Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Mental Health Research Mental Health Hospitalization

Mental Health Research Mental Health Hospitalization

Old Aug 9th 2020, 1:42 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mental Health Research Mental Health Hospitalization

I actually feel very strongly about this thread. I grew up in what was, or could have been seen as, a fortunate family. We never had a family holiday, unlike Jsmth, but we were by no means poor and my grandmother was one of the first women to teach in an English University...but I had a horrid dysfunctional childhood that I wouldn’t wish on anyone...it was quite frankly awful.

I hated being young, and I hated feeling the way I did, but I got myself through it, and I love my life now...but...it isn’t all about me...or any of us, we need to see the bigger picture.

While on the bigger picture though, it would be worth pointing out the bloody obvious “women are from the kitchen”...and men are from somewhere about two feet away from it: JSmth, yes you may suffering from being in a few years of women being vaguely treated decently...but this is a brand new thing.

We have been treated like a sub species, still are in most of the world, and if for this one, probably brief, glitch we are being treated well, I would applaud it.
​​​​​​.
Old Aug 9th 2020, 8:39 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mental Health Research Mental Health Hospitalization

I don't believe society frowns on suicide. I think taking one's own life is considered by the vast majority as incredibly sad and everyone would agree (even if governments don't want to fund it) mental health support needs massive amounts of funding across the world. Obviously in the past it was considered wrong/selfish/evil blah blah blah but no longer.

However I do believe that some people, whilst suffering with their own demons, either believe or imagine that society is looking down on them and expects them to pull their socks up etc. The truth is a million miles away from this belief but the sufferer at their lowest point, will never be able to accept that.

Everyone who doesn't have depression whether clinically measured or simply the black dog choosing to sit on someone's back knows that those suffering should look for help (whether available or not). Some of those suffering know they should look for help (whether available or not). Some of those suffering, for whatever reason, don't know this. They either don't realise how low they are because it's become 'normal' to them, or because they're embarrassed or a myriad of other reasons personal to them. In this respect money makes absolutely no difference. If the sufferer is in the last section they could be living on the streets or in the penthouse, the money or the lack of money, support being available or not, it doesn't matter. The sufferer suffers alone and the only way out is to take their life. To be able to fight that urge/feeling makes a person incredibly strong, whether they realise it or not and that does not mean that the person who can no longer fight that urge is weak because they're most definitely not.