British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Microsoft Privacy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/microsoft-privacy-860494/)

scrubbedexpat091 Jun 27th 2015 2:41 am

Re: Microsoft Privacy

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 11686074)
You can delete old email addresses in the Contacts section of Gmail I believe? I think I have done that before, some time ago.

I think there's a setting for not predicting email addresses too. I haven't noticed a problem with it, at least.

Very well could be now. They change and update things faster then I can keep track of, things I notice today can be months old.....lol

Gozit Jun 28th 2015 3:09 am

Originally Posted by MarkG (Post 11685997)
Whereas my next tablet will probably be an iPad, because I'm sick of every crappy app wanting access to all my stuff with no choice other than to allow it or not install the app. Android permissions are a disaster.

I also hate the way Gmail harvests addresses from every email I've ever sent or received, and lists all those addresses when I start typing, instead of just the ones I've specifically flagged as contacts that I might actually want to respond to.

I don't like android permissions either but as Schnooks said it will change with Android M (hopefully). Apple is better at permissions for right now overall, regardless of the sandboxing. I get a pop up box for each individual permission (notifications, locations etc) and I can turn things on/off for specific apps. Can't say the same for android, its all permissions or nothing.

vanity Jun 28th 2015 7:27 am

Is Hotmail any better than Gmail?

Gozit Jun 28th 2015 9:41 am

Originally Posted by vanity (Post 11687133)

Personal preference. I have one of both. I use Hotmail (now Outlook.com) for my main email and Gmail as a secondary. both have their pros and cons. I find Hotmail has a cleaner interface that is easier to use than Gmail, while Gmail has some nifty features like aliasing, meaning you can use [email protected] as a different email for sites and such, and filter the email based on said alias. But most people don't need that.

If you are on Gmail and like it, great. If you are on Hotmail/Outlook and like it, great. Its a draw IMO :)

SchnookoLoly Jun 28th 2015 10:41 am

Two factor authentication is key if you use your email account for important stuff. Not sure if hotmail/outlook does that. Gmail definitely does.

Gozit Jun 28th 2015 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly (Post 11687237)
Two factor authentication is key if you use your email account for important stuff. Not sure if hotmail/outlook does that. Gmail definitely does.

Yep they do and I use it on both Outlook and Gmail, actually as per your recommendation. :)

Shard Jul 3rd 2015 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by vanity (Post 11687133)

Simple answer, No. It does predate Gmail by about a decade though.

stuabroad Jul 7th 2015 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 11691420)
Simple answer, No. It does predate Gmail by about a decade though.

Gmail does not play nicely with Outlook.

If you want or need the full functionality of Outlook you're way better off using the Outlook connector for Outlook.

Gmail calendaring is absolutely useless on Outlook.

stuabroad Jul 7th 2015 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by MarkG (Post 11685997)
Whereas my next tablet will probably be an iPad, because I'm sick of every crappy app wanting access to all my stuff with no choice other than to allow it or not install the app. Android permissions are a disaster.

I also hate the way Gmail harvests addresses from every email I've ever sent or received, and lists all those addresses when I start typing, instead of just the ones I've specifically flagged as contacts that I might actually want to respond to.

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?pl...ttings/general

Under General tab, change radio button to second option.

Create contacts for auto-complete:

When I send a message to a new person, add them to Other Contacts so that I can auto-complete to them next time

I'll add contacts myself

The autocomplete feature is extremely valuable personally speaking, couldn't live without it.