Lunchtime Choices

Old Jan 16th 2018, 8:41 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lunchtime Choices

Make your own, you're better off. Look at the kimchi I have, and I just took a jar for the fridge at work.
Attached Thumbnails Lunchtime Choices-20180116_153849.jpg  
Old Jan 16th 2018, 9:05 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

I love to cook but I'm not into jarring and preserving

Can you deliver? Serious question.. I'd pay for good gear, man...
Old Jan 16th 2018, 9:14 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I love to cook but I'm not into jarring and preserving Can you deliver? Serious question.. I'd pay for good gear, man...
You buy a jar then put it in your fridge anyway... get a tub of gochujang paste and bottle of fish sauce at the Asian store and you already have ginger, garlic, sea salt, crushed chili and sugar. Buy the onions, cabbage, daikon and cucumbers on the way home. You don't even have to use the stove. Once again, just for the music:
Edit: I paid $10 for a 1kg tub of gochujang at the Asian store, it's well worth it, good in many ways, doesn't take much so lasts ages. My friend up north in the bush ordered it from Amazon. Amazon's gochugaru (Korean crushed chili without the seeds) is far too much though, $7 for 4oz when it's $8/lb at the store.
https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-mak...at-home-189390

Or this: https://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_sb_no...eywords=kimchi

Last edited by caretaker; Jan 16th 2018 at 10:35 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2018, 11:08 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Ham, cheddar, crackers, some cold pasta salad, a beer and a smoke.

I was still wearing my plaid PJs and Crocs.

Nice image, innit?
Old Jan 16th 2018, 11:31 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by Souvy
Nice image, innit?
Attached Thumbnails Lunchtime Choices-thehell.jpg  
Old Jan 17th 2018, 12:31 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I think lunch is my favourite meal of the day.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
You buy a jar then put it in your fridge anyway... get a tub of gochujang paste and bottle of fish sauce at the Asian store and you already have ginger, garlic, sea salt, crushed chili and sugar. Buy the onions, cabbage, daikon and cucumbers on the way home. You don't even have to use the stove. Once again, just for the music:
Edit: I paid $10 for a 1kg tub of gochujang at the Asian store, it's well worth it, good in many ways, doesn't take much so lasts ages. My friend up north in the bush ordered it from Amazon. Amazon's gochugaru (Korean crushed chili without the seeds) is far too much though, $7 for 4oz when it's $8/lb at the store.
https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-mak...at-home-189390

Or this: https://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_sb_no...eywords=kimchi
I have never tried kimchi, and the person in the first link said they didn't like it at first. So before I go to the bother of making it is there a ready-made version that is worth trying?

Last edited by Teaandtoday5; Jan 17th 2018 at 2:15 am. Reason: Usual hopeless typing
Old Jan 17th 2018, 2:41 am
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
I have never tried kimchi, and the person in the first link said they didn't like it at first. So before I go to the bother of making it is there a ready-made version that is worth trying?
I've never had store-bought kimchi, but if I was in the market I wouldn't be shy about trying Kimchi Korea from Ontario. I saw this program when it first aired and it explains quite a bit about it. The kimchi segment begins at 5:30.
Food Factory Video - Salty and Sweet | Season 2 Episode 2 - Foodnetwork.ca
Old Jan 17th 2018, 2:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

I've never had store-bought kimchi, but if I was in the market I wouldn't be shy about trying Kimchi Korea from Ontario. I saw this program when it first aired and it explains quite a bit about it. The kimchi segment begins at 5:30.
Thank you. I will find some to try. If nothing else I am fairly sure our last food truck festival had a Korean barbecue seller. However the recent failure of Bridge Farm kefir warns us that fermented foods do not necessarily suit the British palate
Old Jan 17th 2018, 3:07 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like cabbage and I don't like things that have gone off.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Oink
Previous posts suggest you are far from completely averse to the concept of fermentation.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
Previous posts suggest you are far from completely averse to the concept of fermentation.
I don't think eating rotten cabbage will mitigate the gross indignities of living here, the intoxicant needs to be somewhat stronger.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 12:07 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by Oink
Oh Oink, that's fine dear, just leave it on your plate and go outside and play. Teaandtoday5, the easiest way to try it might be if you're in the big city and see a Korean food truck slam on the brakes and get a dish with a side of kimchi.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 8:23 pm

Oh Oink, that's fine dear, just leave it on your plate and go outside and play. Teaandtoday5, the easiest way to try it might be if you're in the big city and see a Korean food truck slam on the brakes and get a dish with a side of kimchi.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 6:36 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Beef and vegetables and rice and beer.
Attached Thumbnails Lunchtime Choices-20180122_133003.jpg  

Last edited by caretaker; Jan 22nd 2018 at 6:50 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.