Masks

Old May 3rd 2020, 10:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Masks

Gov. Cuomo of NY made a good point re wearing masks: ‘Wear a face mask as a curtesy to others.’
Old May 4th 2020, 1:30 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I went to Costco this morning, first time since all this Brouhaha erupted...and I had a prescription to pick up. In it's usual way they had it all sorted out...a nice little round circle on the floor with an imprint of two feet...I knew exactly what I had to do...they have dealt with the general public in all our multi faceted hues and they don't leave anything to chance ! I stepped forth with a sense of confidence...
Old May 4th 2020, 11:37 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Further to the standing between the lines or on them, think of the lines in a car park. You park between the lines but if one car is slightly closer to the line on the right and the next car on that side is closer to the left line, they are both between the lines but so close that one driver may not be able to open the door.

Originally Posted by MillieF
..a nice little round circle on the floor with an imprint of two feet......
That was the only trace left of the previous customer who was zapped by the laser for standing in the wrong place.
Old May 4th 2020, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
There seems to be a correlation between mass outbreak and where there are underground transit/subway systems.

I haven't warn a mask yet but I think to curb outbreak in future that if people are riding the TTC for example that for now it should be a requirement.

They have enforced social distancing in my building elevators where only 3 people are allowed to ride it at once unless it's a family. Perhaps return the elevators to normal but face masks are required.

Outside of these enclosed environments I don't think masks are necessary- the goal in the longer term is some sort of herd immunity and our focus is really on keeping hospital submissions at a low rate.
As you say wearing masks in certain situations is probably is probably a sensible approach, alongside taking other precautions. No. 1 of the list of precautions is probably to not eat bats, not sharing glasses Austrian ski resort drinking games style probably in the top 5, surgeon whose face is approx 2 feet from someones open chest perhaps in the top 10, wearing a mask on busy transit maybe no. 20, wearing a mask in Safeway at 8pm when there are about 3 other people in the store about no. 75, wearing a mask in the park no. 135 etc.

Today would be a good day to get out the Darth Vader mask for a trip to Costo, Canadian Tire. Perhaps accessorize with a light sabre to assist in enforcing 6 foot exclusion zone.

Old May 4th 2020, 5:40 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

The reality of our Covid-19 lives is going to be the need to wear masks in certain circumstances - particularly when you can't maintain physical distancing - transit being a prime example. Wearing masks - home made, non-medical - is to prevent the spread not to protect the wearer. You can argue all you like against the effectiveness, the discomfort, your civil liberties (if you so choose) but mask use will be required in many places and societal pressure will cover the rest. No sir, you can't come in my store, unless you wear a mask.

Those of us who are more than averagely cranial endowed - I wear a 3XL crash helmet for example - will need custom home made masks. Mrs AX has started making some masks for us today and the standard fit is way too small for yours truly. I looked like a fatter Plug from the Beano..... :-)
Old May 4th 2020, 6:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Quite frankly I think it is irresponsible not to wear a mask when you are out, unless you are in a remote area.
Old May 4th 2020, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cheltonian
So how do all you glasses wearing people stop your glasses fogging up while wearing a face mask?
Originally Posted by Danny B
I haven't tried this method for any length of time, but it seems to work when I was practising with wearing a mask.

If you fold a tissue horizontally and put it between your face and the top of your mask—so it sits over the bridge of your nose— the moisture from your breath will be absorbed by the tissue instead of hitting your glasses lenses.
Originally Posted by bats
Put your glasses over the top edge of your mask to stop them steaming up.
saw this on Facebook. No idea if it works but

Old May 4th 2020, 6:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134

Thx i will try it right now, will report back.
Old May 4th 2020, 6:48 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Thx i will try it right now, will report back.
When I used to commute to work by motorcycle in the UK, I used this anti-fog spray for the inside of my visor. I'm sure you can buy similar products over here, it worked really well.
Old May 4th 2020, 7:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134

Seems to work, will know more when i go out at 4.00am tomorrow. Worst part was being blind for 20 mins while the specs dried out.
Old May 4th 2020, 9:23 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Seems to work, will know more when i go out at 4.00am tomorrow. Worst part was being blind for 20 mins while the specs dried out.
Did you take them off first?
Old May 4th 2020, 9:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
You often appear to become a little contentious when people have a different opinion to you, do you not think others have undertaken research as well? Just because you think differently it doesn't make you right and them wrong.. (or vice-versa, before you jump all over that).

Sometimes your comments come across as almost deliberately challenging... for the sake of it....... or are you genuinely interested in others opinions?
With the greatest of respect...

I didn't suggest that I was the only one that had undertaken research, I mentioned my research in an attempt to give context to my opinion.

I am happy for others to have opinions that differ from my own and I haven't stated that anyone's position is right or wrong. If people wish to wear masks, I am perfectly happy for them to do so.

I don't believe that asking questions is "deliberately challenging" and I am happy for others to act precisely how they wish.

My simple point remains, there appears to be no science upon which the requirement to have to wear masks is based. Experiments that demonstrate how far droplets can travel fail to take into account that, supposedly, we are sneezing into our elbows or placing something else in the path.

I anticipate that a future "requirement for the societal good" will be everybody having to install an app that shows where they have been just to ensure "...that we can tell who you have come into close contact with so that, if either of your contracts the virus, we can inform the others."

The health system has not been overwhelmed. ICUs in Alberta are at about 5% capacity and the only real hotspot appears to be Quebec but, despite this, their government intends to ease the lockdown. Put simply, there are contradictions everywhere.

I will cease any further posts in case you decide that my posts are "too political" and they have them hived off to a thread all of their own!
Old May 4th 2020, 10:10 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Reasonable primer on mask wearing

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...urself/610336/
Old May 4th 2020, 10:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian

I anticipate that a future "requirement for the societal good" will be everybody having to install an app that shows where they have been just to ensure "...that we can tell who you have come into close contact with so that, if either of your contracts the virus, we can inform the others."
That is too far for me. The virus has brought some civil liberty issues to the fore and while, for example, I admire the effectiveness of the New Zealand government in managing the pandemic I'm uneasy about the level of power that government has. I don't feel the need to walk into the chambers of government waving a weapon but being tracked all the time, no thanks.
Old May 5th 2020, 12:51 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
With the greatest of respect...
Likewise. But I have to say that you don't seem to pay much attention to everything that's in 'the news'
I didn't suggest that I was the only one that had undertaken research, I mentioned my research in an attempt to give context to my opinion.
But you say there is no evidence which is pretty much suggesting research wihich disagrees you can't exist.
My simple point remains, there appears to be no science upon which the requirement to have to wear masks is based.
So when scientists specifically say that the virus can be passed by aerosols which will go through the mask but that the masks are capable of stopping droplets that's what, making it up? You asked why the change. I answered. It's been well covered in the media. In the early days there was a shortage. So as not to deprive frontline workers of the limited supplies, their usefulness as protection was played down while it was also stated the main advantage of the basic ones was to protect other people.
Their usefulness is now not as played down as it was previously. I'm sure you are capable of seeing the obvious.

Experiments that demonstrate how far droplets can travel fail to take into account that, supposedly, we are sneezing into our elbows or placing something else in the path.
And this apparently is just like your other belief that everyone religiously observes the physical distancing thing. What if your hands are full? What if you just don't observe the niceties, like people who gob in the street? Are you completely unaware of people complaining that they get brushed up against or leaned over? Or people who deliberately cough at others? All this has escaped your notice?
You anticipate something that has been in the media for weeks. You missed it again? A trial and further roll out in the UK has already been announced. You know Alberta announced it last week do you? More than 86,000 Albertans downloaded the app in the first few days. Other countries started theirs last week.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.