British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Making America Hate Again Ladies? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/making-america-hate-again-ladies-890477/)

Paul_Shepherd Jan 23rd 2017 4:24 pm

Re: Making America Hate Again Ladies?

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 12158349)
It's all very WTF

Do women think he is a serial rapist or something? Sounds a lot like mountains and mole hills to me, and my wife thinks the same BTW. As do several other females I know, but that's not that many lol.

I have to agree...it all seemed a huge waste of energy to me, why bother they cant change anything, hes been elected, hes president for 4 years, so give it up and suck it up. Most females I know were of a similar opinion too.

Souvy Jan 23rd 2017 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by chawkins99 (Post 12159008)
If only men voted, Trump would have won by a landslide.

If only blacks voted, Clinton would have won by a landslide.

There are a million 'what-ifs' but they are all irrelevant.

Everyone keeps harping on about Clinton winning the popular vote but that is also irrelevant because the president is not elected by the popular vote.

IF the election were by popular vote, we would have had a vastly different campaign and election. Campaigning was almost exclusively in the swing states. Very little campaigning was done in the solid states because it would make no difference to the Electoral College votes. In those solid states, millions of voters simply didn't vote because their vote would make no difference.

In the swing states, there was a small (but very significant) swing to Republican. Which won Trump the election.

Nobody can say, with any certainty, what the result would have been in a 'popular vote' election.

Not much different to what happens in the UK or Canada, then.

Shard Jan 23rd 2017 5:22 pm

Can someone explain the purpose/benefit of the electoral college system?

dbd33 Jan 23rd 2017 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12159376)

To avoid the tyranny of the majority:

The Reason for the Electoral College

also something about compensating for disparate State populations.

Gozit Jan 23rd 2017 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd (Post 12159301)
I have to agree...it all seemed a huge waste of energy to me, why bother they cant change anything, hes been elected, hes president for 4 years, so give it up and suck it up. Most females I know were of a similar opinion too.

+1.... I agree with you and Pulaski...

Personally I don't get it. Women and Men have equal rights in the US. Trump isn't trying to stop that, and never has. Why not protest against the way women are treated in Saudi Arabia or Somalia?

dbd33 Jan 23rd 2017 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by Gozit (Post 12159434)
Personally I don't get it. Women and Men have equal rights in the US.

That's why they earn the same wage for the same work.

Souvy Jan 23rd 2017 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12159467)
That's why they earn the same wage for the same work.

They do?

If so, that's disgusting!

Women spend all their earnings, and more, on shoes and other frippery.

Men spend all their earnings, and more, on paying the Visa bills.

dbd33 Jan 23rd 2017 7:03 pm

Why not protest against the way women are treated in Saudi Arabia or Somalia?

This sort of treatment?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...al-ngo-funding

Pulaski Jan 23rd 2017 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12159376)

Stops large majorities in large states pushing their agenda on the rest of the country. It doesn't matter how large the majority is in say, California or Texas, the impact of California and Texas on the presidential vote is capped.

bats Jan 23rd 2017 10:58 pm

+1.... I agree with you and Pulaski...

Personally I don't get it. Women and Men have equal rights in the US. Trump isn't trying to stop that, and never has. Why not protest against the way women are treated in Saudi Arabia or Somalia?

BUt they were protesting that too. Human rights in general and women's rights in particular. As I said upthread, access to contraception, gynaecological health, abortion, women's shelters.
Did you see Trump and those men today signing off against funding abortion? Not one woman there.

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd (Post 12159301)

Is this apathy or submission? You don't know until you try.

Btw if men don't support contraception access for women then they won't be getting much sex and when they do they'll have to use s condom.

bats Jan 23rd 2017 11:34 pm

Equal pay in the USA

here's a map

http://www.aauw.org/files/2016/09/st...e-fall2016.jpg

kimilseung Jan 24th 2017 1:41 am

The probable serial sexual assaulter, today made an executive order that restricts women's access to reproductive health across many parts of the world, no doubt leading to risk as woman turn to back street alternatives.

Dorothy Jan 24th 2017 2:30 am

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 12159772)
The probable serial sexual assaulter, today made an executive order that restricts women's access to reproductive health across many parts of the world, no doubt leading to risk as woman turn to back street alternatives.

But that's alright. Women and men have equal rights in America. Gozit said so.

BEVS Jan 24th 2017 8:37 am

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 12159772)
today made an executive order that restricts women's access to reproductive health across many parts of the world,

& that made me sad. So reminisce of times long gone

caretaker Jan 24th 2017 11:14 am

The women of Sandy Cove made the CBC National web page.
N.S. village hosts one of the smallest women's marches, but it's still mighty - Nova Scotia - CBC News