Mini-dachshunds (BC)

Old Jan 5th 2015, 5:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mini-dachshunds (BC)

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
We brought our daschund with us, a great breed, great personalitys and stubborn to boot.

We are not sure of the adoptions rules but would recommend contacting Thank Dog I Am Out (Thank Dog I Am Out | Dog Rescue - Dog Adoption, Dog Rescue, Animal Shelter) - you can fill out an adoption application online. They also do cross border rescues and will have one in February where they pick up dogs from California and fly them up here/Seattle.

The other one is Dachshund Rescue Team in Abbotsford (Dachshund Rescue Team - Home).
If willing to cross the border there is also a daschund rescue in Spokane, WA. (Dachshund Rescue NW & Dachshund Club of Spokane)

They are all on Facebook too and post photos of the dogs up for adoption.
Thanks for the links. I haven't come across any of those in my searches, google is failing me. I don't know what I am doing wrong when searching, but I have had one heck of a time finding info on google.

I've noticed on some of the rescue sites they want a vet reference, not having a pet in a long time, I haven't needed a vet, and have no relationship with one.

They really make it hard to adopt, it probably ends up hurting them in the end with people going elsewhere.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 5th 2015 at 5:50 am.
Old Jan 5th 2015, 6:01 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

These rescues are smaller ones, not sure if spca asks for a vet reference. My girlfriend has communicated with the owners of two of the rescues and knows of people who have adopted from these rescues and all the feedback is positive.
Old Jan 5th 2015, 6:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
These rescues are smaller ones, not sure if spca asks for a vet reference. My girlfriend has communicated with the owners of two of the rescues and knows of people who have adopted from these rescues and all the feedback is positive.
Sorry, I should have spaced my post better. I saw the vet reference on petfinder for a couple of other rescues, not the ones in the links provided. Sorry if I made it seem otherwise.

I am going to contact a couple of the rescues, and go from there. Not sure what the SPCA requires, the local branch only has cats but they just have you fill out a form, pay the fee and send you off with the cat, not sure how they do dogs. I did search other branches province wide, but so far mostly large breeds and not suitable for an apartment.

We are not in a hurry and will wait for the right match with the right rescue.
Old Jan 5th 2015, 5:43 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

We got our 2nd dog from an ad on Kijiji as the prior owner could no longer keep her. We ummed and ahhed for about 5 years about getting a second and I looked on kijiji every now and then just in case there was one (chow) that we liked the sound of, over the years there had been some but something held us back, then Daisy Pig arrived
Old Jan 6th 2015, 9:11 am
Account Closed

Thank you everyone for your help and all the links. Much appreciated. It's been a long day, drove nearly 1,000km round trip into Southern Washington to a rescue there who contacted me early this morning as they had several dachshunds who had come in pregnant back in November and the pups were ready and invited us to come down.

We were not sure this morning after the call as it was a long trip, but we decided to go and meet the pups and mom.

The mom was the most well behaved dog, very friendly and happy, as were the pups, we spent a few hours there, talked to the rescue people, and went to lunch and went back to see the pups again.

In the end we did choose one, a female, red hair dachshund.
Old Jan 6th 2015, 11:03 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

Brilliant! Well done. Was it fairly straight forward to bring the hound back in to Canada?

Of course, you know, we all now are expecting to see some pictures.

Woof!
Old Jan 6th 2015, 1:45 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Thank you everyone for your help and all the links. Much appreciated. It's been a long day, drove nearly 1,000km round trip into Southern Washington to a rescue there who contacted me early this morning as they had several dachshunds who had come in pregnant back in November and the pups were ready and invited us to come down.

We were not sure this morning after the call as it was a long trip, but we decided to go and meet the pups and mom.

The mom was the most well behaved dog, very friendly and happy, as were the pups, we spent a few hours there, talked to the rescue people, and went to lunch and went back to see the pups again.

Congrats and as shard said we now expect photos
Old Jan 6th 2015, 5:22 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Oooh Congratulations on your puppy
Old Jan 6th 2015, 10:59 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Shard
Brilliant! Well done. Was it fairly straight forward to bring the hound back in to Canada?

Of course, you know, we all now are expecting to see some pictures.

Woof!
Very easy to bring her back. The CBSA officer just asked where we had found out about her, where we got her, how much we paid (there was an adoption fee) and she sent us on our way.

I had checked the CBSA website before going across, and printed out the info just in case there were issue at the border, but it wasn't anymore difficult then a normal border crossing.

Photos will be coming soon.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 6th 2015 at 11:07 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 3:16 am
Account Closed

Charlee is the name we decided on. I'll try and get a better photo, she wasn't too interesting in being photographed tonight and wanted to play.
Attached Thumbnails Mini-dachshunds (BC)-pup.jpg  
Old Jan 7th 2015, 10:25 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Ugly little brute isn't she? Just kidding - awwwwwww.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 12:40 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

What a sweetie!

This may be a good time for "here's my hound" type BE thread, where those of you lucky enough to own one or two post their pictures. Hoping to get a dog again one day, myself.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 1:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
What a sweetie!

This may be a good time for "here's my hound" type BE thread, where those of you lucky enough to own one or two post their pictures. Hoping to get a dog again one day, myself.
Here you go
Attached Thumbnails Mini-dachshunds (BC)-diezel1.jpg   Mini-dachshunds (BC)-swede.jpg  
Old Jan 7th 2015, 1:40 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Here you go
Wow, what big eyes you have! (Amazing actually).
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 10:40 pm
Account Closed

We have had puppy (Charlee) for a month now, and she has turned into a mostly good puppy, 95% good, 5% little terror, but she is teething so I am sure she isn't having fun there, but she doesn't do anything bad, just annoying at times.

She did eat through my GF's apple power cord, I had warned her more then once to keep the cord out of reach....lol... Now she had a useless computer with no power....

Picked up house breaking pretty quick, first week was iffy, now she lets us know 90% of the time when she needs to go, although we try to take her out once per hour. Most accidents are middle of the night, but she now sleeps through until 6 or 7am, and improving by the day.

She has showed no bad traits towards other people or animals, she loves everyone she see's, and just wants to play when she see's another dog or cat, she really wants to play with cats but they always run away.

Still working on separation anxiety she has, but it's getting better, we practice everyday increasing the time we are gone by a few minutes, she screams for the first 2-3 minutes, then seems to settle down, but still flips out during the time we are gone off an on, so she isn't quite there feeling comfortable alone yet, but she does better when music video's are on TV, so may need to get a DVD of music videos, especially likes rap and videos with lots of movement, but they keep her attention well.

She goes to puppy school once a week for the next 6 weeks so should also help.

She has doubled in weight since we got her, just shy of 6 pounds now, she was just shy of 3 when we brought her home.

We had to buy and experiment with a few brands of dog food before we found one she would eat and not let it sit there all day.

She seems to have settled on Merrick dry food, mixed with 1/2 tea spoon of salmon wet food.

Vet gave her a clean bill of health, she gets 3rd and last round of puppy shots next week, and then all that is left is her spay and rabies at the 5 to 6 month mark. Vet says it's best to let her get to nearly adult size before spaying but before the first heat.

We have no desire to breed her.

I'll post a recent photo soon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.