Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Memorable things to do in Alberta or British Columbia

Memorable things to do in Alberta or British Columbia

Old Nov 6th 2006, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Memorable things to do in Alberta or British Columbia

I am soon to celebrate a big birthday and I am hoping to gain more wisdom and maturity. Although the opposite seem to be occurring at the moment. I had a few Senior/blonde moments this weekend, where all the intelligence l have gained over the years left me altogether .

I have decided to make this birthday a memorable one as I dont think I will want celebrate anymore after this. Can anyone think of any other exciting things that can be done in Alberta or BC? Or even nice restaurants. Some new ideas would be appreciated.

My list so far=
See the northern lights
Go camping in the snow
Walk the valley of the ten peaks (Probably to cold for this now though)
Ice climbing
Old Nov 6th 2006, 4:28 pm
Account Closed

yonk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Memorable things to do in Alberta or British Columbia

Originally Posted by smelly
I am soon to celebrate a big birthday and I am hoping to gain more wisdom and maturity. Although the opposite seem to be occurring at the moment. I had a few Senior/blonde moments this weekend, where all the intelligence l have gained over the years left me altogether .

I have decided to make this birthday a memorable one as I dont think I will want celebrate anymore after this. Can anyone think of any other exciting things that can be done in Alberta or BC? Or even nice restaurants. Some new ideas would be appreciated.

My list so far=
See the northern lights
Go camping in the snow
Ice climbing

Hot Springs!

Miette Hot Springs.....except it's closed - see below! Ta, Judy.

Last edited by yonk; Nov 6th 2006 at 5:20 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2006, 5:05 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

The challenge is that November is an in between month, too late for several summer / autumn activities, but too early for for several winter activities. Some places, like Miette Hot Springs that yonk recommended, are closed for the winter.

If you want a superb meal in a "different" location, I recommend the restaurant at PaSu Farm, a sheep farm located about 45 minutes northwest of Calgary.

If you want to dine in another location that is "different," you could consider the Eagle Eye Restaurant, which is situated at the Kicking Horse Ski Resort outside of Golden, British Columbia. I have not been there myself, but have heard that it is a fabulous (if expensive) restaurant. Its claim to fame is that it is the highest restaurant in Canada. Apparently you reach it by way of a gondola (cable car).

Another idea is to drive down to Waterton Lakes National Park in the southwest corner of Alberta (about three hours from Calgary). Most places are shut down for the winter, but two nice properties, Kilmorey Lodge and Crandell Mountain Lodge, remain open year-round. The only restaurant that's open in winter is the one in Kilmorey Lodge, but it is excellent. This is a gorgeous, but quiet, mountain location.

Other options to consider are backcountry lodges such as those that I recommended to Hot Wasabi Peas in post #7 of this thread.

Enjoy.
Old Nov 6th 2006, 5:50 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

What about the bobsleigh run at Calgary Olympic Park???
Old Nov 6th 2006, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flossie and Jim
What about the bobsleigh run at Calgary Olympic Park???

Thats is a great idea I didnt think of that one. I will add that to my list. I have until Feb so lots of planning time.
Old Nov 6th 2006, 6:32 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Thats is a great idea I didnt think of that one. I will add that to my list. I have until Feb so lots of planning time.
Well let me know what its like - I love the odea of having a go on it but not sure how I would fare in reality!!!
Old Nov 6th 2006, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by yonk
Hot Springs!

Miette Hot Springs.....except it's closed - see below! Ta, Judy.
How did you know what Judy was going to say before she said it ?? ...... or am I having a blonde moment again?
Old Nov 6th 2006, 6:48 pm
Account Closed

yonk is an unknown quantity at this point

How did you know what Judy was going to say before she said it ?? ...... or am I having a blonde moment again?
My edit button was still there so I added a bit!
Old Nov 6th 2006, 9:48 pm
Starting over ..

bad.andy is on a distinguished road

My list so far=
See the northern lights
Go camping in the snow
Ice climbing[/QUOTE]

Watch the salmon come up the river to spawn on Vancouver Island, but it will be over soon. It's a bit smelly too.

bad.andy
Old Nov 7th 2006, 1:28 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

How bout a balloon ride??? See the Rockies.....
Old Nov 7th 2006, 1:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Morwenna
How bout a balloon ride??? See the Rockies.....
Now that is a very cool idea, I will have to check that one out.

I wonder if they still do the rides in the winter.

Thanks
Old Nov 7th 2006, 2:13 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Now that is a very cool idea,.......
It's one of my possible plans to celebrate our silver wedding next September!
Old Nov 7th 2006, 2:24 am
Whatacomplete Member

koogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond repute

Try driving a 50 ton semi from revelstoke to banff on compacted snow at 100kph with a bunch of crazy canadian truckers up your chuff shouting over the CB at you to go faster.
Very exciting and you can enjoy both provinces in one go.
P.S. only try it once
Old Nov 7th 2006, 3:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Dog sledding tours in Whistler , helicopter ride to the glaciers or
Rolling Stones concert if Micky's throat has fully recovered.
Cheers, Yoong
Old Nov 8th 2006, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yoong
Dog sledding tours in Whistler , helicopter ride to the glaciers or
Rolling Stones concert if Micky's throat has fully recovered.
Cheers, Yoong

Dog sledding tours sound fantastic!!!

Wouldn't it be a tad cold in a balloon in the winter???? I'm shivering just thinking about it......breathtaking though......(literally)

Linda

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.