Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Micheal Jackson's music

Micheal Jackson's music

Old Mar 10th 2019, 8:51 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Micheal Jackson's music

Certainly I am of an age that the whole descant of my years has probably had a Bee Gees, ABBA or a Michael Jackson tune playing in the background. Michael Jackson’s influence was everywhere if you liked or didn’t like him it was irrelevant, the soundtrack followed you through life.

In my youth, nobody ever suspected that Michael Jackson was ‘normal’, he was damned odd from practically the get go...remember Bubbles but then take any notable ‘star’ of yesteryear and politicians too for that matter - quite a big chunk of them were painted sepulchres and skeletons were loaded up to the rafters. They were different times...and that is no excuse, but they were - they were in the past. Jimmy Saville, GG and all these other losers are history.

We surely need to draw a line in the sand - Michael Jackson, Ike Turner et al should be judged for their artistic merit, not their personal irregularities.

Now we have a President of The US who says things about women, black people, Mexicans and anything else that comes to mind, R. Kelly accused of God knows what and a Labour Party that is apparently anti Jewish - all of these matters are happening now, and have happened during a time when information is instant - be it false or not. These things need to be judged using a current yardstick of unacceptability? The people involved knew that the information out there was likely to come out and bite them in the bum, but that doesn’t seem to have affected their, alleged, behaviour.
Old Mar 10th 2019, 10:28 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Given the way people are hounded in and by media these days, sometimes understandably (if not fairly) and sometimes not, I wonder how many of us if, standing in an election, say, would fear something being dug up from their past. Or even present.
Old Mar 11th 2019, 2:42 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I watched part 1 of the documentary. So in total 4 boys have now openly accused Michael Jackson at some point. At this stage it's hard not to conclude that there is likely no smoke without a fire.

I did also read the Guardian article by the director which was quite thought provoking when it addresses the subject that none of us really have an understanding of the profile of a predatory paedophile.

Super disturbing stuff. Not sure I want to watch part 2.
Old Mar 11th 2019, 9:39 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
I watched part 1 of the documentary. So in total 4 boys have now openly accused Michael Jackson at some point. At this stage it's hard not to conclude that there is likely no smoke without a fire.

I did also read the Guardian article by the director which was quite thought provoking when it addresses the subject that none of us really have an understanding of the profile of a predatory paedophile.

Super disturbing stuff. Not sure I want to watch part 2.
​​​​​​
Haven't seen P2 yet, but don't think it can be much worse than P1. Did see part of an Oprah discussion with these three (post screening) and an audience of victims. It is thought provoking as you say, I didn't quite get it before. I also think no smoke without fire.

I think the problem with his music is that it is so hard to separate it from him as a entertainer. There are plenty of musicians where you can focus on the music, and the musician(s) is peripheral, but not so with MJ. He was a bit like Elvis in that way. It's hard to know if turning a blind eye to his 'darkness' is being complicit or not. I suppose the most charitable outlook would be that MJ himself was deeply deeply troubled and flawed.
Old Mar 11th 2019, 4:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Did you read the article?
Yes
Old Mar 11th 2019, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Up until this documentary I never believed Micheal Jackson was a peaodophile, sure he was one strange individual, but I thought it was as simple as him innocently enjoying the company of children as he missed out on his own childhood, and as a result was trying to relive it. However it seems this documentary has caused quite the stir, and although none of it has been proved, it sounds pretty convincing, I cannot personally comment as I have not seen it yet.

If this latest documentary turns out to be true, it will put a lot of people in tough position, as his music is so admired and enjoyed my so many people. Personally I think Micheal Jackson has written and performed some lengendary music that will be around for ever, it would be very sad to have that tarnished by such a sickening act if indeed it is true. As Shard says....the art and the artist should be separate, but as much as I admire his music I would find that a tough thing to do..... I think an act against children is the worst possible crime an individual can commit.

Up until such a time I will still enjoy his music....maybe I would feel different if I saw this documentary though...
Old Mar 11th 2019, 5:47 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Saw a bit of this Leaving Neverland documentary, old MJ doesn't come accross quite so Peter Pan like in this film. Not sure what will happen with his music, such a big part of pop culture and plenty of genuinely good songs.
Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Up until this documentary I never believed Micheal Jackson was a peaodophile, sure he was one strange individual, but I thought it was as simple as him innocently enjoying the company of children as he missed out on his own childhood, and as a result was trying to relive it. However it seems this documentary has caused quite the stir, and although none of it has been proved, it sounds pretty convincing, I cannot personally comment as I have not seen it yet.

If this latest documentary turns out to be true, it will put a lot of people in tough position, as his music is so admired and enjoyed my so many people. Personally I think Micheal Jackson has written and performed some lengendary music that will be around for ever, it would be very sad to have that tarnished by such a sickening act if indeed it is true. As Shard says....the art and the artist should be separate, but as much as I admire his music I would find that a tough thing to do..... I think an act against children is the worst possible crime an individual can commit.

Up until such a time I will still enjoy his music....maybe I would feel different if I saw this documentary though...
The doc is quite long and very graphic. The Oprah interview (on You Tube) is an hour and covers it in quite good depth.
Old Mar 11th 2019, 5:50 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

The doc is quite long and very graphic. .
Good heavens, what does it show?

Old Mar 11th 2019, 7:39 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Good heavens, what does it show?
Yah.

Old Mar 11th 2019, 8:38 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

​​​​​​
Haven't seen P2 yet, but don't think it can be much worse than P1. Did see part of an Oprah discussion with these three (post screening) and an audience of victims. It is thought provoking as you say, I didn't quite get it before. I also think no smoke without fire.

I think the problem with his music is that it is so hard to separate it from him as a entertainer. There are plenty of musicians where you can focus on the music, and the musician(s) is peripheral, but not so with MJ. He was a bit like Elvis in that way. It's hard to know if turning a blind eye to his 'darkness' is being complicit or not. I suppose the most charitable outlook would be that MJ himself was deeply deeply troubled and flawed.
The only real defence is that his childhood was a cluster **** and that he clearly wasn't right in the head. The problem is that it does seem like he was a serial groomer and unfortunately as so often is the case money and influence have provided the cloak he needed.

I do think the parents of the children involved have to take a long look at themselves. It does seem that they saw their child's relationship with Jackson as some kind of opportunity with out really being sensible and checking under the hood more diligently. As the Guardian article righty points out the guy regularly took small children to bed with him.

Anyway.......
Old Mar 12th 2019, 10:13 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

One has to ask if there is a possibility that Michael might have been Catholic (which I am) it would have put all this historical abuse into some sort of order? So much easier to push under the carpet and ignore?
Old Mar 13th 2019, 5:53 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

Originally Posted by MillieF
One has to ask if there is a possibility that Michael might have been Catholic (which I am) it would have put all this historical abuse into some sort of order? So much easier to push under the carpet and ignore?
Not really.

A paedophile is a paedophile. If anything I'd suggest there are a lot more of them tucked away in the celebrity world and upper classes.