Lunchtime Choices

Old Sep 15th 2020, 10:17 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lunchtime Choices

Simplicity is the key. Bread, butter, cheese (cheddar and Stilton), a big pickled onion and perhaps a spoonful of Branston. That's all you need. Once you start adding more, you're on a slippery slope and will end up serving it on a slate with vinaigrette and capers and juniper-infused beetroot while riding a unicycle.

If you absolutely must add more to the base, it is acceptable to empty a bag of cheese & onion crisps onto the side of the plate.

Old Sep 15th 2020, 11:05 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Simplicity is the key. Bread, butter, cheese (cheddar and Stilton), a big pickled onion and perhaps a spoonful of Branston. That's all you need. Once you start adding more, you're on a slippery slope and will end up serving it on a slate with vinaigrette and capers and juniper-infused beetroot while riding a unicycle.

If you absolutely must add more to the base, it is acceptable to empty a bag of cheese & onion crisps onto the side of the plate.
Wot, no pork pie?
Old Sep 15th 2020, 11:07 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
A lovely friend of mine gave me some expensive English cheddar, Stilton and a jar of Branston pickle for my birthday, which was last Saturday. I don't usually eat cheese as I think it's just gone off milk but as my mate is brilliant and wanting to think of a way of giving his present the respect that it deserves, I thought I'd do a seven-day ploughman's lunch challenge. While I don't particularly like them [ploughman's not challenges] I do the love the romantic idea of a pub one. The dabbled light filtering through the nicotine stained lace curtains of the pub window while Fred the Gates is regaling you with stories of his newest gate creation while you're trying to munch through a savoury lunchy treat while breathing in the acrid air of Bensons and Silk Cut. So tomorrow morning I’m off to get a jar of pickled onions (eurghhhh) but they seem to be central to a traditional ploughman's. But I'm not averse to branching out and I want to change them up, it is as it is a challenge after all. I'm sure we’ve talked about this topic before but as I'm too naffing lazy to look back through the threads, I need some new, fresh and novel ideas on what to put in a Ploughman’s lunch. So any constructive, actually any input would be greatly appreciated.

PS I won't be putting this exercise on YouTube because people who do are cads.

PPS sorry for the widely overindulgent prattle but I've just drank 11 tall cans of lager and four shots of something called a lemon drop while being awake for approximately 40 or so hours. Suffice to say HID is away. She's on some covid policy fact-finding bolloxy nonsense. Still, she's away.
I'm quite impressed that you could be so coherent after all that booze. There must be an Australian somewhere in your family tree.
Old Sep 15th 2020, 11:14 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I'm quite impressed that you could be so coherent after all that booze. There must be an Australian somewhere in your family tree.
Not very impressive when I really meant "dappled" plus I'm feeling a bit like I shouldn't have eaten 3/4 of the mega butter chicken pizza I ordered on the way home.

Last edited by Oink; Sep 15th 2020 at 11:19 am.
Old Sep 15th 2020, 11:17 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Nice one but I've six other ones to construct

Wot, no pork pie?
Definitely going to add some pork pie in the mix. Also, I might try and do some various continental element to a ploughman's. That might work.
Old Sep 15th 2020, 11:26 am
Concierge

Nice one but I've six other ones to construct

Definitely going to add some pork pie in the mix. Also, I might try and do some various continental element to a ploughman's. That might work.
Since HID is away you can go all out without risk of being, er, offensive - I'd be getting some hungarian salami as well. You could call it a stinkyman's lunch.
Old Sep 15th 2020, 11:33 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Wot, no pork pie?
Oh, I did forget about that. Funny, I absolutely love pork pies but I've not been eating much meat recently so didn't even think about it. However, yes, it does have a place in the ploughman's lunch but it mustn't steal the thunder from the cheese... a modest slice of pork pie, perhaps even the one with the egg in the middle.
Old Sep 15th 2020, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Mustard. Cheese and mustard are a marriage made in heaven as long as there's butter included. sausage rolls?
Old Sep 15th 2020, 11:37 am
Concierge

Oh, I did forget about that. Funny, I absolutely love pork pies but I've not been eating much meat recently so didn't even think about it. However, yes, it does have a place in the ploughman's lunch but it mustn't steal the thunder from the cheese... a modest slice of pork pie, perhaps even the one with the egg in the middle.
I'm actually quite relieved to hear that, I thought it might just be a weird scouse thing and I'd been doing it wrong all these years! It's good to have a bit of a break from meat isn't it.
Old Sep 15th 2020, 2:15 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

If the cheese is tasty and the bread is crusty nothing more is needed than the pickled onions and butter on the bread.

I've had them with Branston and even an apple...grapes too come to think of it. Adding pork pie, as nice as it is, and other things turns it into a 'platter' or buffet which is no bad thing; it's just not a ploughman's anymore.
Old Sep 15th 2020, 5:42 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I can do slices of a nice crusty baguette. Anything else? An piece of apple, tomato or if you're a modern ploughman you might be into some rather spicy capers.
Apple and tomato are indulgences to make it seem healthier - they have no place on a traditional ploughmans.. Gala Pie (the pork pie with egg in it) is a bit fancy - perhaps a scotch egg might work.

What about some Piccalilli pickle (mustard pickles) - that might give you a change up.. or some silverskin 'sweet' pickled onions, perhaps.. (both available at Walmart and other fine grocery stores
Cider or beer to wash it down is essential

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 15th 2020 at 5:46 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2020, 6:27 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I like a Greek salad.

Old Sep 15th 2020, 6:33 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
I like a Greek salad.
Needs a few more olives.
Especially nice eaten in Greece washed down with an Amstel

Old Sep 15th 2020, 6:37 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Needs a few more olives.
Just counting the pits, and there were 10, which is about right for a bowl that size. I know what I'm doing.
Old Sep 15th 2020, 6:42 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by caretaker
Just counting the pits, and there were 10, which is about right for a bowl that size. I know what I'm doing.
Yep. They must have been hiding in the picture.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.