Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Missing, presumed kidnapped

Missing, presumed kidnapped

Old Jul 4th 2014, 11:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Missing, presumed kidnapped

Originally Posted by rae
oh get over yourself and don't be so petty, an Amber alert has been posted, there is a blindingly obvious difference.
Why am I being petty as you put it remember you were the one stating I have no legal reasons to ask for a letter of consent. At the time of posting yes an Amber Alert had been put out but details in the public domain were scant. Had any warrants been issued? and we only received more details this afternoon.
It took several hours for that alert to be issued which makes the point I was trying to make in the original thread. If that child had been abducted from the US they could be entering Canada or in this case any other country without the authorities even knowing so the Amber Alert would be useless. Officials could as I suggested ask for a consent letter but NO you are not in agreement with this policy as you clearly stated. Even when an Amber Alert is issued and one of the criteria is
AMBER Alerts in Action
AMBER Alerts are only issued in Canada when there is reason to believe that:
A child has been abducted;
A child is in grave danger; and
An alert could assist in the safe recovery of a child.

So based on the above criteria why do you have a problem with Border Officials asking for such a letter?
Old Jul 5th 2014, 1:46 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Why am I being petty as you put it remember you were the one stating I have no legal reasons to ask for a letter of consent. At the time of posting yes an Amber Alert had been put out but details in the public domain were scant. Had any warrants been issued? and we only received more details this afternoon.
It took several hours for that alert to be issued which makes the point I was trying to make in the original thread. If that child had been abducted from the US they could be entering Canada or in this case any other country without the authorities even knowing so the Amber Alert would be useless. Officials could as I suggested ask for a consent letter but NO you are not in agreement with this policy as you clearly stated. Even when an Amber Alert is issued and one of the criteria is
AMBER Alerts in Action
AMBER Alerts are only issued in Canada when there is reason to believe that:
A child has been abducted;
A child is in grave danger; and
An alert could assist in the safe recovery of a child.

So based on the above criteria why do you have a problem with Border Officials asking for such a letter?
It is quite pathetic that you are using this incident and this thread to try and justify your position. You really need to take a look at yourself, and if you cannot see the difference in standpoint between the glaring abuse of powers you don't even have and the quite obvious potential threat of abduction then there really is little point in continuing.

Just to make it clear, abundantly and finally. YOU. HAVE. NO. LEGAL. AUTHORITY. TO. DEMAND. A. LETTER.

DONE.

And please don't try and quote Amber Alert policy to me, I am a specialized search manager and have been for a number of years. I issue Amber Alerts.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 2:40 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Why am I being petty as you put it remember you were the one stating I have no legal reasons to ask for a letter of consent.
You actually got me to make a formal complaint to the DFA about it, so watch this space. The CBSA guidance is fatally flawed. A mother asking a father for a letter of consent under UK law could actually create the very situation CBSA is trying to prevent. CBSA is assuming that both parents have custodial rights to a child until proven otherwise which is simply wrong in law. Under British law and no doubt the laws of other EU states, the father has no parental rights unless they're married or other actions are taken.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 2:45 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
None the wiser on this story, has there been any evidence of fatalities at this stage? Some of the comments on here seem a bit speculative?
Well of course it's speculation, but there is an unsolved homicide case in Lake Bonavista where two people of similar age to the missing grandparents in this case were found dead in their house. I wonder if they're connected.

CPS have now issued an appeal for information involving a green F-150.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 2:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
It is quite pathetic that you are using this incident and this thread to try and justify your position. You really need to take a look at yourself, and if you cannot see the difference in standpoint between the glaring abuse of powers you don't even have and the quite obvious potential threat of abduction then there really is little point in continuing.

Just to make it clear, abundantly and finally. YOU. HAVE. NO. LEGAL. AUTHORITY. TO. DEMAND. A. LETTER.

DONE.

And please don't try and quote Amber Alert policy to me, I am a specialized search manager and have been for a number of years. I issue Amber Alerts.
Touched a nerve have I. So why haven't the Federal Court or Supreme Court issued any instructions to our Agency to stop doing this then if in your opinion its a blatant abuse of powers. Without asking questions how could we possibly determine if a child is being abducted or is at risk or in danger.
Who was quoting Amber Alert policy to you I was merely pointing out that an Amber Alert can be issued when no crime has been committed so if no crime has been committed then why issue it to Border Officials?
What I have noticed is that police officers are all too quick to tell CBSA how to do our job yet you never find CBSA officers telling the police officers how to do theirs.
When I receive direction from a court or our own Legal Services to cease asking questions of this nature then I will comply.
In the meantime perhaps you can contact CBSA and have them remove this section of the Our Missing Children section of their website as what they are stating they have no legal authority especially the last bulletin point

Border-proofing your family

The CBSA's officers pay extra attention to children as they enter Canada. Recognizing which children have a valid reason to accompany adult travellers is an essential aspect of the program. This additional attention helps to ensure children's safety.

To avoid delays at Canadian border crossings, travellers should consider this advice:

Adults should carry proper identification for any minors travelling with them, including infants.
The CBSA recommends identification such as a valid passport, NEXUS card or immigration document. For Canadian residents, alternative identification might include a birth certificate.
When travelling in a group of vehicles, the parent or guardian should be in the same vehicle as his or her children when arriving at the border.
Parents who share custody of their children should carry copies of the legal custody documents.
Any adult who is not a parent or guardian should have written permission from the parent or guardian, as well as the child's identification. A letter would also facilitate entry for any one parent travelling with their children. This permission letter should have addresses and telephone numbers of where the parent or guardian can be reached.

Our Missing Children
Old Jul 5th 2014, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

Police have moved a lot of vehicles including search & rescue onto an acreage NE of Airdrie, where a green F150 has been seen regularly recently.
One man in his 40's in custody.

Last edited by neilg14; Jul 6th 2014 at 12:16 am. Reason: added
Old Jul 6th 2014, 9:20 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

^^^

Nathan O'Brien Amber Alert: canine unit called to new search area - Calgary - CBC News
Old Jul 6th 2014, 9:51 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
It is quite pathetic that you are using this incident and this thread to try and justify your position.
It's an amusing pattern. You'll notice every thread FL posts in ends up being about him and his job. It's like Godwin's law for mini Hitlers
Old Jul 14th 2014, 7:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Nathan O'Brien, grandparents were murdered, police say - Calgary - CBC News

They are presumed to have been murdered, and charges are pending.
Old Jul 14th 2014, 7:46 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jul 15th 2014, 6:43 am
BE Enthusiast

leith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond repute

Latest is that the police have now deemed this a triple murder and will soon be charging Garland with two counts of first degree and one count of second degree. No bodies have been found yet but the police, without disclosing any evidence, say they have enough to draw this conclusion and make the arrest and charges. How anyone could do such a thing, especially to that beautiful little boy, is worse than dreadful.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 6:47 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leith
Latest is that the police have now deemed this a triple murder and will soon be charging Garland with two counts of first degree and one count of second degree. No bodies have been found yet but the police, without disclosing any evidence, say they have enough to draw this conclusion and make the arrest and charges. How anyone could do such a thing, especially to that beautiful little boy, is worse than dreadful.
+1

Old Jul 15th 2014, 12:32 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

I heard on the radio yesterday the different counts of murder (2x first degree, 1x second degree) means they basically think that the guy had intent to go do something to the grandparents; the grandson being there was a case of "wrong place, wrong time" and basically was collateral damage... which is just awful.

I cannot imagine being the parents - to lose your son and your parents in one godawful act... it's heartbreaking.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
I heard on the radio yesterday the different counts of murder (2x first degree, 1x second degree) means they basically think that the guy had intent to go do something to the grandparents; the grandson being there was a case of "wrong place, wrong time" and basically was collateral damage... which is just awful.

I cannot imagine being the parents - to lose your son and your parents in one godawful act... it's heartbreaking.

there's more to it than meets the eye if various other sources are to be believed

supposedly the guy being charged was in a business with the grandfather and it went bankrupt at some point. he was also charged with the identity theft of a boy who died in BC years ago

the parents have this guys relations listed as facebook friends and one is listed as a niece or something...

its all a little fishy
Old Jul 15th 2014, 8:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis88
there's more to it than meets the eye if various other sources are to be believed

supposedly the guy being charged was in a business with the grandfather and it went bankrupt at some point. he was also charged with the identity theft of a boy who died in BC years ago

the parents have this guys relations listed as facebook friends and one is listed as a niece or something...

its all a little fishy
CBC reports that the Garland guy's sister is in a common law relationship withe the grandfather's son.

Seems there was a lot of sour blood between Garland and the grandparents over business dealings and a patent dispute.

Hope they find the bodies for the family, has got to be even harder not knowing where their loved one's even are.

Douglas Garland charged with murder of Nathan O'Brien, Kathy and Alvin Liknes - Calgary - CBC News