Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

moan, I mean a real moan

moan, I mean a real moan

Old Feb 2nd 2017, 10:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moan, I mean a real moan

Discussed this with my wife, the planned proposed steps & timeline

1. Wait till her 97 year old Dad pops his clogs, sooner the better.

2. After the will is settled, we put his house up for sale & immediately make a 2 week visit to the UK, to do a recce to basically look for rental accommodation. This should be within 2-3 months after his death

3. On our return from the UK, FIL house should be sold, we then immediately put ours up for sale.

With both houses sold & before the closing date, we chuck the junk, put larger personal effects into storage

4. Take another 2 week or less trip to the UK, already know where & what we need in accommodations, we sign on the dotted line a 3 - 6 month furnished rental to start approx two weeks before we actually move to the UK

5. Back in Canada, both houses closed (the items we dont need goes to the tip or charity shop - no garage sale), exchange keys, money in the bank - we moved into a local hotel 3 days before closing.

Anything small such as personal stuff will be in 2 x trunks that will go air freight

At this point it should be no longer than 6 months after FIL passed away

6. We arrive in the UK, straight to the rental

7. Life begins, we start to try to adjust, do all the government & banking stuff

8. We spend this time to see 'can we live here'. The first 3 months adjusting, the total 6 months touring to find a place to settle & still possibly another rental covering the total time back in the UK as 12 months.

9 At 12 months we should know if we want to stay in the UK, if not we come back to Canada or ping pong. If its stay in the UK we ship the stuff in storage in Canada to the UK

If its a move back to Canada we move to a rural location outside of the GTA, maybe even another province

10. All of the above is a plan based on two main factors - our health and/or whether my FIL will live to be 110 years old

Last edited by not2old; Feb 3rd 2017 at 12:16 am.
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 12:49 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

And if the dollar stays reasonable enough to be worth enough GBP
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 4:23 pm

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old View Post
well, well, well

Thanks to Mr Trudeau & Ms Wynne, me & the wife have been well & truly F****d even harder than 2016 going into 2017

Last year me & my wife OAS increased by $1/mth, so you can imagine all through the year with all the cost of living increases, especially the utilities, that we ended the year way behind inflation increases & our own out of pocket living expenses.

On January 26, 2017 the new rate for OAS kicked in & not was surpised that there was a big fat $0 increase, because say the government the CPI index did not warrant an increase CPI was '0'.

We just received a property tax bill for the first half of the year & its an increase of 3% over the first half of 2016.

Grocery prices I can deal with for the reason that we can price match, buy from the marked down selves, stock up on stuff, cut back if necessary, live on pots & pots of homemade soups & bread, but I cannot deal with the forever increasing utility & property tax.

Hopefully there are zero capital outlays, repairs or reno expenses expected this year, so its a 'hold our breath on that'.

I shall skip this years visit to the UK in the autumn to see my elderly siblings, unless one of them pops their clogs. No vacations or travel, cutting the same day cross border shopping to once per year.

A flyer in the letterbox today said that comparable properties in our area have increased 22% from December 2015 to December 2016

Maybe just maybe its time to sell up to move to a lower cost affordable place in Canada, or just maybe its time for a move back to the UK, so at least we'd get the 2.5% yearly state pension increase that every senior gets, then spend winters in southern Europe.

No says my wife, not till her 97 year old dad that lives 12 km away from us 'pops his clogs'

I feel for you, prices increasing and income remaining the same.. it must be worrying and difficult. Whilst I can see that your plans would work, in the interim have you applied for (presuming you qualify) for the Senior rebate for property taxes?

Ontario Senior Homeowners' Property Tax Grant

What about 'GAINS' or Trillium?

Ontario Guaranteed Annual Income System
https://www.ontario.ca/trilliumbenefit

Last edited by Siouxie; Feb 3rd 2017 at 4:27 pm.
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 4:32 pm
L/R

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
70 is not that old. Trump is 70 ....
This is important, especially if N2O's fil is 97, as N2O and/or his wife may be looking at another 30+years of financial needs, so I would avoid a reverse mortgage for as long as possible as the funds are likely to run out long before they die.
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 4:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie View Post
I feel for you, prices increasing and income remaining the same.. it must be worrying and difficult. Whilst I can see that your plans would work, in the interim have you applied for (presuming you qualify) for the Senior rebate for property taxes?

Ontario Senior Homeowners' Property Tax Grant

What about 'GAINS' or Trillium?

Ontario Guaranteed Annual Income System
https://www.ontario.ca/trilliumbenefit

we get some Trillium, GST + the one-shot senior $500/yr property tax credit

every little bit helps, but it still doesn't cover the increased cost of living
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 4:40 pm

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old View Post
we get some Trillium, GST + the one-shot senior $500/yr property tax credit

every little bit helps, but it still doesn't cover the increased cost of living
Darn.

Would your Father-in-law consider moving in with you and your wife or vice-versa (if you could stand it)? You could then sell one of the properties and also have additional income from him.

Just a thought.

Old Feb 3rd 2017, 4:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Siouxie View Post
Darn.

Would your Father-in-law consider moving in with you and your wife or vice-versa (if you could stand it)? You could then sell one of the properties and also have additional income from him.

Just a thought.

Hell no, we offered, he has refused & wouldn't want him either. He is one miserable 97 year old ... bless him

We even suggested a retirement home ... he got really upset to that suggestion

So, its twice a day drive over to see him, doing all the necessary stuff as carers (and its our responsibility that we know we have to do lovingly), but its tiring & expensive considering we pay for most of everything other than his utilities & property tax

the rainbow is at the end of the [seemingly long] tunnel