British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Masks (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/masks-932491/)

Siouxie May 2nd 2020 4:06 pm

Re: Masks

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 12847017)
It is my opinion after doing lots of research. I don't speak for anyone else on this board.

I don't sneeze at people, I don't spit at them either. What do you believe wearing one is actually preventing?

You often appear to become a little contentious when people have a different opinion to you, do you not think others have undertaken research as well? Just because you think differently it doesn't make you right and them wrong.. (or vice-versa, before you jump all over that).

Sometimes your comments come across as almost deliberately challenging... for the sake of it....... or are you genuinely interested in others opinions?
:sneaky:

Jerseygirl May 2nd 2020 5:03 pm

We have been wearing masks when we are out walking for the last 8 weeks. IMO everyone should wear a mask. It doesn’t harm and the experts say it will help stop the virus spreading. Dramatizations of the spread of the droplets from sneezes and coughs seems to go far beyond the 6ft social distancing.

Yes they do get uncomfortable and glasses do steam up, but it’s a small price to pay to help keep us all safe.

Siouxie May 2nd 2020 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12847395)
We have been wearing masks when we are out walking for the last 8 weeks. IMO everyone should wear a mask. It doesn’t harm and the experts say it will help stop the virus spreading. Dramatizations of the spread of the droplets from sneezes and coughs seems to go far beyond the 6ft social distancing.

Yes they do get uncomfortable and glasses do steam up, but it’s a small price to pay to help keep us all safe.

:goodpost:

Partially discharged May 2nd 2020 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12847370)
You often appear to become a little contentious when people have a different opinion to you, do you not think others have undertaken research as well? Just because you think differently it doesn't make you right and them wrong.. (or vice-versa, before you jump all over that).

Sometimes your comments come across as almost deliberately challenging... for the sake of it....... or are you genuinely interested in others opinions?
:sneaky:

If you're calling out Almost Canadian I think there are other posters (some of whom post a lot) who come across as 'deliberately challenging'. I find in many discussions Almost Canadian comes across as the voice of reason. He may have different opinions on Covid but in general I find he gets to the bottom of most discussions quite quickly and with good insights.

He's not in Alex Jones territory https://www.wired.com/story/google-b...s-coronavirus/ by any stretch with his thoughts on the pandemic.

bats May 2nd 2020 6:25 pm

Put your glasses over the top edge of your mask to stop them steaming up.

Siouxie May 2nd 2020 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 12847412)
If you're calling out Almost Canadian I think there are other posters (some of whom post a lot) who come across as 'deliberately challenging'. I find in many discussions Almost Canadian comes across as the voice of reason. He may have different opinions on Covid but in general I find he gets to the bottom of most discussions quite quickly and with good insights.

He's not in Alex Jones territory https://www.wired.com/story/google-b...s-coronavirus/ by any stretch with his thoughts on the pandemic.

I wasn't calling anyone out.

IrishDigger May 2nd 2020 11:12 pm

You could always make your own,

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...032adc1d70.jpg

dbd33 May 3rd 2020 12:07 am

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12847350)
I guess grocery shopping in a Burka can have its advantages. If you could sew in multiple pockets on the inside then not as many shopping bags required and if that way inclined great for shoplifting. I know me bad.

In the end I went to Loblaws and there was no mask requirement and surprisingly few people. They didn't have any flour so I tried "Freshco". Never been in Freshco before. Apparently it's where men who wear hats shop. I've long known that no one can drive a car, or truck, competently while wearing a hat. What I didn't realise was that hat wearing causes the same degree of dithering and erratic selection of course when packing groceries. I was a long time getting that bag of flour.

I didn't see anyone wearing a mask at either shop, nor at the LCBO where a squabble was in progress over whether one should stand between the lines taped on the pavement or on the lines themselves. This is a hot topic in Ontario, the same argument was raging in the queue at Service Ontario last week.

Piff Poff May 3rd 2020 1:24 am

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12847497)
In the end I went to Loblaws and there was no mask requirement and surprisingly few people. They didn't have any flour so I tried "Freshco". Never been in Freshco before. Apparently it's where men who wear hats shop. I've long known that no one can drive a car, or truck, competently while wearing a hat. What I didn't realise was that hat wearing causes the same degree of dithering and erratic selection of course when packing groceries. I was a long time getting that bag of flour.

I didn't see anyone wearing a mask at either shop, nor at the LCBO where a squabble was in progress over whether one should stand between the lines taped on the pavement or on the lines themselves. This is a hot topic in Ontario, the same argument was raging in the queue at Service Ontario last week.

surely you stand in between the lines, almost like standing in a box?

Piff Poff May 3rd 2020 1:25 am

Thanks for your thoughts everyone. Much appreciated, keep staying safe.

Former Lancastrian May 3rd 2020 1:38 am

Masks are not mandatory where I am however I do have one at home. I needed bread and milk this morning but was prepared to pick up other items just to fill the basket and I don't like using the debit card for purchases under $20 and now feel guilty of handing over a $10 bill. Saw that Walmart was open at 7am for seniors, the disabled, and those with vulnerable health conditions.So I decided to risk it as I believe my age qualifies me at some places but not others. Arrived at 7.30 and about 100 vehicles on the lot. Walked into the store picked up basket and followed the directional arrows. Encountered 3 x student type looking Asian males with a full cart and blocking my path. Definitely not seniors so must have fallen into the categories of disabled or have a vulnerable health condition. Without speaking to them or asking questions I cant say for certain they would fall into the "We don't really give a **** category or something else.
Anyway lots of others in the store who also didn't appear to fit into those categories and treating the directional arrows as a suggestion. In and out within 30 minutes and took the long way home to give the battery in the car a work out as it has been sat for a week without moving.
This is the new normal for most of us.

dbd33 May 3rd 2020 2:28 am

Originally Posted by Piff Poff (Post 12847509)

I do but that's a controversial stance.

JamesM May 3rd 2020 4:04 am

There seems to be a correlation between mass outbreak and where there are underground transit/subway systems.

I haven't warn a mask yet but I think to curb outbreak in future that if people are riding the TTC for example that for now it should be a requirement.

They have enforced social distancing in my building elevators where only 3 people are allowed to ride it at once unless it's a family. Perhaps return the elevators to normal but face masks are required.

Outside of these enclosed environments I don't think masks are necessary- the goal in the longer term is some sort of herd immunity and our focus is really on keeping hospital submissions at a low rate.

MillieF May 3rd 2020 10:58 am

Oh heavens...I've been standing on the line and then shuffling forward to the next one...nobody has said anything...

BristolUK May 3rd 2020 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Piff Poff (Post 12847509)

I've not experienced this, nor seen examples, but if the lines are the necessary distance apart I would expect people to stand on the lines (or just behind like in Darts) and that way everyone would be the required distance apart.

If you stand in between the lines but not exactly halfway you may be too close to the person behind or in front who is also between the lines but not exactly halfway.

At my blood test last month, the waiting area had every third seat taped off. This allowed two people to sit together - which would only be good if they were a couple from the same household. It also meant that people could sit either side of the taped off seat only about three feet apart. :unsure:

This at the hospital. :huh: