Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Making America Hate Again Ladies?

Making America Hate Again Ladies?

Old Jan 26th 2017, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Making America Hate Again Ladies?

Originally Posted by bats
That's pretty insulting isn't it? So those who don't have success are weak women? I'm older than you and my mother worked full time. She, as was I, was propositioned, assaulted, demeaned, belittled, by some of her employers and colleagues. We aren't weak women . I would say that those strong women in your life have had the same too, they just don't mention it as it's not unusual.

Now, for the marches, a peaceful protest is militant? The world would never have progressed if it weren't for protest marches. Most of the liberties that you enjoy now we're the result of protest.

I've read that scientists are going to march to protest against Trump's ban on public comments by the Environment Agency. Maybe Canadians should have marched when Harper gagged government employed scientists here.

I don't insult people, that wasnt my intention, just because i said ive been used to being around strong women, its doesn't make other women weak! Quite the opposite, in my experience strong women are not the norm, so thats what has got them through the incidents you say, but this isnt taking anything away from other women, I whole heartedly agree they shouldnt have to deal with such inappropriate actions, from "men"

However, these kind of men dont stop at behaving like that to women, they will attack anyone including their male coworkers in a bid to make themselves look good or just because thats the way they are wired.

I am not one that relishes confrontation, I will avoid it if I can, but being this way puts me at a disadvangtage because its an easy target for these kind of people like they thing some women are an easy target.

Just two or three years ago, I had a run in with my boss, which kicked off a very bad relationship between us, he didnt like the fact i went over his head i something because i thought he was wrong. Following this i got blamed for stuff i didnt do, inaccurate data was held against me in career apprasials, and i was held back in my career progression, because he didnt like me....he was basically being a bully. I was livid....so i know what that feels like to be treated in that way to a certain extent.

Some time later it did end in confrontation, I had no choice but the good thing was, is that other people had noticed his behaviour towards me too. After it came to a head and i called him on it and got my ducks in a row to dispel his inaccurate data, he then backed off, and things have been ok since.

What im trying to say, is that many of these actions are by men who are out and out bullys and its not just women they target. Thankfully i feel its becoming less tolerated in the workplace and as i said, things are slowly progressing for women due to the gradual changes in gender roles compared to what they were just 30-40 years ago.

Im probably still missing your point, but i can only go in my own experiences, added to the fact that every single one of us see things differently.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 5:04 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
That's pretty insulting isn't it? So those who don't have success are weak women?
On post #69 of P_S, I don't read it as being an insulting comment.

Could it be your own interpretation on that post, or are you simply just trying to 'smart ass' stir it up?

Last edited by not2old; Jan 26th 2017 at 5:07 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 5:10 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Paul @ post # 76

You are wasting your time trying to justify your post to someone that I will say is a troll.

Best to ignore any jabs or wind-up's from posters that think they are 'smart ass'

Your 'personal life experience comments' & views to this thread have been decent & not insulting.... 'keep calm & carry on & ignore the troll
Old Jan 26th 2017, 5:15 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

I totally get your point Paul, as I understand bats points too, I have had similar negative experiences, being bullied at work if u like, as such, made to work late and told to get on with it. On one occasion I was working London and followed a chap to Brighton, by the time the guy got to his destination it was 9 pm, I been on the road since 6am.

I was then told I needed to get back to London to start a Rush job 6am next day. I said I need a hotel and was told to work the Rush or go home !! I fell asleep on the motorway that night. Only for a few seconds, I almost hit the centre rail. The painted bumps woke me. It never happened again, in hindsight I should have just booked a Hotel and said F U. But the pressure is always on to pay the mortgage and bills !!!
Old Jan 26th 2017, 5:21 pm
Dichotomus tinker

derailing the thread....

bring back the good old days of 'mad men' the Don Draper, Peggy Olson & Joan Harris..... now that is how women fit in the workplace

Last edited by not2old; Jan 26th 2017 at 5:24 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 6:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
Actually there is more to the issue.
Yes, there is.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 7:28 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Yes, there is.
Yes, indeed there is.

Women are just as good as men. They should be treated exactly the same.

The two people in this world I admire and trust the most are both women.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 7:53 pm
Dichotomus tinker

is there such a thing ever as total equality?

Saying that, (without answering the following if you don't want to) take it that in a two person co-habiting male - female relationship, with or without children

which of you is boss in your household?

which of you makes the final decision?

which of you earns the most money or has the better job?

who in the two of you communicates the best?

are either of you not trustworthy?

have either of you been disloyal to the other?

when push comes to shove - which of you has the strongest personality.... 'my way or the highway'?

when all hell breaks loose - which of you rises to the top?

And BTW, the same questions apply for a same sex relationship
Old Jan 26th 2017, 8:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old

Saying that, (without answering the following if you don't want to) take it that in a two person co-habiting male - female relationship, with or without children

would not say there is a boss really.

we make decisions together.

My wife earns more and typically has the better job.

She does.

when push comes to shove - which of you has the strongest personality.... 'my way or the highway'?

She has a stronger outgoing personality but isnt the my way or highway type of person

She does. She manages stress far better then I do.

Bolded parts.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 8:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
You're assuming that there are jobs for these people to go into. In some Wal-Mart towns or areas, that is not necessarily the case.
I quite agree in many areas there aren't the jobs, and also for many moving because of limited financial resources isn't an option. However my post was more in response to looking at wage differences between groups and genders, and how to better address overall.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
Yes, indeed there is.

Women are just as good as men. They should be treated exactly the same.

The two people in this world I admire and trust the most are both women.

Only a fool would disagree with that.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Excellent point sir, I always believe a married couple or cohabiting partners are a "team", and this is how i have always explained it to potential significant others from the start. I beleive each of you brings something to the table in a commited relationship, thats what makes it a sucessful relationship. TEAMwork!
Old Jan 26th 2017, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by magnumpi
I totally get your point Paul, as I understand bats points too, I have had similar negative experiences, being bullied at work if u like, as such, made to work late and told to get on with it. On one occasion I was working London and followed a chap to Brighton, by the time the guy got to his destination it was 9 pm, I been on the road since 6am.

I was then told I needed to get back to London to start a Rush job 6am next day. I said I need a hotel and was told to work the Rush or go home !! I fell asleep on the motorway that night. Only for a few seconds, I almost hit the centre rail. The painted bumps woke me. It never happened again, in hindsight I should have just booked a Hotel and said F U. But the pressure is always on to pay the mortgage and bills !!!
I think many of us have, not all because obviously there have to be the aggressors, but its interesting to know you have had similar experiences, glad you made it through and learned the best way to deal with people like that.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 8:44 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by morpeth
Walmart is a poster child for problems in how US economy is structured. Workers who have a job yet qualify for food stamps show that the wages are way too low in many pats of he country.

Judging from local Walmart, many women working there for variety of reasons. Many simply their husbands' real wages haven't kept up with cost of living; some want shift work so they are at home when children out of school; sometime men earn less at some factory jobs but prefer that type of work or simply aren't good at being cashiers.
simple really isn't it

Going back 100 or so years, girls & women have been labelled (shoved) into less physical jobs than men & its stuck there, right there.

The 20's, through the 50's females have always mostly been in 'soft jobs'. These are jobs that don't require physical strength or that require workers to wear overalls, get their fingers or hands dirty (god forbid a broken nail - picture it)

Whether its as school teacher, nurses, daycaring/babysitting, char lady, domestic, store clerks/shop keepers, admin right down to fast food places... they have been 'labelled' and told (way back when) that the only jobs open to the majority of them would have been the soft jobs.

Society for the most part has expected to see the role play in certain jobs to be occupied by male or female

Thank goodness the war years showed & proved that females can be just as productive as the men, even though they got less pay & never barked about it

I think that from the 70's onwards more & more females are in what was once male dominant controlled jobs, away from the soft jobs into more professional jobs.

Here we are 2017 that the majority of retail jobs & clerical jobs are in the hands of females.

Walmart as an example know females are in the majority of retail jobs because thats the way its always been, so walmart continues down that path.

Are males more agressive when it comes to wage & workplace demands - well, still an equality there eh!

Gas station attendants, car mechanics, other trades was generally seen as a what a male did.

Men dug ditches, drove big trucks, coal miners, trades and were up till the 70's male dominated law enforcement, firefighters, airline pilots, and whatever else could only be done or justified roles that males do.

Equality & hand off of ALL male roles to females is not here yet.

Sure there are many females in the healthcare professions, as administrators, engineers, scientists, astronauts, accountants, lawyers, managers, executives. Still its not equal in terms of numbers or pay scale

Back to Walmart... its a female role by the fact its always been that way & probably society is expecting it to be just that & because the folks at the top running it are males, that will continue to pay these jobs at minimum wage

Last edited by not2old; Jan 26th 2017 at 8:49 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 8:49 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

simple really isn't it

Going back 100 or so years, girls & women have been labelled (shoved) into less physical jobs than men & its stuck there, right there.

The 20's, through the 50's females have always mostly been in 'soft jobs'. These are jobs that don't require physical strength or that require workers to wear overalls, get their fingers or hands dirty (god forbid a broken nail - picture it)

Whether its as school teacher, nurses, daycaring/babysitting, char lady, domestic, store clerks/shop keepers, admin right down to fast food places... they have been 'labelled' and told (way back when) that the only jobs open to the majority of them would have been the soft jobs.

Society for the most part has expected to see the role play in certain jobs to be occupied by male or female
They're not "soft jobs" but are extensions of childrearing. Professions that were acceptable/non-threatening to a patriarchal society for middle-class women to practice. Also to note, it's interesting that zookeepers are paid a lot more than teachers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.