Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Man's surname too offensive for NS Car plate ...

Man's surname too offensive for NS Car plate ...

Old Mar 28th 2017, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Man's surname too offensive for NS Car plate ...

Originally Posted by dbd33
Well, I'm asking. What's wrong with using "handicapped"? The woman on crutches certainly has a handicap compared with someone not on crutches (though not obviously one related to the need to pee).
Could not agree more. It seems 'snowflakes rule'....😎
Old Mar 28th 2017, 7:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

If his surname was GRABHIM would we be having this discussion?
Old Mar 28th 2017, 8:59 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
If his surname was GRABHIM would we be having this discussion?
If the President suddenly switched teams I would imagine so.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 9:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
However, in the real world it does. It got enormous publicity that the Prez thought that behaviour was okay.

The Prez thought it okay to ban Muslims from entering the US. The courts in the US said otherwise but there were countless reports of Muslims being wrongly barred from the US.

Just as Brexit was nothing to do with kicking foreigners out of the UK but the reality was that after the Brexit vote there was an increase in attacks and harrassment of foreign people.

You may not want to see a link but you're surely not so blind to see that there is one.
I can't imagine that seeing the licence plate would cause anyone to grab a woman that wouldn't have done so without seeing such a licence plate.

Whether I like the result is irrelevant. Again there was enormous publicity and outrage in the area where it happened. The impression was given that if a woman was drunk she could be taken advantage of without the male having to ascertain she gave consent.
That's what I said above about shitty media. I bet that if anyone bothered to read the transcript of what the Judge actually said, there would be no outrage at all.

Displaying a personalized number plate - something that is often cheeky, rude, humorous - that could be read as Grab Her might be considered somewhat inappropriate in the very same area that the court case happened.
Have you read how long he had that plate for?

Does that make a difference? Most people will say it that way, perhaps without the H.

What if my name was ACISATHIEF and it was pronounced A-C Sateff but everyone said AC is a thief?
I guess it comes down to whether one has to avoid offending everyone.

Imagine one's last name is Weather. Would anyone seriously suggest that it was implying that one should piss at women?
Old Mar 28th 2017, 9:51 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I can't imagine that seeing the licence plate would cause anyone to grab a woman that wouldn't have done so without seeing such a licence plate.
You seriously think it's about cause and effect and not about fostering an attitude? Strewth.
Have you read how long he had that plate for?
Yes. How is that relevant?
Do you use the word retard? People do. Is it acceptable just because they've been using it a long time?

What about when a speed limit is deemed too high and consequently lowered. Is it okay for people to exceed the new limit because they've been doing it for a few years?

If something changes is it not reasonable for people to adapt?
Old Mar 28th 2017, 10:00 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

You seriously think it's about cause and effect and not about fostering an attitude? Strewth.
Someone's surname should be considered as fostering an attitude?

Do you use the word retard? People do. Is it acceptable just because they've been using it a long time?
By that token, should the gentleman change his name? Perhaps Trump's comments shouldn't be extrapolated to the mispronunciation of an innocent man's name.

Nothing's changed for that man, just assumptions made about how his name should be spoken.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 10:06 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
Someone's surname should be considered as fostering an attitude?
No, but driving around in a car that reads Grab Her might make people trivialise the idea of grabbing a woman in times when the US president was found to be talking about grabbing women.

How hard is this to understand?

By that token, should the gentleman change his name?
No, just don't display it on his vehicle. That's not difficult is it?

Nothing's changed for that man, just assumptions made about how his name should be spoken.
Nothing's changed for The Naked Rambler. Is it okay for him to keep wandering around naked?
Old Mar 28th 2017, 10:23 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

No, but driving around in a car that reads Grab Her might make people trivialise the idea of grabbing a woman in times when the US president was found to be talking about grabbing women.
But it's not spelt or displayed as 2 words. You've presented in way to try to prove a point. That's just misrepresentation.

I don't understand why you'd choose to misrepresent it.

AC made the point that he couldn't imagine that seeing the licence plate would cause anyone to grab a woman that wouldn't have done so without seeing such a licence plate.

If society's actions are manipulated by the misspelling or mispronunciation of words, then maybe Scunthorpe needs renaming. People need to take responsibility for their own actions, not blame a misrepresented licence plate.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 10:28 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I said above about shitty media. I bet that if anyone bothered to read the transcript of what the Judge actually said, there would be no outrage
I've read it. He said just because she was drunk didn't mean that she couldn't consent, that alcohol removes inhibitions, that you do things you might not otherwise.

So really that's not consenting is it? You're not in your right mind when your so drunk you can't recall what happened.

If someone was that drunk when they signed a contract would it still be valid? Could you contest a will because the writer was roaring drunk?

It was a crap decision.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 10:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. How is that relevant?

What about when a speed limit is deemed too high and consequently lowered. Is it okay for people to exceed the new limit because they've been doing it for a few years?

It's his name and he appears to have used the plate for years without anyone complaining. Now that someone has, he is no longer allowed to use it. Do you believe that that is proportionate?

Should he be prevented from displaying his name anywhere the public may see it?
Old Mar 28th 2017, 10:52 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

It's his name so if he's pratty enough to want a vanity plate then he should be allowed to use it. Do they allow people called Fuchs to use their name? Can't think of any others but I'm sure there are some.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 10:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bats
I've read it. He said just because she was drunk didn't mean that she couldn't consent, that alcohol removes inhibitions, that you do things you might not otherwise.

So really that's not consenting is it? You're not in your right mind when your so drunk you can't recall what happened.

If someone was that drunk when they signed a contract would it still be valid? Could you contest a will because the writer was roaring drunk?

It was a crap decision.
I suggest you reread it, particularly the part where he said that the prosecution had failed to adduce any evidence as to the lack of consent. IIRC, the accuser couldn't say that she didn't actually consent. Innocent until proven guilty. The burden was on the Crown to show that she didn't consent, not upon him to prove that she did. The Crown was not able to do so.

I completely get that people don't like decisions that go against what they think should have happened but, thankfully the Court of public opinion is not what decides the matter.

It will be interesting to see what happens on appeal.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 11:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing's changed for The Naked Rambler. Is it okay for him to keep wandering around naked?
So should he also remove his name from the phone book as thats on public display as well? Will Canada Post need to stop delivering his mail because a Postie might become offended? What other public records are his name on that if someone saw them then they to could become offended?
If it was 2 distinct words GRAB HER then yes there might be a case but its one word and thats his surname how hard is that to understand?
Old Mar 28th 2017, 11:29 pm
limey party pooper

I suggest you reread it, particularly the part where he said that the prosecution had failed to adduce any evidence as to the lack of consent. IIRC, the accuser couldn't say that she didn't actually consent. Innocent until proven guilty. The burden was on the Crown to show that she didn't consent, not upon him to prove that she did. The Crown was not able to do so.

I completely get that people don't like decisions that go against what they think should have happened but, thankfully the Court of public opinion is not what decides the matter.

It will be interesting to see what happens on appeal.
I almost see what you're saying but if she was drunk enough to pee her pants then sent that drunk enough not to make a decision you might not otherwise?

What about the signing contracts comparison that I made?

The judge clearly wasn't impressed by the taxi driver and his actions.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 12:48 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
So should he also remove his name from the phone book as thats on public display as well? ...
And you really see no difference between driving around with the number plate for all to see and possibly laugh at and having the name tucked away inside a closed telephone book where people will only see it if they are looking up his name to find his number.

Okay...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.