British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Masks (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/masks-932491/)

printer Jan 14th 2021 4:27 am

Re: Masks

Originally Posted by Gozit (Post 12958555)
That's a fair point about numbers not decreasing. One has to remember alot of this is about optics (see Doug Ford's useless SAH order) rather then actually accomplishing anything. If they wanted to accomplish something "they" (ie the gov't) would either

a. Lift all restrictions and what will be will be
b. Have a 30 day strict lockdown where no one can leave their homes at all - this should have been done in March/Apr 2020 when the public appetite for it would have been stronger.

I'd rather have to wear a mask and still be able to go about my daily business then have a stay at home order that inhibits anything i'd want to do whilst simultaneously not bringing virus numbers down, therefore just being a useless inconvenience.

I was actually quite shocked at the recent days news from UK about supermarkets saying they will start enforcing masks and refusing service. But wait, haven't they had a mandate since summer for ALL indoor retail stores? It would seem by this latest news that many many people were not following the guidance and likewise many stores were not willing or able to enforce it. If this was/is such a huge problem it would seem that they should have started to get strict a long time ago long before the recent massive increase in numbers.
I've never thought that masks are the definitive answer and often wondered why we rate them so much when we see numbers increasing in countries that have mandates, however maybe its the lack of enforcement and people not following the rules that accounts for that. I don't know but i do know that i never see anyone here in BC without a mask while inside premises unless seated for eating/drinking.

Gozit Jan 17th 2021 5:12 pm

Masks are an easy win as you can literally see how they are effective. Put one on, then light a match and try to blow it out. Or just put your hand in front of the mask like you are the big bad wolf trying to blow the house down. Then do it with the mask off.

Double points to the 3 layered ones with a filter that can potentially prevent you from inhaling the virus.

Nothing is a guarantee though. My only caveat is i'd like there to be a point in the future where masks aren't required absolutely everywhere. Though I think there will probably always be "flare ups" where they are required...whether we like it or not there is a possibility we will be stuck with them in some form forever.

bats Jan 18th 2021 8:23 pm

Extra useful in the winter to keep your cheeks warm and to warm the air before you inhale.

Jingsamichty Jan 19th 2021 7:34 am

Originally Posted by printer (Post 12958568)
I was actually quite shocked at the recent days news from UK about supermarkets saying they will start enforcing masks and refusing service. But wait, haven't they had a mandate since summer for ALL indoor retail stores? It would seem by this latest news that many many people were not following the guidance and likewise many stores were not willing or able to enforce it. If this was/is such a huge problem it would seem that they should have started to get strict a long time ago long before the recent massive increase in numbers.
I've never thought that masks are the definitive answer and often wondered why we rate them so much when we see numbers increasing in countries that have mandates, however maybe its the lack of enforcement and people not following the rules that accounts for that. I don't know but i do know that i never see anyone here in BC without a mask while inside premises unless seated for eating/drinking.

I'm in the UK and haven't seen these reports? Basically, all UK supermarkets require masks to be worn, obviously certain people are exempt but in my personal experience they tend to avoid any contact at all. I'd say that mask compliance is pretty much 100% and has been for many months.

printer Jan 19th 2021 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 12960927)
I'm in the UK and haven't seen these reports? Basically, all UK supermarkets require masks to be worn, obviously certain people are exempt but in my personal experience they tend to avoid any contact at all. I'd say that mask compliance is pretty much 100% and has been for many months.

From BBC news 6 days ago

Several supermarkets across the UK have said they will make face coverings compulsory.

Tesco, Asda and Waitrose are the latest chains to say they will deny entry to shoppers who do not wear face masks unless they are exempt.

It follows a similar move by Morrisons, while Sainsbury's says it will also challenge those who flout the rules.

So what protection do masks offer, and what sort can be worn?
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51205344

Jerseygirl Jan 30th 2021 12:15 pm

Now the weather has turned cold I am finding the masks get awfully wet when walking. I have a plastic guard that fits between the mask and my face. It’s not ideal but slightly better than the wet mask against my face.

Gozit Jan 31st 2021 2:43 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12965943)
Now the weather has turned cold I am finding the masks get awfully wet when walking. I have a plastic guard that fits between the mask and my face. It’s not ideal but slightly better than the wet mask against my face.

Yep I was out walking with a friend a while ago and we were all wearing masks, mine was soaked after 25min. Only thing I can think of is to keep extra masks in my pocket and change them. Its not often i'm in an outdoor situation where I need to keep my mask on for very long, I was moreso wearing it for the peace of mind of my friend.

Since then i've gotten to the point in my seasonal/pandemic depression where I just burrow inside and refuse to go out as its too cold, so I haven't had this issue as of late :lol:

I am normally very close to an overseas vacation at this point in the winter :yield:

Jerseygirl Jan 31st 2021 2:54 am

Originally Posted by Gozit (Post 12966231)
Yep I was out walking with a friend a while ago and we were all wearing masks, mine was soaked after 25min. Only thing I can think of is to keep extra masks in my pocket and change them. Its not often i'm in an outdoor situation where I need to keep my mask on for very long, I was moreso wearing it for the peace of mind of my friend.

Since then i've gotten to the point in my seasonal/pandemic depression where I just burrow inside and refuse to go out as its too cold, so I haven't had this issue as of late :lol:

I am normally very close to an overseas vacation at this point in the winter :yield:

Lockdown/Covid is getting to me too...it has been almost 11 months in the GTA. Normally I would have been on a 1 month cruise before Christmas and another right now, plus a few other holidays in the sun in between. Today has been lovely. Started off -10C on the thermometer outside, but the sun was shining and the sky was blue. Soon the temp was up to 20C in the sun. We decided to come downtown and was surprised to see the Harbourfront was busy as it’s been in the summer. People outside, wearing masks, enjoying the sunshine,

It is a little disappointing to hear that friends/family in the UK and US have either got the vaccine or will in the next few weeks, while we have no prospects at all for the coming months. I live in hope and prefer to look on the bright side, instead of the dark side. :fingerscrossed:

Gozit Jan 31st 2021 3:09 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12966235)
Lockdown/Covid is getting to me too...it has been almost 11 months in the GTA. Normally I would have been on a 1 month cruise before Christmas and another right now, plus a few other holidays in the sun in between. Today has been lovely. Started off -10C on the thermometer outside, but the sun was shining and the sky was blue. Soon the temp was up to 20C in the sun. We decided to come downtown and was surprised to see the Harbourfront was busy as it’s been in the summer. People outside, wearing masks, enjoying the sunshine,

It is a little disappointing to hear that friends/family in the UK and US have either got the vaccine or will in the next few weeks, while we have no prospects at all for the coming months. I live in hope and prefer to look on the bright side, instead of the dark side. :fingerscrossed:

Yep it was a nice day here too... actually got to put my sunglasses on :)

For the areas where your friends/fam are in UK/US, are the restrictions starting to lift due to more people getting the vaccine and therefore less cases/mortality?

I could probably have the vaccine in Malta by June or July. With the dismal rollout here it is very tempting for me to go there for a semblance of normal life, but it would be a big undertaking for me at the moment to suddenly "flee the nest" and live on my own. I don't think my grandparents are at an age and health condition that they could handle a 22 year old grandson with an active social and work life living with them.

Jerseygirl Jan 31st 2021 3:21 am

Originally Posted by Gozit (Post 12966244)
Yep it was a nice day here too... actually got to put my sunglasses on :)

For the areas where your friends/fam are in UK/US, are the restrictions starting to lift due to more people getting the vaccine and therefore less cases/mortality?

I could probably have the vaccine in Malta by June or July. With the dismal rollout here it is very tempting for me to go there for a semblance of normal life, but it would be a big undertaking for me at the moment to suddenly "flee the nest" and live on my own. I don't think my grandparents are at an age and health condition that they could handle a 22 year old grandson with an active social and work life living with them.

IMO people in the UK have not taken the restrictions as seriously as we have.

Something to think about: I know you would like to see your grandparents, but what if you were in Malta and received bad news from home? Would you be able to jump on a plane and be with them at a moments notice? I have been in the position where I have not been able to jump on a plane to the UK that day to be with a loved one. Think about what your grandparents would want. I do not believe they would want you to put yourself in that position, or at risk from contracting the virus whilst travelling. Think about what they want vs what you want. ;)

Gozit Jan 31st 2021 3:26 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12966250)
IMO people in the UK have not taken the restrictions as seriously as we have.

Something to think about: I know you would like to see your grandparents, but what if you were in Malta and received bad news from home? Would you be able to jump on a plane and be with them at a moments notice? I have been in the position where I have not been able to jump on a plane to the UK that day to be with a loved one. Think about what your grandparents would want. I do not believe they would want you to put yourself in that position, or at risk from contracting the virus whilst travelling. Think about what they want vs what you want. ;)

It's a conversation i will have to have with them as we know more about my grandfathers condition.... It is just as much for me to see him one last time if the cancer is bad as it would be for their benefit for me to help them around the house and with driving, errands, etc. Currently i am in wait and see mode and very relieved the travel restrictions announced do not include a restriction on leaving the country.

But going down to support them and staying for 4-6 weeks then returning to Canada to quarantine and resume life vs. going down on a one way ticket to ride out the pandemic, get vaccinated and return to a normal life of a 22 year old faster then Ontario, get an apartment and job and stay there for a while are two different scenarios.

The prospect of being unable to return to Canada due to restrictions does scare me a little and has me mulling things over. However the restrictions here are taking a toll on me and the knowledge that I have a passport to a place with fewer restrictions and faster vaccine access, thus a faster return to normal is quite compelling. I just don't know if I can leave my support system behind.

Danny B Feb 10th 2021 6:38 pm

Anyone here into double masking?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/10/healt...ess/index.html

BristolUK Feb 10th 2021 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12970365)

Not yet but recommendations are increasing.

printer Feb 11th 2021 1:02 am

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12970365)

Certainly not, one is bad enough and i'm not talking about a quick trip to Wallymart, more the fact that now it's become a thing for everyday at work. Right now its minus silly here and yet i still work up a sweat whilst inside up and down stairs in and out of the home, worse still when putting glasses on to see close up. I have no idea what it's going to be like come summer and i don't see anything changing in the coming months the way our vaccine roll out is going

BristolUK Feb 11th 2021 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by printer (Post 12970465)
...worse still when putting glasses on to see close up...

Imagine being on the operating table :eek:

And that's if they read the correct leg or other part they're operating on let alone cutting and removing the right bits. :rofl: