 2017 1:58 pm

Link ok for me, guy running away still holding his pint

It's time the UK had the Army out on all the bridges patrolling and protecting British citizens from this senseless carnage

Shard Jun 4th 2017 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 12265770)
Link ok for me, guy running away still holding his pint

It's time the UK had the Army out on all the bridges patrolling and protecting British citizens from this senseless carnage

People are certainly going to be a bit more wary on the bridges. On the radio they were talking about whether bollards should be installed.

I don't think the army can do that much, more of an intelligence issue.

scilly Jun 4th 2017 9:08 pm

I liked the picture of the man running with a pint glass in his hand ............ it said he hadn't spilled one drop.

I also liked the story of the policeman who went after the attackers armed only with his baton. He was stabbed, but I understand he will recover.

Why did I like those two??

Because to me, they exemplify the spirit that used to be in Britain, and one that sometimes seems to have been lost!

macadian Jun 4th 2017 9:33 pm

Once the perps are identified, wonder if it will turn out that they were 'on the radar but not considered an imminent threat' by the British security community? How can such individuals be secured? Well, you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs. On the Radar? Internment sounds a possible solution for such individuals. Draconian? Perhaps but public safety should be paramount. The PC gloves must come off....enough is enough. Draft the legislation and let's get on with it. Too many of these bastards have been 'on' the radar but not considered an immenent threat' and have turned out to be exactly that. Won't go down well with many I am sure but something has to change regarding how much tolerance is afforded to such individuals.

Pulaski Jun 4th 2017 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by macadian (Post 12265985)
Once the perps are identified, wonder if it will turn out that they were 'on the radar but not considered an imminent threat' by the British security community? How can such individuals be secured? ....

I have np doubt that will be the case. :rolleyes:

Well, you can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs. On the Radar? Internment sounds a possible solution for such individuals. Draconian? Perhaps but public safety should be paramount. The PC gloves must come off....enough is enough. Draft the legislation and let's get on with it. Too many of these bastards have been 'on' the radar but not considered an immenent threat' and have turned out to be exactly that. Won't go down well with many I am sure but something has to change regarding how much tolerance is afforded to such individuals.
Send them all to Guantanamo Bay. :nod: