Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Making America Hate Again Ladies?

Making America Hate Again Ladies?

Old Jan 26th 2017, 9:12 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Making America Hate Again Ladies?

Originally Posted by Oink
They're not "soft jobs" but are extensions of childrearing. Professions that were acceptable/non-threatening to a patriarchal society for middle-class women to practice. Also to note, it's interesting that zookeepers are paid a lot more than teachers.
you can add any number of labels, jobs, roles, professions that atribute to the physical or non-physical ability of females to males

Ignore the physical (baby makers vs men that have their genitals outside their bodies) or the fact that men were the hunters, dug ditches, built structures - what counts is everything above the eyes. That is where equality starts, and when society allows male & females to work in the same jobs, side by side with equality & equal pay

Then what goes on behind closed doors at home is another matter.

Apeman vs apewoman, forget it, its the new millennium, anything goes, anything is possible other than male female equality in jobs & pay.

Females are stuck with a label of being child bearers, even though most don't want to have children

No equality ever, and that there will never be a female US president in the next 100 years... just saying

Last edited by not2old; Jan 26th 2017 at 9:18 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 9:17 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Excellent point sir, I always believe a married couple or cohabiting partners are a "team", and this is how i have always explained it to potential significant others from the start. I beleive each of you brings something to the table in a commited relationship, thats what makes it a sucessful relationship. TEAMwork!
every team has a captain or a manager.

I'm guessing that exists in most male/female co-habit relationships?

The final decision on any matter rests with the one or the other
Old Jan 26th 2017, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond repute

They're not "soft jobs" but are extensions of childrearing. Professions that were acceptable/non-threatening to a patriarchal society for middle-class women to practice. Also to note, it's interesting that zookeepers are paid a lot more than teachers.
Not sure where you get that from, Oink. Teachers are paid considerably more than zookeepers in BC. Our lass has been both, so I speak from personal experience.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
simple really isn't it

Going back 100 or so years, girls & women have been labelled (shoved) into less physical jobs than men & its stuck there, right there.

The 20's, through the 50's females have always mostly been in 'soft jobs'. These are jobs that don't require physical strength or that require workers to wear overalls, get their fingers or hands dirty (god forbid a broken nail - picture it)

Whether its as school teacher, nurses, daycaring/babysitting, char lady, domestic, store clerks/shop keepers, admin right down to fast food places... they have been 'labelled' and told (way back when) that the only jobs open to the majority of them would have been the soft jobs.

Society for the most part has expected to see the role play in certain jobs to be occupied by male or female

Thank goodness the war years showed & proved that females can be just as productive as the men, even though they got less pay & never barked about it

I think that from the 70's onwards more & more females are in what was once male dominant controlled jobs, away from the soft jobs into more professional jobs.

Here we are 2017 that the majority of retail jobs & clerical jobs are in the hands of females.

Walmart as an example know females are in the majority of retail jobs because thats the way its always been, so walmart continues down that path.

Are males more agressive when it comes to wage & workplace demands - well, still an equality there eh!

Gas station attendants, car mechanics, other trades was generally seen as a what a male did.

Men dug ditches, drove big trucks, coal miners, trades and were up till the 70's male dominated law enforcement, firefighters, airline pilots, and whatever else could only be done or justified roles that males do.

Equality & hand off of ALL male roles to females is not here yet.

Sure there are many females in the healthcare professions, as administrators, engineers, scientists, astronauts, accountants, lawyers, managers, executives. Still its not equal in terms of numbers or pay scale

Back to Walmart... its a female role by the fact its always been that way & probably society is expecting it to be just that & because the folks at the top running it are males, that will continue to pay these jobs at minimum wage
It seems to me though you are ignoring many of the reason why the cashiers are generally women at Wal Mart at least in the local Wal Mart I know- practical reasons that have nothing to do with discrimination but just realistic reasons such as I cited.

Change takes time and takes time to gain experience. If more women are getting new MBA's than men, certainly over time one would expect more women managers, executives etc. If a woman takes time out of her career to raise children, certainly losing five or ten years experience will effect their wages, or if a woman chooses to have children early and stay at home full or part time, that can have an effect on wages too.

There will always be gender differences and different perceptions, but it does seem the trends are for women who wish to put their career first and are getting the education to do that, that over time any wage difference of "like to like" situations will narrow. Just the nature of capitalism, business will pay for results though it takes time to get over older social attitudes.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 9:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of female zookeepers out there though.

San Diego currently has an opening for keeper, pay range is union and Hourly wage: $21.24 - $23.06.

So 40,780/yr to start assuming 40 hour week. (pre-tax)

San Diego Unified is in the middle of the pack with starting salaries of $42,209 for teachers who likely get better time off, healthcare and retirement.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 26th 2017 at 9:38 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 9:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Lots of female zookeepers out there though.

San Diego currently has an opening for keeper, pay range is union and Hourly wage: $21.24 - $23.06.

So 40,780/yr to start assuming 40 hour week. (pre-tax)

San Diego Unified is in the middle of the pack with starting salaries of $42,209 for teachers who likely get better time off, healthcare and retirement.
Besides more time off, health care, and retirement, teachers also get the benefit of secure jobs when working for the state and it is difficult for them to lose their job or be judged too harshly for lack of performance.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 11:06 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawkmoon77
Not sure where you get that from, Oink. Teachers are paid considerably more than zookeepers in BC. Our lass has been both, so I speak from personal experience.
Sorry, I meant zoologists. You'll have to forgive me, there's been a bit of an air of uncertainty at work over the last couple of months.
Old Jan 27th 2017, 12:51 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
No, I'm not trolling, nor being smart ass.

No I'm not talking solely about bullying, that as we know can happen to anyone whatever age or gender.

I think most would describe me as a strong character but here a a few examples of sexism I've come across.

Male doctors used to award points based on how many vertebral spinous processes they could count through our scrubs as we were bending and stretching using the equipment in the OR
One doctor used to stroke my hair and got very snippy when I told him not to.
Another wasn't pleased when I pushed him off as he stroked my neck.
I was doing a CT at the time.
I've seen it happen to young women recently so I don't see a great deal of difference over the decades.
Male radiographers with less experience promoted above female.
Assumptions that men know more about computer related technology so women aren't trained in them, so of course women end up knowing less about computer related technology.

Equality? Yep physically we are expected to do the same work, lift a stretcher with a 300lb patient, small concession you might get the foot end but I think that was because I'm old.
I've never trusted male doctors, they all have that certain look about them- lecherous lotharios, the lot of them
Old Jan 27th 2017, 12:57 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
I've never trusted male doctors, they all have that certain look about them- lecherous lotharios, the lot of them
Damnit. I'd just come back to delete that post too.
Consider it deleted under the can't be arsed rule.
Old Jan 27th 2017, 1:15 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Is this who you had in mind?

Old Jan 27th 2017, 1:21 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old

Females are stuck with a label of being child bearers, even though most don't want to have children

)
Really? Where'd you get that from? Most women don't want to have children?
Old Jan 27th 2017, 1:23 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Helloooooooo. Well who could resist that gorgeous young filly?
Old Jan 27th 2017, 3:02 am
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Really? Where'd you get that from? Most women don't want to have children?
A Record Percentage Of Women Don't Have Kids. Here's Why That Makes Sense. | The Huffington Post
Old Jan 27th 2017, 3:11 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

To be "most" the % would need to be above 50. The age grouping of 15-44 is creating a bias given that women tend to give birth at later age than in decades past - as the article acknowledges. Even the 25-49 bracket is below 50, and this is just describes women who have kids, not those who want kids.

So it's Dorothy 1, N20 0, I'm afraid.
Old Jan 27th 2017, 4:19 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

A record number does not a majority make, I'm sorry to tell you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.