British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Micheal Jackson's music (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/micheal-jacksons-music-923028/)

Shard Mar 8th 2019 1:08 pm

Micheal Jackson's music

Saw a bit of this Leaving Neverland documentary, old MJ doesn't come accross quite so Peter Pan like in this film. Not sure what will happen with his music, such a big part of pop culture and plenty of genuinely good songs.

Almost Canadian Mar 8th 2019 1:24 pm

Re: Micheal Jackson's music

Those that like his music will still listen to it; those that don't won't.

Shard Mar 8th 2019 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 12650110)
Those that like his music will still listen to it; those that don't won't.

Not quite that simple. Some will feel uncomfortable listening to his music, despite liking the music.

Almost Canadian Mar 8th 2019 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12650118)
Not quite that simple. Some will feel uncomfortable listening to his music, despite liking the music.

As a result of a documentary?

I appreciate that, in the media these days, an accuser need only accuse in order for the "truth" to be established, but I would like to think that there are people out there that look beyond the message they are being fed and weigh all the evidence.

dbd33 Mar 8th 2019 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12650118)

I still like Ike and Tina's stuff, I still like the work of Billie Holliday, David Bowie, Nico, I wouldn't like the work of Queen if the remaining members cured cancer.

The art stands apart from the artist.

Shard Mar 8th 2019 5:47 pm

The art should stand apart from the artist, but somehow it doesn't for many people.

Well, the documentary is one part of the MJ story, it depends on whether its depiction of MJ as pedophile will stand or not.

This isn't my conjecture, by the way, apparently some radio stations are pulling his content.

I know there's a song by Chris Brown (Forever) that I used to like, but can't enjoy anymore knowing that he was domestic abuser.

dbd33 Mar 8th 2019 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12650268)
The art should stand apart from the artist, but somehow it doesn't for many people.

Well, the documentary is one part of the MJ story, it depends on whether it's depiction of MJ as pedophile will stand or not.

This isn't my conjecture, by the way, apparently some radio stations are pulling his content.

I know there's a song by Chris Brown (Forever) that I used to like, but can't enjoy anymore knowing that he was domestic abuser.

Chris Brown is a different case for me as I only know him as a beater, just as I only know of R. Kelly as a (alleged) rapist. I don't think that would alter my judgement of their material but I'm not likely to be exposed to it.

Almost Canadian Mar 8th 2019 6:55 pm

Well, the documentary is one part of the MJ story, it depends on whether its depiction of MJ as pedophile will stand or not.

People can believe whatever they want to and radio stations can play whatever they wish too.

Pulaski Mar 8th 2019 7:20 pm

I think you make a fair point, and while the degree/ size is significantly different from MJ's catalog and popularity, I suspect that Gary Glitter's airplay dropped off a cliff after his trial. So in my opinion the question becomes the extent to which radio stations will reduce airplay?

JamesM Mar 8th 2019 7:43 pm

I haven't watched leaving Neverland yet.

However I remember several boys accusing Jackson years ago.

In both cases it transpired the boys lied and were set up to it by rich parents determined to get some dosh. In both instances the boys admitted it when they were older.

Michael Jackson was a very odd dude but there's all a bit of a boy who cried wolf thing about allegations now.

I'll watch the documentary this weekend.

Shard Mar 8th 2019 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12650341)

In both cases it transpired the boys lied and were set up to it by rich parents determined to get some dosh. In both instances the boys admitted it when they were older.

Michael Jackson was a very odd dude but there's all a bit of a boy who cried wolf thing about allegations now.

I've only seen part one so far. On one level it sounds credible, and it is really shocking that parents willingly let their young boys stay alone with a grown celebrity. On the other hand, I think the doc would benefit from some more rigorous questioning, someone like Louis Theroux comes to mind. Way too much salacious detail, by the way.

Yes Pulaski, GG has dropped off the end of the earth, and rightly so. He is almost never mentioned, even as a bad hombre. Of course, no comparison to MJ in talent or global audience.

Almost Canadian Mar 8th 2019 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12650341)

In the current case, the boys that are the subject matter in the documentary have stated in Court previously that MJ didn't abuse them but have now stated that that was wrong so, in essence, the exact opposite of what you have stated. We will never know if they were lying then, or are lying now, but none of that really matters in the Court of public opinion.

MJ isn't around to defend himself and it's hard to imagine what he could have done to "prove" his version of events anyway.

People will make of it whatever they want to.

Shard Mar 10th 2019 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 12650257)
As a result of a documentary?

I appreciate that, in the media these days, an accuser need only accuse in order for the "truth" to be established, but I would like to think that there are people out there that look beyond the message they are being fed and weigh all the evidence.

This piece explains some of the motivation behind the documentary and the issues beyond the narrow court room.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...jackson-abuser

Almost Canadian Mar 10th 2019 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12651052)
This piece explains some of the motivation behind the documentary and the issues beyond the narrow court room.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...jackson-abuser

It can, quite easily, be spun both ways. Only those involved know the truth and, until recently, the "narrow court room" was the forum society used to determine the truth, albeit with its imperfections.

Shard Mar 10th 2019 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 12651123)
It can, quite easily, be spun both ways. Only those involved know the truth and, until recently, the "narrow court room" was the forum society used to determine the truth, albeit with its imperfections.

Did you read the article?