Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

measles outbreak Vancouver

measles outbreak Vancouver

Old Feb 20th 2019, 12:45 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: measles outbreak Vancouver

Originally Posted by dbd33
Yes. The root of the anti-vaccination fad is Andrew Wakefield's unjustified attack on the MMR vaccination.
Even 36 years ago I was told by both my Pediatrician and GP (as well as the head of Pediatrics at the University of Hong Kong) NOT to vaccinate my son with the 3 in 1 if there were any history of allergy or asthma in the family. My son had already had his 1st MMR 3 in 1 and suffered a severe reaction to it, which the Pediatrician(s) advised me was directly related to the combination of the vaccines and the fact that my mother had been asthmatic and there were other allergy issues in the family.

After that my son had the vaccinations individually and over a longer period of time, without any further ill effect.
I'm not anti vaccine but personally feel that they should be given in single doses, not combined into mega doses of multiple vaccines.

Old Feb 20th 2019, 1:30 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Even 36 years ago I was told by both my Pediatrician and GP (as well as the head of Pediatrics at the University of Hong Kong) NOT to vaccinate my son with the 3 in 1 if there were any history of allergy or asthma in the family.
It's true that there were isolated concerns pre-Wakefield, his efforts date from 1998. Nonetheless he's certainly the leading promoter of child illnesses today and largely responsible for the current outbreaks of measles. Do you know what your child's doctors were concerned about?
Old Feb 20th 2019, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

All Wakefield's conclusions and advice have been discredited, and he has been struck off the British Register.

Unfortunately, those conclusions are still being spread on the internet by his "adherents".

I'm of the generation that had to have all the childhood diseases, no vaccinations available. I was lucky that I managed to weather all of them without too many problems, and we seemed to escape having a polio epidemic in my home town.

Polio vaccines came in just before I finished high school, and I remember having to go and take a sugar cube with the vaccine on it.

The only other vaccination I've had was smallpox before we left the UK for the US, it was a requirement for entry.

I have no patience with the anti-vaxers and others who do not have their children vaccinated, except where the child has a medical reason not to have them. That's especially true reading the local paper and the story of the family that is in total isolation until next Saturday because they took their almost 1 year old son to Children's Hospital Emergency in Vancouver on one of the days when the infected child was there.

The baby has no resistance to measles, and they are in isolation at home until it is certain that he was not infected.

He has just turned 1 either yesterday or today, and he was booked to have his 12 month vaccinations, including the first MMR in a couple of days.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 3:36 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodworm
I'm sorry if I appear to be ignorant about this subject, but I don't have kids, so havent been following the measles discussion
I remember that I had measles when I was about 9 years old, back in 1973 and I think everyone in our class had it, but nobody made a big fuss about it. I had a temperature and it was itchy...
I am still alive and kicking... I have no damage that I know of
So what's the big fuss about measles these days?
Please enlighten me!
Are you sure it was measles and not chicken pox you had? I had measles in 1968 and I can still remember how ill I was. Apparently I've had chicken pox but if I did I was not sick enough to remember it.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 1:06 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Ugh, Anti-vaxers.
https://www.wkbw.com/news/local-news...r-vaccinations

Why not just put them in another school? As for the mothers comments about being cruel that her kids aren't being educated. Well, it'll be far crueler if they are severely ill, or cause their fellow students to become ill.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 5:27 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
Polio vaccines came in just before I finished high school, and I remember having to go and take a sugar cube with the vaccine.
I had that. I remember thinking something must be wrong as medicine was supposed to taste bad.

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Are you sure it was measles and not chicken pox you had? I had measles in 1968 and I can still remember how ill I was. Apparently I've had chicken pox but if I did I was not sick enough to remember it.
I had German Measles and aside from not being allowed to go to an uncle's wedding I can't remember anything about it.

Old Feb 20th 2019, 5:54 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I had that. I remember thinking something must be wrong as medicine was supposed to taste bad.

I had German Measles and aside from not being allowed to go to an uncle's wedding I can't remember anything about it.
I've had German measles, chicken pox, & mumps. From what I remember, mumps was the worst.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 6:45 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

When I was growing up the health department would put a sign on the door and you would be in isolation in your house - even school books / library books had to be fumigated... for certain diseases. I can still remember being sent to friends houses to 'catch' whatever was going around.

I've had Mumps (twice)
Whooping Cough
Scarlet Fever
Scarletina
Measles
German Measles (Rubella)

Chicken pox (as an adult).
Meningitis (as an adult)

I lived to tell the tale

I've had polio vaccine on a sugar cube, tetanus injections (but still got lockjaw) and smallpox vaccine to go to live in Hong Kong.
I wasn't given the TB vaccine as I apparently have natural immunity from my mother, who had TB before I was born. My sister had the vaccine as they hadn't checked her 'test' and was extremely ill for weeks.

Last edited by Siouxie; Feb 20th 2019 at 6:51 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 7:04 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
But Washington, Oregon and a number other states do not have stringent rules about kids being vaccinated before enrolling in school. …..
Around 3.5% of children in the US are homeschooled and I would bet my bottom dollar that vaxx rates are significantly lower in the "home school community", and I would guess that mandatory vaccination requirements for enrollment in school is one of (a number of) the driving factors behind the rise in homeschooling.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 20th 2019 at 7:07 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 7:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I blame facebook

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/14/1...ories-pressure
Old Feb 25th 2019, 3:13 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

At least this is a step in the right direction....demonetizing anti-vax you tube videos.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-47357252
Old Feb 25th 2019, 3:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

They should just publish the news articles of the 70 dead babies that died in the Philippines this year from measles. Dead babies always get people thinking.
Old Feb 25th 2019, 3:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
They should just publish the news articles of the 70 dead babies that died in the Philippines this year from measles. Dead babies always get people thinking.
I suspect that American anti-vaxers are largely immune to the sight of dead babies in other countries. (Pun intended. )