Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Making America Hate Again Ladies?

Making America Hate Again Ladies?

Old Jan 25th 2017, 9:25 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Making America Hate Again Ladies?

Originally Posted by bats
Discrimination starts when we ascribe different characters and attributes according to gender. A dominant girl child is pushy or bossy and told to quieted down, a dominant boy child is praised and encouraged.
And is that why America will never have a female President?

Just surprised the UK & Germany have female leaders, then again I suppose its their 5 minutes of fame that the 'old boys' let them have a turn at it?

Then there is the 'old bag' monarchy in Britain that just won't give it up, which hopefully after she is done, never to see another one again
Old Jan 25th 2017, 9:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Even though Trump is a misogynist, I cant see his administration taking rights away from women that are established
Through the ACA there was limited provision for abortion. Now there isn't.

See also Planned Parenthood.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
You strike me as the sort of person who will have been to WalMart. WalMart is a famously crappy employer and cashier at WalMart is a particularly crappy job entailing shifts, too few hours for benefits and a need to deal with loathsome customers daily. What do the cashiers at WalMart have in common? They're women, that's what.

Why do you think women choose to be cashiers at WalMart rather than accountants, plumbers, professional golfers and so on? It could be that women like to be poorly paid, have sore feet and be treated badly. It could also be that there's something in the system that puts disproportionate numbers of them there.

I don't think anyone wants sore feet so my money is on systemic discrimination.
Yes i have been to Walmart....hasnt everyone? and yes ive heard they are not particulary a generous employer, but a big reason for this is to fuel the appetite of the public for super cheap mass produced Chinese made products, to keep costs low this is one of the down sides, cheap labour, however were deviating from the point here.

Yes most of the cashiers appear to be women, i never put any thought into this was because of gender inequality, i just assumed that these women were not forunate enough to come from a family where they were able or likely to get an education, so this was their only option,.....in much the same way their male counterparts will get a job as a factory or building site labourer for the same reason, and with the same down sides as having a job at Walmart. They probably pay about the same, and neither offer any benefits, but i think a young lad is more inclined to go for a labouring job over being a cashier at walmart, and not all women have the physical strength to carry out a labouring job even of they wanted to.

Neither my sister or I came from a priviledged family, but thanks to our parents guiding us in the right direction but we both managed to get an education which opened doors to the jobs you have mentioned. She has always had a good job, but has met some misogynisitc men along way, however my sister is no shrinking violet and dealt with them in the appropriate manner.

Last edited by Paul_Shepherd; Jan 25th 2017 at 9:37 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 9:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes i have been to Walmart....hasnt everyone? and yes ive heard they are not particulary a generous employer, but a big reason for this is to fuel the appetite of the public for super cheap mass produced Chinese made products, to keep costs low this is one of the down sides, cheap labour, however were deviating from the point here.

Yes most of the cashiers appear to be women, i never put any thought into this was because of gender inequality, i just assumed that these women were not forunate enough to come from a family where they were able or more likely to get an education, so this was their only option,.....in much the same way their male counterparts will get a job as a factory or building site labourer for the same reason, and with the same down sides as having a job at Walmart. They probably pay about the same, and neither offer any benefits, but i think a young lad is more inclined to go for a labouring job over being a cashier at walmart, and not all women have the physical strength to carry out a labouring job even of they wanted to.

Neither my sister or I came from a priviledged family, but thanks to our parents guiding us in the right direction but we both managed to get an education which opened doors to the jobs you have mentioned. She has always had a good job, but has met some misogynisitc men along way, however my sister is not shrinking violet and dealt with them in the appropriate manner.
To determine whether or not there's discrimination you have to look at the general case and, in general, women earn less and have less benefits. Yes, there are strong and successful individual women, black people, disabled people, but, as groups, these people are disadvantaged. Trump is not going to help that.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 9:43 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

In Canada, aren't most of the cashiers, store check out, bank tellers mainly females?

Most if not all clerical employees at reception level, you see in a doctors/dentist/hospital setting office the majority also females

And that the majority of nurses, ones that take blood, do xrays, assist dentist are also female

Grade school & high school teachers across Canada, the majority is female

Tim's, hooters, the fast food industry... mostly females

Females are in controlling positions

Most gas station employees are immigrant male

Majority of trades people are male

Males continue to dig ditches

Last edited by not2old; Jan 25th 2017 at 9:56 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 10:49 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Fair point about the dominant girl child told to quieten down but not the male dominant child.... but this is what it used to be like, things are really only just starting to change...and this is because gender roles have only just started to change, more apparently over the last 20 years, so things are changing, but its not like a light switch, things cant change over night.

When I was a child in the 70s, I grew up in a family where my Dad went out to work (and worked very hard) paid for everything and my mom looked after the home and raised my sister and I….(and also worked very hard) thats what it was like back then, of course these days things have changed a lot, and most families relationships are equal, both have a job and both equally share the domestic chores. Or even the other way around where the woman will be the highest earner, and the man will look after the home and the children

I suppose what I am trying to say is that times are changing and have already come a long way, they will continue to change, as changing gender roles have progressed, people view life through different eyes than what they used to and the next generation will progress further.

Even though Trump is a misogynist, I cant see his administration taking rights away from women that are established, (but don’t quote me in that ) I think there are other things that will occupy his presidential priorities. Granted he probably wont do anything to promote the cause of women in the work place, but then did Obama?

I think progression in this department is more down to natural progression of a culture and mind set of its people. Trump is a bad ambassdor for this especially being in such a powerful position. However the people who see him as a “role model” are unlikely going to change their thinking anyway.

Culture and mindset in firstworld countries will continue to progress regardless of Trump, as his opinions and perception of women will be increasingly seen as out of date and irrelevant to your average person, if theyre not already.
You really haven't a clue about this. You think you do and you mean well but no, no idea.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 12:18 am
Dichotomus tinker

Fair point about the dominant girl child told to quieten down but not the male dominant child.... but this is what it used to be like, things are really only just starting to change...and this is because gender roles have only just started to change, more apparently over the last 20 years, so things are changing, but its not like a light switch, things cant change over night.

When I was a child in the 70s, I grew up in a family where my Dad went out to work (and worked very hard) paid for everything and my mom looked after the home and raised my sister and I….(and also worked very hard) thats what it was like back then, of course these days things have changed a lot, and most families relationships are equal, both have a job and both equally share the domestic chores.

Or even the other way around where the woman will be the highest earner, and the man will look after the home and the children

I suppose what I am trying to say is that times are changing and have already come a long way, they will continue to change, as changing gender roles have progressed, people view life through different eyes than what they used to and the next generation will progress further.

there is a lot in what you just posted.

Depends on the generation you were born in, your parents behaviour & that towards the male/female roles at home & work, the way you were brought up in the society that you lived in.

My early years (late 40's early 50's) growing up in a blue collar family on a council estate, it was Mum that stayed at home & dad worked. No two if buts about it. It was only when my dad died when I just became a teenager that my mum had to go out to work.

Today in a married couple household both of them need to work in order to pay the bills. Its not about equal roles or sharing responsibilities.

There are also more single parent families today, as well as a higher divorce rate than way back when

I can only guess that there are more females are getting out there showing their presence in the work place, taking charge in active males jobs than it was from my 1960's generation, not as fast as they would like to be in every job with the same pay as their male counterparts - but its getting there... for some reason someone, somewhere won't let it happen & no, equality will be a long time coming IMO.

Ignoring the feminist viewpoint, or that there is inequality in all professions, wages are less for females in the same job as men - the fact is that females will always be second best as viewed by males & it will be a long way down the road till it reverses IMO

You get the 'we are all equal, no matter what gender or race'... its all BS

For the vast majority of the workforce, I'd would like to see every job/position at the grocery store, Tim's, all fast food outlets, the healthcare sector, teachers, jobs at the Canadian federal government be given to the majority of males.

Let the roles reverse - males become second fiddle....I would like to see it before I pop my clogs, but will it happen?

So, Paul your point about your 70's upbringing is different than my 50's, as it is for our just turned 30 daughter who has to fight her way to the top against what she says is way too easy for her male counterpart of the same age, same education & skill set

Last edited by not2old; Jan 26th 2017 at 12:32 am. Reason: edit
Old Jan 26th 2017, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

To determine whether or not there's discrimination you have to look at the general case and, in general, women earn less and have less benefits. Yes, there are strong and successful individual women, black people, disabled people, but, as groups, these people are disadvantaged. Trump is not going to help that.
Yes, but this is gradually changing, and will continue to so, it just takes time. I agree Trump wont help this, but I dont think things will take a step back.

Ive felt strongly about certain politcally leaders taking office before and strongly disagree with the policies on certain things. However i will cast my vote in four/five years time and have my say again, thats how the system works.

Just cant see what marching and shouting with placards will do, but then ive never been into that kind of behavior, it wont and cant change the outcome so why not concentrate efforts on things you can.

Just my simplisitc view on it.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bats
You really haven't a clue about this. You think you do and you mean well but no, no idea.
Well maybe i dont, its just my opinion, I think a lot of an individual's opinions are usually formed at a young age, my mom was a strong woman and had strong opinions on political issues. So maybe its because i have been around strong women all my life (mom sister girlfriends) is why i see things the way I do.

Anyway this got away from my original post i started with, which was quite a simple comment about protest marches, really dont see the point in them, lot of energy, and they dont achieve anything except disruption, but if people want to do that it is a free world, but its a little too militant for me, its just anti establishment behaviour. The US like Canada and the UK is a first world country and they all have a democratic systems for the people to have their say.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by not2old
there is a lot in what you just posted.

Depends on the generation you were born in, your parents behaviour & that towards the male/female roles at home & work, the way you were brought up in the society that you lived in.

My early years (late 40's early 50's) growing up in a blue collar family on a council estate, it was Mum that stayed at home & dad worked. No two if buts about it. It was only when my dad died when I just became a teenager that my mum had to go out to work.

Today in a married couple household both of them need to work in order to pay the bills. Its not about equal roles or sharing responsibilities.

There are also more single parent families today, as well as a higher divorce rate than way back when

I can only guess that there are more females are getting out there showing their presence in the work place, taking charge in active males jobs than it was from my 1960's generation, not as fast as they would like to be in every job with the same pay as their male counterparts - but its getting there... for some reason someone, somewhere won't let it happen & no, equality will be a long time coming IMO.

Ignoring the feminist viewpoint, or that there is inequality in all professions, wages are less for females in the same job as men - the fact is that females will always be second best as viewed by males & it will be a long way down the road till it reverses IMO

You get the 'we are all equal, no matter what gender or race'... its all BS

For the vast majority of the workforce, I'd would like to see every job/position at the grocery store, Tim's, all fast food outlets, the healthcare sector, teachers, jobs at the Canadian federal government be given to the majority of males.

Let the roles reverse - males become second fiddle....I would like to see it before I pop my clogs, but will it happen?

So, Paul your point about your 70's upbringing is different than my 50's, as it is for our just turned 30 daughter who has to fight her way to the top against what she says is way too easy for her male counterpart of the same age, same education & skill set

To be honest, I agree with almost everything you have said you have said very similar things to what i have previously said in my posts. Mainly the fact that it depends on the era you were born in, and the behaviour of your parents and how you were brought up.

I also went on to say that i agree in many cases women are not treated equal in some jobs, and they do have to have a strong personalitly to overcome male dominated roles. However as i keep saying things are changing, they have come such a long way in such a short space of time....ive noticed a difference in that last 20 years, so where will be in another 20 years, we are evolving as a human race (well western countries anyway) it takes time. Rome wasnt built in a day so to speak.

My original point which i posted earlier was about the political anti establishment militant protest marches, i dont see the point of them, for any political cause unless were fighting a dictatortship.

Only exception I would make is if there was some form of injustice ie maybe if someone was wrongly convicted of murder or the real killer was running free but thats an extreme case. In this case no one has broken the law or commited a crime, democracy has spoken so why bother with these militant marches, I suppose we all have the things that are important to us, this is theirs, at least they can be glad we live in a free world, a constantly changing progressive free world.

Last edited by Paul_Shepherd; Jan 26th 2017 at 1:22 am.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 1:46 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Well maybe i dont, its just my opinion, I think a lot of an individual's opinions are usually formed at a young age, my mom was a strong woman and had strong opinions on political issues. So maybe its because i have been around strong women all my life (mom sister girlfriends) is why i see things the way I do.

Anyway this got away from my original post i started with, which was quite a simple comment about protest marches, really dont see the point in them, lot of energy, and they dont achieve anything except disruption, but if people want to do that it is a free world, but its a little too militant for me, its just anti establishment behaviour. The US like Canada and the UK is a first world country and they all have a democratic systems for the people to have their say.
That's pretty insulting isn't it? So those who don't have success are weak women? I'm older than you and my mother worked full time. She, as was I, was propositioned, assaulted, demeaned, belittled, by some of her employers and colleagues. We aren't weak women . I would say that those strong women in your life have had the same too, they just don't mention it as it's not unusual.

Now, for the marches, a peaceful protest is militant? The world would never have progressed if it weren't for protest marches. Most of the liberties that you enjoy now we're the result of protest.

I've read that scientists are going to march to protest against Trump's ban on public comments by the Environment Agency. Maybe Canadians should have marched when Harper gagged government employed scientists here.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 3:35 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously? Marches don't achieve anything except disruption? Perhaps history was never taught where you went to school, then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selma_...torical_impact
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_...bs_and_Freedom
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women%..._United_States

Closer to "home" for you...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suffragette
Old Jan 26th 2017, 8:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Actually there is more to the issue. If women in general are more likely to take a break from employment to raise children, and experience is a factor in determining wages, then the lower wages may not be discrimination because they are women but because they have less experience. If this is not factored in, then a general observation such as you refer to can be quite inaccurate as to the cause of lower wages.

Or some perceived discrimination in wages may be more from access to education, or inclination to get education ( both of which of course could be a result of discrimination in other areas). I read a few years ago that the percentage of MBA students who are women now exceeds that of men. So down the line if women in managerial positions start earning more than men due to higher education, would that mean there is discrimination against men ?

Discrimination generally is poor management when contributions from certain groups are not realized when they could have been, but social attitudes are hard to legislate. Age discrimination is very widespread, and affects all groups yet little heard about it.

I do think over time discrimination in wages will be reduced, the only practical measure I think that would help is greater provision of day care facilities and subsidies.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 8:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

You strike me as the sort of person who will have been to WalMart. WalMart is a famously crappy employer and cashier at WalMart is a particularly crappy job entailing shifts, too few hours for benefits and a need to deal with loathsome customers daily. What do the cashiers at WalMart have in common? They're women, that's what.

Why do you think women choose to be cashiers at WalMart rather than accountants, plumbers, professional golfers and so on? It could be that women like to be poorly paid, have sore feet and be treated badly. It could also be that there's something in the system that puts disproportionate numbers of them there.

I don't think anyone wants sore feet so my money is on systemic discrimination.
Walmart is a poster child for problems in how US economy is structured. Workers who have a job yet qualify for food stamps show that the wages are way too low in many pats of he country.

Judging from local Walmart, many women working there for variety of reasons. Many simply their husbands' real wages haven't kept up with cost of living; some want shift work so they are at home when children out of school; sometime men earn less at some factory jobs but prefer that type of work or simply aren't good at being cashiers; and I observed some younger men irresponsible and in local area there is heroin epidemic that contributes to this; some had children early in life so were not able to acquire greater skills. or marriages fell apart ( a whole different subject concerning "progress") work there out of desperation . I am not sure how many fall into each category, but I am not sure systemic discrimination is the only or even main factor.

As a practical matter, I think greater daycare options, and subsidies for training would do far more to address any actual discrimination in wages and opportunities - and would pay for themselves over time. I don't like government interfering in the economy in general, but lack of real wage growth and economic growth contributes much to the problem- if Walmart forced to pay a decent livable wage that would be a good start.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 11:25 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth

As a practical matter, I think greater daycare options, and subsidies for training would do far more to address any actual discrimination in wages and opportunities - and would pay for themselves over time. I don't like government interfering in the economy in general, but lack of real wage growth and economic growth contributes much to the problem- if Walmart forced to pay a decent livable wage that would be a good start.
You're assuming that there are jobs for these people to go into. In some Wal-Mart towns or areas, that is not necessarily the case.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.