Lunchtime Choices

Old Nov 2nd 2016, 5:31 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lunchtime Choices

Originally Posted by caretaker
Well at least you have the guilt, (I have Cheeze Whiz in the fridge). Kraft makes a dry salty cheddar product and sells it in a little red plastic tub; discussed here in 2012, they call it MacLaren's Imperial cheese spread and only print Kraft somewhere out of the way about 1/16" tall. How bad are you if you have to hide your company name on your products?
Talking of Cheez Whizz, much as I respect Novocastrian's endorsement of Fromidable, it's Sobey's own Chedda Spredda that does it for me for quality branding.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 5:30 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

And the tub of jalapeƱo cheese is finished.

Pheeling sorry for my lack of filadephia.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 6:00 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
Pheeling sorry for my lack of filadephia.
Have you heated it so it became runny?

Last week I added a spoon of Urban Garlic to an egg and then sort of scrambled it. It mixed nicely and tasted delicious.

Today I thought I'd try melting it and adding it to egg for an omelette. I couldn't get it beyond super soft but it wouldn't go runny like butter and it didn't mix well.

It was nice enough when cooked but there were dollops of it in the omelette rather than cheese tasting egg. And, of course, it stuck to the pan in a couple of places.

Maybe if I zapped it a bit longer but I doubled the time on the second go and had it on full and it was no runnier than the first attempt.
Old Nov 21st 2016, 2:55 pm
Proudly Scarberian

I actually got some of that Bothwell horseradish cheese, and found it gave my sinuses a proper workout. I thought it was quite good, even though not part of the $2-off offer that inspired me to try. I recall you said it wa rather flavourless?

OTOH the PC creamed horseradish is delish, and so much better than the grated stuff I normally get from frescho.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Have you heated it so it became runny?

Last week I added a spoon of Urban Garlic to an egg and then sort of scrambled it. It mixed nicely and tasted delicious.

Today I thought I'd try melting it and adding it to egg for an omelette. I couldn't get it beyond super soft but it wouldn't go runny like butter and it didn't mix well.

It was nice enough when cooked but there were dollops of it in the omelette rather than cheese tasting egg. And, of course, it stuck to the pan in a couple of places.

Maybe if I zapped it a bit longer but I doubled the time on the second go and had it on full and it was no runnier than the first attempt.
Old Nov 21st 2016, 3:44 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
I actually got some of that Bothwell horseradish cheese, and found it gave my sinuses a proper workout. I thought it was quite good, even though not part of the $2-off offer that inspired me to try. I recall you said it wa rather flavourless?
The cheese itself I found extremely mild. Think the most tasteless cheese you can get and spread horseradish sauce on it.

That's how I discovered how nice marmite was with cheese on toast. I once had a really weak cheese and spread a bit of marmite on the toast before adding the cheese. Big difference.

OTOH the PC creamed horseradish is delish, and so much better than the grated stuff I normally get from frescho.
Yep, PC creamed horseradish is heavenly.
Old Nov 21st 2016, 4:22 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Originally Posted by BristolUK
The cheese itself I found extremely mild. Think the most tasteless cheese you can get and spread horseradish sauce on it.
Yes thats it- pure horseradish on plasticy cheese
Old Nov 29th 2016, 6:14 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

It's a good day for hot noodle soup so I boiled up the little cartons of wing tips cluttering up the freezing compartment for stock and made spicy pho' with red cabbage, onions, pork and shrimp.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 6:22 pm
Oscar nominated

I boiled up the little cartons of wing tips cluttering up the freezing compartment for stock and made spicy pho' with red cabbage, onions, pork and shrimp.
Your creativity knows no bounds.

The last time I did my own wings, I snipped off the tips and found the rest did much better without them - not sure why - but I threw the tips away. Now I feel guilty.

But I have a slow cooker on the go right now for your turkey leg soup idea.
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 7:56 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

St Hubert Tourtiere, a Quebec classic.
Attached Thumbnails Lunchtime Choices-st-hubert-tourtierre.png  
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 10:43 pm
Oscar nominated

It looks more substantial than Schneiders.
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 10:58 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

They have that where I get my sausage rolls but I haven't been brave enough to try it.
Old Dec 4th 2016, 12:29 am
Stand-up Philosopher

They were $5 at No Frills, I had to.
Old Dec 19th 2016, 5:27 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Grilled cheese and onion sandwiches. I read a review of great Vancouver Chinese seafood restaurants while I ate.
Old Jan 8th 2017, 5:46 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Wings and beer. Buffalo wing sauce is a highly condensed vegetable.
Mostly the net recipe, 3 or more tbsp olive oil, s&p, tsp cayenne, tsp chili pwdr, 3 cloves pressed garlic, (all these measurements depend on how many wings, obviously, and how much you like garlic). Mix it all up good and stir up the wings until well coated. I rub a touch of canola oil all over a baking sheet, game on, 22 min @ 375, flip them over, 22 min more. Keep an eye on them, that's what it takes in my oven. Toss with some diced up butter then when that's almost melted add just enough Buffalo wing sauce to coat. This is the one I like, and it's from the dollar store.
Attached Thumbnails Lunchtime Choices-buffalo-wingsauce1.jpg  

Last edited by caretaker; Jan 8th 2017 at 6:26 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 5:16 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Cucumber wedges served in ice with Bombay gin, tonic, and Angostura bitters. Canada's Food Guide is served once again.

Last edited by caretaker; Jan 12th 2017 at 5:18 pm. Reason: celebrating colonial oppression and military twits

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.