British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Masks (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/masks-932491/)

sid nv May 2nd 2020 3:14 am

Re: Masks

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 12847017)
It is my opinion after doing lots of research. I don't speak for anyone else on this board.

I don't sneeze at people, I don't spit at them either. What do you believe wearing one is actually preventing?

I also did some research on this today. Sprinkling seasoning onto BBQ meat always starts me sneezing and I usually add some spit for flavour, so I ran an exercise with mask donned. The mask turned into a snotty wet mess, but I have a feeling that store workers prefer this result to getting sprayed.

scilly May 2nd 2020 3:36 am

It has already been announced that Air Canada will require a) all passengers to have a temperature test before being allowed to board, and b) wear a mask at all times on the plane. I thine Vancouver Airport is already requiring people to wear masks in the terminus.

BC Transit is reported to be looking at how how to board passengers at the front door of buses so they can start charging fares again, and passengers will be required to wear masks.

We haven't bothered with masks so far, but we thought we'd get some. I'm looking at getting a couple of washable ones, plus a box of "disposable" ones. I'm really hoping that we might be able to take a train trip in the fall, as well as at Christmas, and VIA was requiring the same as AC before they shut down ..... temperature test before boarding and a mask onboard.

scrubbedexpat091 May 2nd 2020 4:16 am

Originally Posted by scilly (Post 12847093)
It has already been announced that Air Canada will require a) all passengers to have a temperature test before being allowed to board, and b) wear a mask at all times on the plane. I thine Vancouver Airport is already requiring people to wear masks in the terminus.

BC Transit is reported to be looking at how how to board passengers at the front door of buses so they can start charging fares again, and passengers will be required to wear masks.

We haven't bothered with masks so far, but we thought we'd get some. I'm looking at getting a couple of washable ones, plus a box of "disposable" ones. I'm really hoping that we might be able to take a train trip in the fall, as well as at Christmas, and VIA was requiring the same as AC before they shut down ..... temperature test before boarding and a mask onboard.

It's a federal requirement for masks at airports and planes, not an airline or airport decision.

scilly May 2nd 2020 5:20 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12847102)
It's a federal requirement for masks at airports and planes, not an airline or airport decision.

That is true ......, but the announcement that I saw was from Air Canada itself, which is why I posted it the way that I did. That was on the financial pages of the Sun.

In a similar way, what I said about VIA was the information that I got directly in an email from the company several weeks ago, together with a recent update that this is what would happen when they could re-start their services, whether that be the sleeper trains or the ones in the Corridor.

caretaker May 2nd 2020 7:33 am

Originally Posted by jimf (Post 12847081)
Haven't worn a face mask yet. Seems likely they will become a requirement, although the real purpose does appear to be to address mental/anxiety/control illusion issues.

https://www.businessinsider.com/face...-mental-health

If you have the virus but don't know it yet, or have the virus but are asymptomatic, wearing a mask in public can prevent you from infecting others. The Business Insider article may have been up to date 2 months ago, but we're learning more about the virus and how it's transmitted all the time.

dbd33 May 2nd 2020 11:38 am

I haven't worn a mask and have carried on shopping as usual (except for cheese, cheese is always a problem in Canadian crises). I understand that the supermarkets now require a face covering so today I'll have to dig out the burka.

Former Lancastrian May 2nd 2020 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12847243)
I haven't worn a mask and have carried on shopping as usual (except for cheese, cheese is always a problem in Canadian crises). I understand that the supermarkets now require a face covering so today I'll have to dig out the burka.

Don't you have an old Spurs scarf you could use as a face covering? What type of sandals would you be wearing if wearing the burka?

Nand May 2nd 2020 12:40 pm

I spent a month in a muslim country and I have the whole nine yards. it covers everything including my eyes with little net like material over the eye holes even with an extra veil option that can be flipped over the head to cover the already fully covered face. I bought gloves and socks to match, the sleeves are tight with the wrists so they come well down over the tops of the elbow length gloves all of which are required to be considered fully covered. Its just really hard to avoid tripping (as the length has to cover the feet, as no sandles or bare feet allowed) especially while holding onto very many things because of the ample meters of material used to make the thing. It is not the best garment for unassisted shopping for large volumes of food items and especially difficult being able to see enough to check veg and fruit freshness or stale by dates on things. Still it might be ok for shopping in smaller well lit shops.

I probably will wear it if I ever have to go out though, I couldn't get better coverage and its completely washable. I could add a pair of oversized sun glasses or a baseball type visor cap over the top.

I'm still a complete isolationist atm.

dbd33 May 2nd 2020 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12847263)
Don't you have an old Spurs scarf you could use as a face covering? What type of sandals would you be wearing if wearing the burka?

I do wear a Tottenham scarf in the winter/ I hadn't considered spitting on it. Perhaps there's an Arsenal one here somewhere.

I''s not the season for sandals, it'll be Docs regardless of the rest of the outfit.

dbd33 May 2nd 2020 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by tumbleweedly (Post 12847281)
I spent a month in a muslim country and I have the whole nine yards. it covers everything including my eyes with little net like material over the eye holes even with an extra veil option that can be flipped over the head to cover the already fully covered face. I bought gloves and socks to match, the sleeves are tight with the wrists so they come well down over the tops of the elbow length gloves all of which are required to be considered fully covered. Its just really hard to avoid tripping (as the length has to cover the feet, as no sandles or bare feet allowed) especially while holding onto very many things because of the ample meters of material used to make the thing. It is not the best garment for unassisted shopping for large volumes of food items and especially difficult being able to see enough to check veg and fruit freshness or stale by dates on things. Still it might be ok for shopping in smaller well lit shops.

I probably will wear it if I ever have to go out though, I couldn't get better coverage and its completely washable. I could add a pair of oversized sun glasses or a baseball type visor cap over the top.

I'm still a complete isolationist atm.

As long as you're wearing all of that, why not skip the shopping and butcher a cow?

beckiwoo May 2nd 2020 1:00 pm

I made myself about 6 masks using decent material and a combination of either elastic/ribbon as ties. I prefer the ribbon.

I wear them when I go to supermarket or if I need to go inside any other public place. I do not wear a mask when I’m driving in my car with no one else in there.

If it does become mandatory to wear masks then I’m ok with it. I’m ok with flying with one on as well.

Only downside is wearing a mask outside and sunglasses...sunglasses get steamed up from my breath.

MillieF May 2nd 2020 2:06 pm

I lived in Muslim countries for 20 odd years, and the problem that I have is that I realize that I am very big on non verbal communications. Quite often somebody would stick their head around my office door and ask me where somebody was etc in Arabic, and my immediate response was 'I can't hear you I haven't got my glasses on'. When I put my glasses on I could see them speak and all was well. I had to train a group of young female engineers in workover at one point, and I had a devil of a job with the ones that were fully covered. I fear that I am not going to be able to understand a range of people in masks. I actually find masks quite scary, a bit like clowns...I expect I'm going to have to get over myself...

Former Lancastrian May 2nd 2020 3:10 pm

I guess grocery shopping in a Burka can have its advantages. If you could sew in multiple pockets on the inside then not as many shopping bags required and if that way inclined great for shoplifting. I know me bad.

scrubbedexpat134 May 2nd 2020 3:41 pm

So how do all you glasses wearing people stop your glasses fogging up while wearing a face mask?

Danny B May 2nd 2020 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Cheltonian (Post 12847358)
So how do all you glasses wearing people stop your glasses fogging up while wearing a face mask?

I haven't tried this method for any length of time, but it seems to work when I was practising with wearing a mask.

If you fold a tissue horizontally and put it between your face and the top of your mask—so it sits over the bridge of your nose— the moisture from your breath will be absorbed by the tissue instead of hitting your glasses lenses.