Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Marmite and PG Tips in the container?

Marmite and PG Tips in the container?

Old Nov 3rd 2009, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

elizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant future
Default Marmite and PG Tips in the container?

PSS International Removals have advised us that we shouldn't put food items in the container. Doesn't everyone pack these sorts of things??
Does anyone have experience of customs problems with fave foods packed in their container?

I don't think I want to emigrate any more if I can't take Marmite...
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 12:24 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Marmite and PG Tips in the container?

Originally Posted by elizabeth_action
PSS International Removals have advised us that we shouldn't put food items in the container. Doesn't everyone pack these sorts of things??
Does anyone have experience of customs problems with fave foods packed in their container?

Pss are covering them selfs by telling you the rules. What you can do is tell them you have some personal things you want to pack your self, they will mark the box accordingly - personal packed by owner.

I had a very large jar of marmite in my suit case on Sunday, when I arrived back from the UK
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 12:46 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

You can buy Marmite and PG Tips here. You may have to pay more but why bother? Why risk getting your container opened and searched?? If you really need to bring them put them in your luggage.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

elizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by fledermaus
You can buy Marmite and PG Tips here. You may have to pay more but why bother? Why risk getting your container opened and searched?? If you really need to bring them put them in your luggage.
We only have 20kg each...
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 1:54 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Marmite is available, even in Alberta and Tetley is also available everywhere around here, PG Tips is expensive in comparison though. Yes you pay more for the marmite and you can only get small jars, but it becomes a treat rather than the norm.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

We only have 20kg each...
Luggage allowance that is, not Marmite!
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Well...I packed two cases of Bachelors processed peas into my container and had no problem....I even mentioned them on the 'goods to follow' list for Canadian Customs.

Alas they are long gone.......one of the few food items I really miss from the UK.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by macadian
Well...I packed two cases of Bachelors processed peas into my container and had no problem....I even mentioned them on the 'goods to follow' list for Canadian Customs.

Alas they are long gone.......one of the few food items I really miss from the UK.
Aha, ok then perhaps I should just declare them.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 4:06 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Aha, ok then perhaps I should just declare them.
I dont think marmite is allowed so dont declare it.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 4:15 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Miss Clinque
If Marmite wasn't allowed how come we can buy it in stores here?
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 4:22 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Miss Clinque
Marmite is allowed, its just that some customs people think there is meat in it and so make a fuss.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Marmite is allowed, its just that some customs people think there is meat in it and so make a fuss.
I LOVE this site! It's just FAB that you can ask a question and a dozen people will come to your rescue. Thanks to all. Keep your thoughts coming.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

joelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to behold

I LOVE this site! It's just FAB that you can ask a question and a dozen people will come to your rescue. Thanks to all. Keep your thoughts coming.
I'd say Go for it! There's tonnes of stuff i wish i'd bought with me but dithered about. Should i, shouldn't i?

I've met people here who packed their own container and she bought EVERYTHING in her kitchen cupboards, just as if she was moving within the UK

You can get stuff here, but you'll pay a fortune for it. If you have any gaps in any boxes, fill 'em with Marmite i say
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 8:46 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

not transported Marmite but for several years heinz tinned sponges were a required entry to my sister's house.
went in the case & never had a problem.

they have found a 'little britain' store since.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 8:50 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joelsa
I'd say Go for it! There's tonnes of stuff i wish i'd bought with me but dithered about. Should i, shouldn't i?

I've met people here who packed their own container and she bought EVERYTHING in her kitchen cupboards, just as if she was moving within the UK

You can get stuff here, but you'll pay a fortune for it. If you have any gaps in any boxes, fill 'em with Marmite i say
Aren't those little polystyrene things much cheaper and considerably less messy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.